Notices

I've gone ahead and built Fuppes for Maemo 5.

See http://www.knownokia.ca/2011/03/upnp...00-server.html for a quick blurb as well as link to dropbox'd binary packages. This should make a lot of you happy. You can now serve all media content from your N900 to a PS3, XBOX360 or other DLNA/UPnP compliant device.

External database, doesn't touch tracker and it's very lightweight. Provides a web interface for configuration, it's optified (/opt/bin/ for binaries) and it "just works".

I'll slim the package down in order to eliminate some dependencies, fix metadata via id3lib or taglib and *possibly* enable transcoding.

Feel free to comment, buy me beer or call me names.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
One simple word: Yay!

Is it possible to run it without the xterm staying open? If i run it as
/opt/bin/fuppes &
i can't connect to the server webinterface even though it is still running.

EDIT:

I really wanna thank you again for bringing this to us. I was really missing a dnla server. N900 keeps getting better and better.
BTW, I didn't have to run apt-get -f. All deps were already installed.

Last edited by casketizer; 2011-03-29 at 01:33.

I'd recommend running it from within a screen(1) session ala `screen -d -m "fuppes"`, so you can still control it. I have a script inside /etc/network/if-up.d/ that will spawn a detached session running fuppes if I'm connecting to my home WLAN and kill the server if I drop that connection. Works very well to make sure I'm not running services on public networks.

I may patch out the "interaction mode" via a flag argument to allow for it to be daemonized and build a small upstart or init script so you can start/stop/restart it easily. But don't hold your breath for that, I have way too many projects going on right now :P

Thanks for your comments, appreciate it.

Last edited by hawaii; 2011-03-29 at 02:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Yeah screen came to my mind too. Guess I'll just use that.

i now got upon reboot and entering /opt/bin/fuppes

I\O error permission denied

error: xmlnewtextwriterfilename: out of memory
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/user/.fuppes/fuppes.cfg

No help? I would have thought people would be all over this very useful app?

Ah just discovered something, I enter Sudo Gainroot before executing the app and it seems to work now, why have you get to do this every time? can anyone make an icon and script or GUI for this, I have been waiting for something like this for ages, just wish my skills were better.

I can see itself on the N900 and in "network" on my laptop in media player, cannot see it on my laptop in media center, media player etc. I have UPNP enabled on my router, can't see why nothing other then the n900 sees it?

Last edited by king1; 2011-03-30 at 16:07.

Press "a" to send a broadcast notify message and it should be visible on other devices.

You should *not* be running this as root, nor should you need to. There's nothing hard about putting /opt/bin into your PATH and simply typing "fuppes" at an rxvt. If somebody else wants to build a .desktop wrapper for it - go ahead. There's a reason I've only provided a binary package and am not remotely interested in putting it into the repository.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Thanks, I can only get it to work if i type sudo gainroot forst or i get the above errors i put in my earlier post.

It is still not being seen by any other devices like media player etc. my laptop sees it in the network folder but thats it, i have CGF'd the mmc1 /movie and /DCIM directories and it sees them on the N900 but not anything on another device? strange.

Just tried the "A" thing, still no luck.

Last edited by king1; 2011-03-30 at 17:11.

Posts: 200 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ São Paulo - Brasil
Originally Posted by king1 View Post
i now got upon reboot and entering /opt/bin/fuppes

I\O error permission denied

error: xmlnewtextwriterfilename: out of memory
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/user/.fuppes/fuppes.cfg
I am getting the same error messages...may be some good soul could make it more noobie...

Tags
dlna upnp, media server