Active Topics

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Dublin, Ireland
Sold my Jolla today and coming back to N9 again
-NFC
-better camera
-nokia drive
and nicer design of N9 is what made me sell the Jolla,
like the sailfish OS but 2.0 was a bit disappointment for me.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to managatsuo For This Useful Post:
N9 since release and till there will be a successor (seems to be forever).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delmar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Germany - Potsdam
Since Nov 2011 the N9 is my main phone. It's still the best!

Have a "I'm the first one" Jolla. Tried to use it every day. I need a reliable calendar for business. But shifting the events one or two hours on the phone at sync is a shame. Better get a sync error! The bug was fixed the first time with 1.1.9 after ~1.5 years and comes back in 2.0.0.10. Unbelievable ... I could cry ... unusable again.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to meemorph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by managatsuo View Post
-NFC
What do you do with that? For me it's a solution looking for a problem, so I'm asking someone for whom it's indispensable . . .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
I keep being tempted to go back to the N9 due to all the things you say, plus LPM and the small size for one-handed use.
Nobody seems to make a decent small phone these days. Apple for a few generations. Lumia, the 620 was the last decent one. Android, only the Sony Xperia "Compact"s and they are still Jolla-sized (borderline too big).

Problems I see switching back are:
  • Some of the online service capabilities have rotted
  • Some built-in stuff is quite poor (that team seem incapable of writing a non-awful email app for example, from N900 thru Jolla)
  • Battery craziness (4%!), although I hear there's a BME-thwacking fix.
  • GPS crapshoot, often coupled with the above to ruin your day when you want a map/checkin
  • Headphone jack has mic pins the wrong way round - ARGH
  • No Android app compatibility, which on Jolla plugs some gaps and gives me a few stupid game/social diversions. And Citymapper + banking, the only two vital missing things for me.

Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
What do you do with that? For me it's a solution looking for a problem, so I'm asking someone for whom it's indispensable . . .
It is a bit, but I used it occasionally for bluetooth speaker pairing/switching. As well as tinkering pointlessly with some tags I bought. Would have been nice if they'd have implemented all the secure stuff so we had a small hope of doing payments over it, but never mind. That's what you get for a system marked as dead before launch. No support, no secure NFC, no Android, no BT 4.0, no proper USB-OTG. Oh what it could have been...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
I keep being tempted to go back to the N9 due to all the things you say, plus LPM and the small size for one-handed use.
Nobody seems to make a decent small phone these days. Apple for a few generations. Lumia, the 620 was the last decent one. Android, only the Sony Xperia "Compact"s and they are still Jolla-sized (borderline too big).

Problems I see switching back are:
  • Some of the online service capabilities have rotted
  • Some built-in stuff is quite poor (that team seem incapable of writing a non-awful email app for example, from N900 thru Jolla)
  • Battery craziness (4%!), although I hear there's a BME-thwacking fix.
  • GPS crapshoot, often coupled with the above to ruin your day when you want a map/checkin
  • Headphone jack has mic pins the wrong way round - ARGH
  • No Android app compatibility, which on Jolla plugs some gaps and gives me a few stupid game/social diversions. And Citymapper + banking, the only two vital missing things for me.

It is a bit, but I used it occasionally for bluetooth speaker pairing/switching. As well as tinkering pointlessly with some tags I bought. Would have been nice if they'd have implemented all the secure stuff so we had a small hope of doing payments over it, but never mind. That's what you get for a system marked as dead before launch. No support, no secure NFC, no Android, no BT 4.0, no proper USB-OTG. Oh what it could have been...
You're comletely right regarding the size (could be al little bigger, but must be a one-handed device).

Oh and the lack of the mic-pins, I hate it so much, that It's not possible to use earphones to controll the music-player.

On the other side, when I'm reading all the problems regarding whatsup/whatsapp I'm so happy to be so "asocial" (don't use any social-media-app).

The Following User Says Thank You to delmar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by tcheupa View Post
Still keeping my N9... well, actually I just bought a used N9 64GB and ordered a full housing white and a replacement battery. After trying Sailfish on my 2nd (3rd...) N9, i decided to stick to Meego-Harmattan and N9:

1/ Ideal size and coherent design (HW and SW)
2/ Powersaving screenmode & billboard
3/ Offline navigation
4/ Notifications

Looking for how to configure VPN...

And I don't really miss a keyboard (I've got used to Swype), my N900 sleeps next to my E7...
I don't mind size, only with tohkbd it gets to heavy and big for me.

Offline navi does exist for Jolla. I use osmand with free maps. I've put it all on a sdcard and with 2.0 one can use it with android to.

So at the moment there's not too much missing appwise, althought it would be nice to have it nativ without android at all.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alfredquack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
Not much point for me to get a Jolla, since their hardware does not support the 3G/4G bands in my country.

I would consider trying Sailfish ported to another device, if/when a port becomes polished enough (i.e., "when everything more or less works").

Same here as I am in the US and the Jolla phone will not do 3g or LTE here.

So I am still enjoying the N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla phone, nokia n9