Active Topics

ok i want to use my home printer from my n800 while at work now i have my printer setup from my linux server pc using something called cups
now my windows pc can print with local ip and the net ip but i cant find printer section on the n800 my n800 did mess up so im guessing my config may be messed up is there any way to add a printer manualy or do i need to reflash my n800

There is no printing support in N800

serously? i mean its linux its a mini operating system theres got to be print support

Originally Posted by mrgreaper View Post
serously? i mean its linux its a mini operating system theres got to be print support
Seriously. Just because "it is linux" or "it is an operating system" does not mean it has printing support. I don't remember my "palm pilot" being able to print.

In fact printing support was probably removed for space reasons. The fact that claws-mail has a "print" menu option is more of an oversite in porting from it from debian.

On the other hand user penguinbait did some work to add printing support. See this blog entry for some instructions. Note: these instructions assume a fair amount of familiarity with linux and maemo. Even so, it won't add printing support from maemo applications that don't have it. It'll allow you to print from the command line and possibly certain other applications like claws-mail.

The Following User Says Thank You to jcharpak For This Useful Post:
Printing works on Deblet
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
The printing programs are huge, over 100 Mb, thus they were left out because it was too much space.

Oh, and palm had bluetooth printing (the Palm itself does not do anything, the printer process the data), so...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Printing has been accomplished from the tablets (see previous posts by myself and Penguinbait on the subject). It's just not currently in a casual-user-friendly state atm...

Printing works, and it's not necessary to install the bigger N8x0 cups package if you don't want to. The alternative is to install the 'lprng' package, which gives you a simple print spooler that prints to a networked printer (just as the printer described by the first poster).
I described the procedure in this thread: http://internettablettalk.com/forums...ad.php?t=10891
The package is built for OS2007, but from all reports it should install without problems in OS2008 too. BTW, it's really tiny.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2008-10-08 at 13:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
May I advice you reading this thread... http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ghlight=nprint
It's a quick, simple, tiny, elegant solution for printing which should work with your setup.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
I have installed cups to my debian chroot, so i can print from openoffice.org, firefox, etc...

The Following User Says Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post: