Active Topics

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Excellent blog entry about FOSS inside Nokia: The four wheels spinning MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan: http://flors.wordpress.com/2011/06/2...1-2-harmattan/

Considering that Linux Kernel and WebKit will continue evolving no matter what Nokia decides and assuming that the swipe UX will continue evolving in Nokia products, in reality the concern about “the future of MeeGo at Nokia” is tied to the future of Qt: Nokia’s investment and leadership, involvement of other parties in a wide community, usefulness addressing the mobile and cross-platform challenges, increase of the developer base, increase of the quantity and quality of Qt apps… There is a direct correlation between the success of the Qt project and the satisfaction of the future N9 users, even if most of them won’t know ever.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to larux For This Useful Post:
Ok now lets assume one does not care about meego and only about what the end user sees, i.e. the UX. So we'll see the swipe UI on s40, maybe even with some kind of multitasking. Why does nokia need wp7 then? They'd rather stengthen the Qt ecosystem by making meego for high-end.
Whatever.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
properly cryptic!

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
I think what he's getting at there is that MeeGo isn't what's important.

The N9 is essentially running MeeGo "Lite"
The look and feel they achieved could probably be done on many other platforms if Qt is a success.

The Following User Says Thank You to Faustino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Why does nokia need wp7 then? They'd rather stengthen the Qt ecosystem by making meego for high-end.
Whatever.
it would make too much sense and Nokia would have hired Elop for nothing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kozzi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 112 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Ok now lets assume one does not care about meego and only about what the end user sees, i.e. the UX. So we'll see the swipe UI on s40, maybe even with some kind of multitasking. Why does nokia need wp7 then? They'd rather stengthen the Qt ecosystem by making meego for high-end.
Whatever.
Board of Nokia is full of people who have used Microsoft products for years. They are really familiar with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook etc.

They also notice that Nokia is challenged both by Apple who offers alternative approach to Microsoft reign and Google who happens to be Internet giant.

Outcome is this: they want "familiar" computer experience to be piped into Nokia handsets. "Oh. It would be so cool to have my word documents synced there" .. "Oh.. Xbox, my son wants to play all the time" etc.

It's (desktop) mainstream. And these poor board members think that Nokia doesn't have assets at all to participate into this game.

It's so amazing and frustrating..

The Following User Says Thank You to larux For This Useful Post:
Board of Nokia is full of people who have used Microsoft products for years. They are really familiar with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook etc.

They also notice that Nokia is challenged both by Apple who offers alternative approach to Microsoft reign and Google who happens to be Internet giant.

Outcome is this: they want "familiar" computer experience to be piped into Nokia handsets. "Oh. It would be so cool to have my word documents synced there" .. "Oh.. Xbox, my son wants to play all the time" etc.

It's (desktop) mainstream. And these poor board members think that Nokia doesn't have assets at all to participate into this game.

It's so amazing and frustrating.
Thats a very good assessment. They are still the old guard who think teaming up with microsoft is a save bet. Bring in a CEO who can be really convincing and knows how to talk and they're following him like lemmings.