Posts: 50 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kent, UK
Good news

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Check this out

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=46445
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Great news

heres a better link to see the meego info http://www.slashphone.com/meego-buil...ch-2010-048067

The Following User Says Thank You to badboyuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "N900 WILL get MeeGo -YO" with four posts has been merged into this thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Nottingham
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
MeeGo is an Operating System that might well run on the N900 hardware.

But what you bought with the N900 is a somewhat different Operating System PLUS about two dozen quite critical applications for it's usability (Browser, Media Player, Calendar, Contacts, Photos, Contacts, Phone, Maps, Camera, E-Mail, Conversations to name the most important ones).

So even if MeeGo will run on the N900, you won't yet get these apps included, because they need to be ported from Maemo 5 (GTK) to MeeGo (QT) the new OS. So just MeeGo on the N900 will look like the Maemo 5 SDK alpha/beta did: You boot up and get one or two apps...

Therefore, the critical 2nd step would be to know if Nokia's Applications for MeeGo will also support not only their next device, but also the N900 insofar the hardware or API is different. Or if there is enough information around that the community could build some of these apps. Or if they would even be open-sourced.
Isn't the next firmware update supposed to fix this potential problem? I was under the impression that some of the applications we use now won't work correctly after the update.

Latest comments on the meego blog now suggest that the N900 will not get meego as such but just a development version of it,and we should stick with meamo.

I really think these guys should think before they speak rather than raising our hopes about meego??

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Ooh...ooh..ooh - I want to join in, I'm going to post this link too:

MeeTo I post MeeGo link too

Post #1:
MeeGo

Post #40:
MeeGo

Post #42:
MeeGo
(This one is different - this subtly suggests the link is on the first page and first post).

I'm pretty sure someone started another thread with the link too!

This is a fun game, I like this game!

More fun than writing "chain letters"!

Who's next?

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
Latest comments on the meego blog now suggest that the N900 will not get meego as such but just a development version of it,and we should stick with meamo.

I really think these guys should think before they speak rather than raising our hopes about meego??
From the MeeGo page (people like posting this link!)
...That said, please do not take this yet as a commitment to fully productise MeeGo on N900. I am quite confident that we will end up having a really good developer distro for N900 already but committing to stabilise a consumer-grade MeeGo 1.0 (first half this year) for N900 is another story. That is a product business decision beyond my scope. Also, we do not yet know about MeeGo 1 release content. I am not yet sure if I would be personally ready to let my Maemo5 go for the first MeeGo release in my daily N900 use. Let's see,
I don't know what people expect right now.
I'm grateful that the release of the source code is happening so soon!

OK, we may get a "developer" release for the n900 but that means many more people/developers can try the software out and fill bug reports.

Even fix them.

Then a stable version of MeeGo should manifest itself.

It's open source - anybody can download source code and play - make your own version port it to your new shiney toaster if you like.

You can either moan about the n900 getting a developer version or get involved and develop it further.

If you are not a developer maybe help testing it or if you are reluctant to install it. Maybe write about it document stuff.

If people are expecting a "finished" version of the software then you are just going to be disappointed.

There is still a long way to go.

Maermo 5 is still the alive and kicking and the best platform to write for.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
6 months into the future prediction, a ton of threads along the lines of: -

"OMG!! I've installed Meego on my N900 and there are no usable apps on it!!!!!!! WTF is Nokia doing!!!!!"

<sigh>
Except the MeeGo API is based on Qt (and Web Runtime), so Qt apps for Maemo 5 will work there with little effort. The rest depends on how fast MeeGo devices and Harmattan show up in the market.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: