Notices

Hi All,

Every time I want to use the N900's Ovi Maps GPS, it requires me to connect to internet and only works to find the nearest shopping malls etc only when I am connected to the net.

So can someone please advice how I can use the GPS without connecting to Internet?

Like when using Garmin or TomTom in your car, these SatNav's dont require you to connect to the internet.

In the same way is it possible to use the N900's Ovi maps or any other GPS application without being connected to internet?

Thanks!

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by vicegerent View Post
Hi All,

Every time I want to use the N900's Ovi Maps GPS, it requires me to connect to internet and only works to find the nearest shopping malls etc only when I am connected to the net.

So can someone please advice how I can use the GPS without connecting to Internet?

Like when using Garmin or TomTom in your car, these SatNav's dont require you to connect to the internet.

In the same way is it possible to use the N900's Ovi maps or any other GPS application without being connected to internet?

Thanks!
There is already a thread regarding this in current discussion is it possible to merge this one ?

If you go into the Location settings on the main settings menu and simply take the tick out of Network Positioning you will then be using the internal gps as you want it to work.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
install GPSJinni or location test. GSPJinni is what i would recommend you to use it. it will help you connect to the satellites before you launch the Ovi Map.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
install GPSJinni or location test. GSPJinni is what i would recommend you to use it. it will help you connect to the satellites before you launch the Ovi Map.
Correct me if i am wrong but GPS jinni is a seperate app altogether and nothing to do with OVI Maps and if you read his question in full it was how does he use the internal gps without connecting to the internet.

Sad to say this but GPS on the N900 is soooo bad it requires an update at the very least to even get it to work anything like it should with or without internet connection.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
If you go into the Location settings on the main settings menu and simply take the tick out of Network Positioning you will then be using the internal gps as you want it to work.
I did as you suggested, but it still doesn't works.

Like for example while I am connected to the internet, if I search places like Boots or Baskin Robins in Bangkok, then it will show me a list of these places that are most closest to my present location.

However, if I search without connecting to internet, the search results do not fetch any results. Same is the case after I have unchecked the Network Position.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Yeh like Abill_UK said, I thought GPSJinni is a complete different application all together? Does it works like a fully operational GPS software? As long as it brings results I dont care lol.

Have you used it? if so are you able to search all locations and directions to the places you want to go without having to connect to the internet?

Yeh like Abill_UK said, I thought GPSJinni is a complete different application all together? Does it works like a fully operational GPS software? As long as it brings results I dont care lol.

Have you used it? if so are you able to search all locations and directions to the places you want to go without having to connect to the internet?
Its a 3rd party app that has no link with OVI MAPS and does not make the gps work any better at all for obvious reason, is good for making sure the internal GPS chip being used in the N900 at least works but dont work on the actuall GPS programme anything like GPSjinnie ha ha.
Oh our N900 is in a sad old state right now lol still never mind because good things are about to happen.
If you want to try the 3rd party app here is the link for the download ok

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/gpsjinni/

try it and see for yourself as its not a bad app.

I did as you suggested, but it still doesn't works.

Like for example while I am connected to the internet, if I search places like Boots or Baskin Robins in Bangkok, then it will show me a list of these places that are most closest to my present location.

However, if I search without connecting to internet, the search results do not fetch any results. Same is the case after I have unchecked the Network Position.
Sorry to say but am not suprised in the least that it dont work as the N900 is about as much good for GPS as a dead tom tom lol
You will have to wait for the next firmware update which is coming very soon we all hope lol, that has a few fixes for the GPS.