Active Topics

bluefoot: uhm... you may have a faulty phone. I tried the Jolla vs a Nexus 5 and 4 on different networks and the call quality is certainly better on the Jolla. Some of the other things you say sound like a bit of a fauly device, I may be wrong though - at the end of the day, these things are subjective unless you measure them under controlled conditions.

EDIT: to the phone quality, I'll add that I tested this with a particular friend who used to have a Nexus 5, who then changed his phone to an LG and wow, he now sounds like he's standing next to me. Funnily enough, LG makes the Nexus 5, maybe they make a crappy version on purpose because otherwise people won't believe it's a google product :P

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
As you yourself note in your post, Jolla have rather struggled to sell inventory. Why do you believe, therefore, that there are recent manufacturing batches?
I don't, as I thought I made clear, the current batch is (over) a year old.

Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
bluefoot: uhm... you may have a faulty phone. I tried the Jolla vs a Nexus 5 and 4 on different networks and the call quality is certainly better on the Jolla. Some of the other things you say sound like a bit of a fauly device, I may be wrong though - at the end of the day, these things are subjective unless you measure them under controlled conditions.

EDIT: to the phone quality, I'll add that I tested this with a particular friend who used to have a Nexus 5, who then changed his phone to an LG and wow, he now sounds like he's standing next to me. Funnily enough, LG makes the Nexus 5, maybe they make a crappy version on purpose because otherwise people won't believe it's a google product :P
Nah, both the First One I have and the newest batch one are the same. Only difference is the newer one has less of a colour cast on the screen. Otherwise look and perform identically. I suspect the screen difference is just variability / QC rather than a revision of the panel.

The Nexus 5 is definitely the weakest of the phones I mentioned (old Nokias and Z3C are much better). However the microphone (or lack of noise cancelling) is worse on the Jolla, picking up a lot more ambient noise. Also, reception isn't as good so both receiving and transmitting you're more likely to have distortion or loss of fidelity.

Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Call quality is poor to mediocre at best, regardless of what those above will tell you. Sounds bad next to my old Nokia E series phones, N9, Sony Z3C and Nexus 5.
Um... I have N900 and N9, also been using numerous other Nokia phones and call quality is not something I would complain about on Jolla. Compared to N9 I was very pleased that I could actually hear the other party of the call because N9 speaker would be so quiet. Also, it works very well with bluetooth HF on my car.

Reception is poor (wifi and mobile). Though this may be partly Conman's fault (networking stack which is not good).
Wifi reception can be easily blocked by hand when using in landscape. Cellural reception is at least as good as with N9 (Jolla was the first phone that didn't disconnect in certain points of my commute route).

Otherwise it might be good idea to wait for next iteration of Sailfish phone, be it by Jolla or 3rd party. Hopefully it's not too far away in the future.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Um... I have N900 and N9, also been using numerous other Nokia phones and call quality is not something I would complain about on Jolla. Compared to N9 I was very pleased that I could actually hear the other party of the call because N9 speaker would be so quiet. Also, it works very well with bluetooth HF on my car.

Wifi reception can be easily blocked by hand when using in landscape. Cellural reception is at least as good as with N9 (Jolla was the first phone that didn't disconnect in certain points of my commute route).

Otherwise it might be good idea to wait for next iteration of Sailfish phone, be it by Jolla or 3rd party. Hopefully it's not too far away in the future.
Simply don't agree re: call quality. Mic picks up a huge amount of ambient noise, speaker isn't fantastic (though definitely not as bad as some phones), and I find reception really bad.

N9's reception is less than ideal. I find both of my Jollas to be worse than any other phone I've encountered re: reception and holding a signal - save for a circa 2001 era Motorola I had the misfortune of renting in the US for a couple of weeks back then.

No problems so far with ambient noise here, so I'll have to disagree on that one. It doesn't show up with recorded calls, nor has anyone complained about such thing to me. Also no problems with reception.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Regarding call quality - both sound and reception - I can't really compare to any recent flagship device, but compared to my old N900, sound quality is quite similar and reception seems to be a bit better (on O2 Germany network).
And when I compared my N900' call quality to other phones at that time (2009/2010), the N900 came out as excellent (better than iPhone, several samsung's, sony ericsson, compareable to Nokia "dumbphones" at that time...).

Around my home and also my work place there are some places where other phones don't get any signal at all, but I can still make calls on my Jolla.

Maybe the call quality on Jolla (compared to other phones) is better on some networks and worse on others?
Bluefoot, what network are you on?

Only problem with sound quality I have seems to be bad bluetooth connection to my car's HF - when I have the phone in my pocket, I sometimes get stuttering sound even though radio signal is quite strong.
But it seems that my car (Volvo V70) is a bit of a troublemaker in this regard, too (you can find similar complaints about other phones with this car in the web).
And when Jolla is connected to charger in the center console, sound is very good both ways.

The Following User Says Thank You to Casanunda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Simply don't agree re: call quality. Mic picks up a huge amount of ambient noise, speaker isn't fantastic (though definitely not as bad as some phones), and I find reception really bad.
You have two Jolla's so there's little chance this applies to your case but bad reception can lead to bad battery life experience.

First I had nothing to complain about until Jolla had fixed my broken speaker.
Got the phone returned and wifi and data over GSM went considerable worse than before.

If at that point I did not remember a better experience I could have assumed that this was just a China OEM phone with bad reception.

Then I have asked Jolla to fix the antenna issue without a lot of explanation (except a picture from the sticker that holds the antenna in place, that was a little bit lifted up) and fixing it is what they did. Succesfully.

It seems easy enough to mess up the antenna connection and not noticing it.

Maybe you should send them one of your Jolla's back with same complaint.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Doing update to 1.1.2.16 right now (I thought there was a newer version already..)
IIRC, if you have a unit from a very old batch (pre-1.0.4), you will have to update to 1.0.4 first before you can update to the newest. But I also assumed that any update after that would be a single-step process.

It looks really really nice!
Gimme a day or two to play with it
My first impression was also highly positive. I really liked the UI and I still try in vain swiping all over the place on my kids' Android tablets. It feels so much more intuitive to swipe the keyboard down, for example, than to locate and press the button to get it out of the way.

Unfortunately, those first impression did not last forever. The OS is still very much in a beta stage, with a lot of rough edges all over the place.

Conclusions:
  • If you want something that Just Works™, or if you expect that "there is an app for that", then you might be better off getting something more polished;
  • If you want something to tinker with, to use as a portable computer, then get the old and wheezing N900.
I am sorry but I have to concede that Jolla is neither here nor there, but somewhere in between. It has a lot of potential but it is nowhere near reaching it yet. I would not rely on it as my main phone. YMMV: I have seen a lot of posts claiming some people use as their main - or even only - phone.

Regarding the much discussed call quality, I do not have any complaints in that area but I do have a massive complaint about the call volume. The damn thing is so quiet I often miss an email alert when the phone sits on the desk next to my keyboard at a quiet office. That is at 75% of the full ringtone volume. Making a call outside is damn near impossible: First, you can barely see a thing on the screen and second, you are pressed hard to hear anything if you are anywhere near a moderately busy street. If your call requires typing some numbers (such as listening to your voicemail - "press 1 to listen to new messages, press 3 to delete the message..."), then you may as well forget it. The last time I tried to pay for the parking using the phone I had to retreat back inside the car so I could see and hear anything at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
If you do get one, you'll either love it, hate it, quite like it, or think it's not that great. Just like every other phone, really.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla phone, sailfish