Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Have you tried some optimization tools and tricks ? Like Swappolube ? My N900 was and is responsive to make and received calls.
Thanks...I use those regularly and they are indispensable. But I am talking about the phone dialer bug, which, if you have autorotation on, sometimes freezes the phone with the Maemo blur. I can't for the life of me find the relevant thread now...Ok, it gets "fixed" by disabling autorotation. In fact, it's probably for the better, because with an autorotating dialer you might call the wrong person etc.

But then the messages database gets messed up and I have to fix it. That's a lot of fun, but sometimes I just want to send/receive messages.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
This week? Hold your horses. Its next week
Sure, it's next week. But I haven't been using it at all for several months, so I'm basically running a test run in case any issues come up that would prevent me from using it as my only phone. (For example, it seems to have worse reception than the N9 in some areas.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
Sure, it's next week. But I haven't been using it at all for several months, so I'm basically running a test run in case any issues come up that would prevent me from using it as my only phone. (For example, it seems to have worse reception than the N9 in some areas.)
I am going for next week as well, took me a lot of effort to ready a Nokia N900 for every day of the week
(before you say something: at least I don't have a car)

Name:  2014-10-01-7471.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  58.8 KB

From a user perspective everything seems so easy with the N900 from typing to select stuff, transferring and managing files, it has plenty of viewing modes, centralized IM accounts, the user interface flow is second to none. I don't need to tell that to all you verterans.

With the other phones I tend to wait till some task is done, the N900 invites you to keep up queuing tasks (and then forget about them and wonder why the device is so damn slow all over sudden )

I stopped using it as a phone for no reason but the better camera in the 808. And to support Jolla.
But N900 is back with a vengeance as cult device.

Because of this initiative I have it on my desk enjoying the great convenience of the future proof internet radio that works with direct links.

Also the buffering of the internet radio is better in area's with weak internet (compared to Symbian and hardware internet radio Audiostream 10)

The sound quality is a true relief after the shreak of the Jolla speaker.

Since I refused to update skype by Microsoft on OSX and Windows, it is now one of the few devices I can use my Skyp account on.
Also it serves as a remote for my early 2000s JVC amplifier suffering jumping hardware volume button and lost original remote.

The form factor is just great. What is there not to love: small and with actual borders that offer great fit in any hand.
And no, trying to bend it with your skinny jeans will only rip your jeans and expose your bottocks or worse

Last edited by ste-phan; 2014-10-01 at 07:58.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Calm those who fear the USB port breakage, there is a thread on a the universal Qi adapters now available.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93412

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
N900 was the best phone of its time and still competitive in many respects. Look forward to firing it up soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Discovered first issue: battery is only lasting a few hours. How do I determine what's eating my battery?

The Following User Says Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 136 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Streets of Avalon | Zwolle, the Netherlands
posting this from my n900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vincr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Italy, Rome
I m using n900 from 1 month..i pass from android (N4) to this awesome device!! I enjoy to work at scrpts (for my personal usage and for my friend's work) with N900..is like to have my linux machine always with me!! Things that i lost are: google now, google keep, google maps..for now i use modrana as gps navigator!! I don't play games with the device and is my daily (and only) phone!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to marcphemt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Preping my n900 for the next week a few Audio books. Anyone know if it's possible to stream any free/payed books vith n900?

Edit: and Im still on My first and only n900.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-10-02 at 20:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
I'm permanently back on the N900 now after a while away.
Bought my first the day they arrived in the shops but sold it after 2 years. I was drawn to the big screen of the galaxy note.
Bought another about a year ago on ebay which soon developed the sim card problem, which although i initially fixed it, it eventually became permanent. I bought my 3rd off ebay 3 weeks ago and it's a real beaut, 1 careful lady driver and hardly a mark on it. There was so much i missed about it, and only a couple of things the note was better at.
I now use it as my everyday phone and keep the note for reading the news apps.
My only problem is that i cant install one or two apps because of missing dependencies (libxxs1for example)... If i can't work it out i'll come back and ask for help, I'm a little rusty!
I've kept the sim-problem one for testing :-D

Incidently, is there anywhere we can get hold of the old ovi store apps? There are one or two i quite liked. I've found a site with all the games (including Angry Birds level packs) but although I've downloaded them i can't seem to find anyone to pay.....

Anyway, good to be back and delighted to find this site still alive and kicking :-D

Happy days

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 5, nokia n900, supertroopers!