Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
So Tim Samoff said: "...we already know that there are plans for non-Nokia Maemo devices." http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=174

I didn't know this and suspect others don't as well. Can we include comments on such topic in this thread? I, for one, would like to see Maemo licensed to other OEMs.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I had no idea. Maybe there's hope.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Well, Maemo 5 runs on a Beagle Board, so make your own assumptions.

Tim

P.S. I.e., my statements are my own assumptions and not based on anything but that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
P.S. I.e., my statements are my own assumptions and not based on anything but that.
then in what sense do "we" "know" that there are such plans?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I think the Beagle Board stuff goes back to the summit last year: Nokia knew it'd be ages before Rover saw the light of day, so encouraged platform hackers to try the Beagle - and knew they were using it internally initially as well.

There was a very key comment from Ari Jaaksi at OSiM World saying that Nokia had no interest in licencing Maemo to other hardware manufacturers. But then he also argued - many moons ago - that two devices were better than one ;-)

I'll be very surprised if any other hardware manufacturer announces a separate Maemo device; but then I'm mostly surprised at the smaller, thicker, it's-a-phone Rover. So take my surprise ratings with a pinch of salt!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
From the Maemo standpoint, I feel the beagleboard being more of a poor man's Maemo dev/demo board, not a 'real' target device. So yes, it can/will get hacked to run Maemo, but isn't any more of a Maemo device than any other OMAP3 device you can actually put stuff on - like the Overo Water or Fire

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think Mer will be the Maemo we see on other devices. It's already been ported to the Moses SmartQ 5, some PocketLoox thingy and any x86 platform.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I hope someone makes good use of the beagle board. I want a bunch of really cool maemo powered stuff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post: