Notices

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
In the meantime, there are other note services that work fine. I'd be interested in additional suggestions, too.

www.mindmeister.com is a mindmapping site that I have used quite a bit, though it really works best on a non-tablet. It has a very similar email service to the one evernote has, in addition to nice simple mindmapping.

www.bubbl.us has nice graphics and is also a mindmapping site that seems promising

www.ubernote.com is just notes and works fine.

The above are all free, though they may have premium services. Free is important to me!

Oh, and don't forget Notecase, which has a specific version for the N800 or N810. It's not web based, unfortunately, but some site that allowed me to store my notes on it + Notecase might be just as good as most things out there.

Last edited by geneven; 2008-06-04 at 19:28.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Just my $.02...

My vote is for Notecase. It has completely replaced my Palm/outlook Memos.

Notecase on N8x0 OS2008 (data file on SD card)
Notecase portable f/ windows installed on same SD card (External N800) when connected to PC via USB

This way I can access my notes from my N800 or from my PC.

If I am Mobile and I need to 'Note' something I have taken to using Jott (reQall now that Jott's !Free) to send myself emails or SMS reminders. Works great so far.

As always: what works for me...

Matt

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Last edited by Snoshrk; 2009-01-15 at 21:11. Reason: Update Jott to reQall

@KJ: About two minutes effort, and you'd have known; Xournal uses an XML format which is simpler than SVG, but SVG compatibility is on the list. It should be pretty simple to write a converter, meanwhile.

Also, if evernote (online) can do HWR from JPEG or whatever, you can always rasterize & compress a PDF, and upload that...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
@KJ: About two minutes effort, and you'd have known; Xournal uses an XML format which is simpler than SVG, but SVG compatibility is on the list. It should be pretty simple to write a converter, meanwhile.

Also, if evernote (online) can do HWR from JPEG or whatever, you can always rasterize & compress a PDF, and upload that...
I think you misunderstand; I don't want to do that, none of it. I don't want to use my Itablet as a glorified paper notepad and I certainly don't want to depend on a pc to turn my notes into text.

But, if someone were to be so inclined, I'm sure they'd appreciate your suggestions.

''You'', in the generic reader sense. The only ''you'' referring to you was the one who'd have known with two minutes effort. (To me, if it's worth the trouble to post disparagingly about a presumed non-standard format, it's worth up to five minutes to try to dig up the dirt on that format; if you can't find it, then you can at least grouch that it's not documented anyplace accessible...)

I understand you don't, though I would point out that you could use the tablet for writing grouches, gripes, and complaints about Nokia. Doesn't that sound just a little tempting?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I understand you don't, though I would point out that you could use the tablet for writing grouches, gripes, and complaints about Nokia. Doesn't that sound just a little tempting?
I'd much rather dig out my Newton for that. Seems to make so much more sense...

Well, I'd use the Newton for complaints about His Project-Killing Jobsn*ss, and the Nokias for complaints about Nokia... keep the pain fresh in your mind.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
In the meantime, there are other note services that work fine. I'd be interested in additional suggestions, too.

www.mindmeister.com is a mindmapping site that I have used quite a bit, though it really works best on a non-tablet. It has a very similar email service to the one evernote has, in addition to nice simple mindmapping.

www.bubbl.us has nice graphics and is also a mindmapping site that seems promising

www.ubernote.com is just notes and works fine.

The above are all free, though they may have premium services. Free is important to me!

Oh, and don't forget Notecase, which has a specific version for the N800 or N810. It's not web based, unfortunately, but some site that allowed me to store my notes on it + Notecase might be just as good as most things out there.
Thanks for several of these suggestions; I'm going to look into them and Notecase,

I am in the Evernote beta but a server based solution seems out of the question for work related data. I doubt the security people would like me to store confidential data on a 3rd party server.

Tiddlywiki might be the answer for me. It works on any PC platform and the IT. I haven't figured a good way to document outstanding To Do's in it like Evernote.

Frank

Well, I'd use the Newton for complaints about His Project-Killing Jobsn*ss, and the Nokias for complaints about Nokia... keep the pain fresh in your mind.
BTDTASTOeB.

(Been There, Done That, Already Sold the T-shirt On eBay)

I hate Jobs even more than Microsoft. Nokia I just mildly dislike. Also, writing or typing on the Itablets is really hard, so the second part of your idea... not good.

(I'm watching old episodes of "Becker" these days. Never knew how much we have in common)

Me neither; wtbleep is "Becker"? Did I inadvertently quote him?