Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I found an issue with both busyboxes in this thread, the updated and updated enhanced - different character support is lacking.
Fixed. I don't have any scripts that are using these special characters, so if you could verify that it's working for you too, that would be much appreciated .

I've checked the character support by simply typing euro signs, copyright symbols, tabs, etcetera, which worked fine in the new build. I enabled just about all character support to be on the safe side (which only adds about ~5KiB anyway).

The source, the debs, the enhanced binary and the enhanced .conf file are updated on the server.

Originally Posted by x-lette View Post
Just an idea: why not generating a metapackage too?
First of all: use correct version number for updated busybox. Then your mentioned metapackage will break, therefore you'll need another metapackage providing the needed version and itself depending on your version. That should do the trick imho.
Unfortunately, the source of the metapackage, mp-fremantle-generic-pr, is not available. Also, I'm not sure if anyone is allowed to push a new version of it to Maemo's repositories (which will cause all Maemo users to be notified of an update I think?) or if anyone is even able to do that in the first place.
Replacing the metapackage with my own would be a solution, but I think that would break Nokia's SSU system.

The CSSU fixes this by replacing the metapackage with their own (source). That package gets rid of many specific version dependencies, so this whole thing wouldn't be a problem with the CSSU. However, not everybody has got the CSSU installed, so this is no option (or I have to make this updated BusyBox depend on the CSSU).

I don't think there will be issues having several versions of busybox installed. They shouldn't conflict, but your package should have a slightly different name of course.
The problem with this is that only one BusyBox binary can be installed (as there is just one /bin/busybox). I either have to make my package available as an alternative shell (which invalidates the whole 'replacement' thing), or the packages would overwrite each other their binaries.

After thinking it over a lot, I think it would be best to make a package with its own name (busybox-power anyone?), which simply overwrites /bin/busybox. This way I won't have any restrictions with names, versions or dependencies and I would be able to push it into the repositories. Being able to receive updates automatically, rather than checking a thread, seems a lot more convenient for the users too. Also, official BusyBox upgrades by Nokia (if any) will overwrite my binary, so no problems there. The only downside with this approach is that overwriting other packages their binaries is a bad practise.

Maybe you can even provide a different version string within the same package but I'm not sure. Debian archives are so powerful, I sometimes could swear they even make coffee
I agree . It's a shame that Nokia made their metapackage explicitly depend on specific versions of Maemo's core packages, which kind of defeats the purpose of such a refined packaging system.

Last edited by iDont; 2011-05-06 at 12:44.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by iDont View Post
Unfortunately, the source of the metapackage, mp-fremantle-generic-pr, is not available.
I'm not talkibng about replacing the mentioned metapackage, but creating a new one which offers the name (busybox) and the needed version string and simply depends on your package name (busybox-abcd) and probably a version string. So there would be three packages in the end:
  • the original metapackage which depends on old busybox
  • your metapackage which "provides" old busybox and
  • your updated busybox package
.... However, not everybody has got the CSSU installed, so this is no option (or I have to make this updated BusyBox depend on the CSSU).
Please don't depend on CSSU! I'm one of the mentioned users who don't have it activated (yet). So it would be a pitty if such a great package would force me to do it now.

The problem with this is that only one BusyBox binary can be installed (as there is just one /bin/busybox). I either have to make my package available as an alternative shell (which invalidates the whole 'replacement' thing), or the packages would overwrite each other their binaries.
You're right with that filename. but you could backup the old busybox and replace it with your new one. In case of uninstallation you could simply restore the old one again. It could be tricky to step in when original busybox should get updated but using a checksum of backed up binary and own binary and comparing it to actual binary in case of uninstallation should suffice.

The Following User Says Thank You to x-lette For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by lolloo View Post
I love this guy!
Lol. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by iDont
I've checked the character support by simply typing euro signs, copyright symbols, tabs, etcetera, which worked fine in the new build. I enabled just about all character support to be on the safe side (which only adds about ~5KiB anyway).
Success! It accepted everything I threw at it:

∞, ≠, ≤, ≥, (entire russian/cyrillic alphabet) and: ∅æÆœŒ♂♀∫§¶¿¡μαπθψ№∠δß

Not like they actually see any use in scripts, to be fair - although I do sometimes use vi as a generic all-purpose text editor so it helps. For examples, I've used the proper 'micro' (μ) prefix for units in my conky configs which I edit through vi.

Your prompt tackling of issues makes me wish I could thank your original two posts more than once - one time for each new upload of fixed packages/binaries.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Originally Posted by iDont View Post
After thinking it over a lot, I think it would be best to make a package with its own name (busybox-power anyone?)
Enhanced busybox: -
busybox-power
busybox-enhanced
busybox2
busierbox

Updated busybox: -
busybox-updated

(then maybe you should use busybox-updated-power etc)

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
bug:

I changed my hostname to Mr Pingu (space included)
the old busybox used to display the whole name, after going to root via "root" (not sudo gainroot)

Code:
~ $ root

BusyBox v1.10.4 (Debian 1.10.4) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

Mr Pingu:~#

This new busybox stops after Mr so it doesnt display the full hostname if a space is included in the hostname it stops after this space

new:
Code:
~ $ root

BusyBox v1.18.4 (Debian 1.18.4power2) built-in shell (ash)

Mr:~#

note: I dont know if version match on the old , I just thought it was 1.10 so I changed to make the difference more clear

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Please don't depend on CSSU! I'm one of the mentioned users who don't have it activated (yet). So it would be a pitty if such a great package would force me to do it now.
Don't worry, this isn't my intention either.

Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
Enhanced busybox: -
busybox-power
busybox-enhanced
busybox2
busierbox

Updated busybox: -
busybox-updated

(then maybe you should use busybox-updated-power etc)
Thanks for the suggestions, appreciate it.
I've gone ahead with busybox-power, as that name represents the similarities in goal with kernel-power the most.

Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
bug:

the old busybox used to display the whole name
[..]
This new busybox stops after Mr so it doesnt display the full hostname if a space is included in the hostname it stops after this space
Thanks for reporting, I'll look into it

On a side note, I want to recommend you to change the space to an underscore regardless of whether you experience a bug or not. Spaces are, at least as far as I know, pretty uncommon (and even discouraged to use) in hostnames.

Last edited by iDont; 2011-05-09 at 20:57.

I've changed the direction for this project a little bit. I'll focus only on the enhanced package from now on. The first two posts of this thread have received a major overhaul. Please read "About this package" in the first post for some additional information.

Also, busybox-power can now be found in the repositories! A lot of work went into the install and uninstall script to make sure they behave well.
Mentalist Traceur & others: you don't have to worry about the package overwriting existing symlinks/applications. The package also keeps track of what symlinks it has installed, so it will never remove more symlinks than it has made

To all who have installed an older version (both the 'only updated' and enhanced binary): I recommend to revert to Nokia's original BusyBox (by executing "apt-get install --reinstall busybox"), and to remove any manually made symlinks to /bin/busybox prior to installing busybox-power. These recommendations aren't strictly necessary, but they prevent possible double symlinks and invalidating the backup of the original BusyBox binary (as the 'original' binary isn't original then).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
bug:

the old busybox used to display the whole name, after going to root via "root" (not sudo gainroot)

Code:
~ $ root

BusyBox v1.10.4 (Debian 1.10.4) built-in shell (ash)

Mr Pingu:~#

new:
Code:
~ $ root

BusyBox v1.18.4 (Debian 1.18.4power2) built-in shell (ash)

Mr:~#

note: I dont know if version match on the old , I just thought it was 1.10 so I changed to make the difference more clear
Hi! Please type in your hostname Mr\ Pingu instead
Somehow it's related with the added support for unicode format doing that would escape the whitespace

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Just installed. (N900 not in an environment currently where I can constantly get wifi, else I would've had this installed a while ago.)

Seems to have worked fine. I also tested this updating eSpeak AND installing this at once, so that's a little bit extra assurance that no unexpected glitches arise when doing more than one apt-get task at once. (Not that that was likely, but still.)

The commands I checked seem to have been symlinked fine, or not symlinked where appropriate. Is there any mechanism in place to make sure that if a user installs busybox-power, then installs, say, a binary for iostat or telnet (or something else that stock busybox lacked), and then uninstalls busybox-power, that the binary (or different symlink) won't get deleted by the uninstaller thinking it's deleting its own symlink?

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
Hi! Please type in your hostname Mr\ Pingu instead
Somehow it's related with the added support for unicode format doing that would escape the whitespace
Doesnt work, it still stops after the "\"