I agree there should be a way to add birthdays without adding a contact.

I would also like to be able to set a different alarm for birthdays than for other calendar events.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
The rating of proposals while they are in Sandbox is precisely to se whether a proposal should move to Under Considersation or shouldn't leave the Sandbox. I think it's fair to rate thumbs down to a proposal if you honestly believe that in its current form it shouldn't leave the Sandbox...

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Following with interest...

How about Holiday Plugins or templates?

The idea of adding MLK day, or Lincoln's Birthday, Guy Fawkes, etc

Calendar and Contacts are, for me at least, THE power app on these devices. I liked the old Symbian Calendars. I didn't like the Contact/Calendar stuff on the iPhone. Thus I'm here hoping we can make this the power app it deserves to be.

Nokia should take serious Interest in this. For a business phone, you need to be strong in this area.

I use my Contacts area for a lot more than contacts.
There is something screwy about the notes area when you use it.

For instance, I have entries for various Cisco Routers and switches that I use to hack into them to recover passwords and upgrade firmware.

I hve another area called Networks with various network parameters. On my Palm, when I looked at a contact, all my notes were right there and well formatted. Here you have to open notes to view it and when you edit it, it may screw it up.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
... definitely agree about the birthday calendar/contacts problem ... it would also be nice to be able to add anniversaries to that calendar ...

... the default alarm setting is quite frankly awful as it is ... would be nice to be able to set a different default for each type of calendar ...

... would also be nice to have a couple more calendars ...

... and I'm all for increasing the number of ways to enter repeat events ...

... and I'd love to be able to open the calendar in a default month view ...

... can't wait for some improvements to be made to the calendar!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
It just seems a little unfair to down vote the proposal content because it is using a procedure you disagree with but which is currently still being promoted by the mods. I entirely accept your position on how braimstorm works (or doesn't) but would prefer you not to make MY point using MY brainstorm.
I apologize Kathy. I had the wrong impression of the process.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
I would like three things:

1. Ability to set the alarm three-quarters of an hour before the event. If that's a "wontfix" then ability to just enter the alarm time.

2. Received calendar entries over SMS to not disappear into nowhere. Even showing the raw vcal text in Conversations would be an improvement over /dev/null.

3. Swiping left and right in week view to scroll rather then just drawing the new week on top of the old. It'd be ok if it scrolled like the desktops, moving to the nearest full week when you stop touching. What it does now makes it hard to visualise one's diary over a series of days spanning the week transition. Same would be good vertically in month view.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denver, CO -> Italy
I agree with you guys..

and how about:
-search button
-delete button for notes on selected day
-decent colors for different activity

Do you have any bug in the caendar or not? because in some days I can see the line as something is saved on that day(month view) but I don't have anything if I access day view or week view.

Thanks

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
i'd like to see Categories introduced across the board, including the Calendar app.

Tasks, while related, should be accessible without going through the Calendar.

If a new app is developed, and it creates a new database, there has to be a way to sync that database with Outlook on a PC in lieu of the stock database..

The Following User Says Thank You to bgrigor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
We have a huge bundle of ideas about how the calendar can be improved. It looks like the ideas are still in 'downpour' stage.

At some point, I will declare 'ideas generation' over, and we'll need to look at the 'how to' with the 'what's feasible' and 'what resources' elements of enacting some change. If anyone has ideas, suggestions or would be willing to volunteer some skill on those areas, please speak up.

Otherwise all we will generate is a bundle of small feature requests. If that's the case, I assume I can submit them as UI bugs, but I'd rather we did something a bit more creative.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Macon, GA | Warsaw, PL | Hanoi, VN
i seem to be unable to register for maemo.org, so i can't vote. also, i don't know if anyone has already requested this or not, there are too many posts to read through to find out, so could someone add this to the requested functions of the calendar app?
when selecting the date and time from the scrollable selection, i would like the selections to be loopable, i.e. when choosing a month i can scroll 12 -> 1 -> 2, instead of having to scroll all the way back. same thing with dates and times.
the second thing is i would like to be able to set the alarms for events any day, any time prior, and not just the day before.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dinho For This Useful Post: