Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
FINAL EDIT:

I just installed the alsa sound system in a new chroot. First, I had to install some packages:

Code:
apt-get install alsa-base alsa-utils libasound2-plugins alsa-oss
Then I downloaded the attachment below, and unzipped it as root from the Debian chroot prompt:

Code:
[root@Debian: /]tar xzvf /home/user/MyDocs/alsa-files.tar.gz
That does it.

------

Ok, the magic seems to happen in two files. The Debian /etc/asound.conf is the same as our maemo /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf, and the /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf is a big file that does some magic stuff that makes things work. I bet it is the default Debian alsa.conf file.

I have attached a tarball of the two files.

Once I copied these files into place, I found I had to issue
Code:
/etc/init.d/alsa-utils start
...this made the new config files take effect.

Hoorah. Finally.

EDIT: I have no idea if those mysterious mixer files have anything to do with anything...
Attached Files
File Type: gz alsa-files.tar.gz (2.0 KB, 366 views)

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-29 at 17:51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Not sure from your last couple posts if you got this rockin' yet or not, but there's two alsa devices. If I just run alsamixer, I get:
Card: Alsa-DSP external ctl plugin
Chip: ALSA-DSP plugin Mixer
which has only one (PCM) control.
But alsamixer -c0 gives:
Card: OMAP24xx EAC
Chip: TSC2301
which has all the controls, as seen in gnome-alsamixer.
BTW, thanks for the link on the TSC2301; I might actually figure out what soem of the more obscure toggles are. (OT: No luck on that yet, but check p. 71 in the data sheet; we have a hardware equalizer just waiting for IIR coefficients to be loaded into it...)

(For the record:
  • BT+BTM = HSP
  • EACPCM+Headset Amplifier = 1/8" jack
  • EACPCM+Speaker Amplifier = speakers
These all work in any combination, but I'm not sure on the others. I think BTM2PCM routes HSP mic to speakers+1/8" jack...)

Last edited by Benson; 2008-07-21 at 13:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Benson: I got it rockin', thanks!

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Sorry for the newbie question. All I need is a browser with java for access to my home bank. Is this only possible with Qole installation of Debian? Is there a option to have it with Firefox but w/o the OpenOffice and others? Make this a big difference of needed memory?

newbie at Debian and Linux. I tried to install an app from the Synaptic Package Manager and three quarters of the way through install it stopped. Now when I try to enter Synaptic an error box comes up and says, "dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg -- configure -a' to correct the problem."
Now I went to x-term and typed in the run "dpkg --configure -a' to correct problem and I get, "dpkg: parse error, in file /var/Lib/dpkg/updates/0107' near line 1: newline in field name '#padding'.
I don't know what to do with those instructions. How do I fix this because I can't get into Synaptic. Any help, advise or tips would be greatly apreciated. Thanks, Dan

Well, only thing I know is to go hack /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0107 with a text editor. Try to fix whatever's wrong with it with...

I'm not strong on Debian packaging, and never saw nothin' like that, so good luck. :/

when I do the /var/lib/... I now get a permission denied.
How do I get permission to get into this file and look for #padding?
Everything else works. Is there a way to undo the dpkg I was trying to install?
I'm actually learning quite a bit.
Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

are you editing the file as root?

also, try apt-get remove <package>

what package is broken?

Perhaps, you may have some filesystem damage, you would need to reboot and try fsck.

Apt / dpkg is great when it works, but when it breaks like this it can be a real mess to get it working again...

yes I'm in root.
I have been reading several threads on Debian forums and it seems to be a common problem with Synaptic not properly downloading the package. The recommend fix is to go into the line and delete the word on the line( in this case #padding). Problem is I get a 'permission denied'. I just noticed I can only access ROXTERM and not x-terminal.
If worse comes to worse how do I remove Debian and re-install. My fear is that the corrupted download file will mess up new Debian install.
Any thoughts, ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan

edit: uninstalled debian and reinstalled.

Last edited by dan; 2008-07-26 at 20:31.

gmpc
Note the statusbar icon, and the popup menu from it. (Clicking the icon toggles the window into/out of existence. Right-clicking (long-hold) pops up the menu, and (wrongly) also toggles the window.)
Attached Images

Tags
debian, deblet, easy debian