Originally Posted by olighak View Post
But there are. Thereīs plenty of them at store.ovi.com, however theyīre not labeled as "QT apps" because thatīs just the programming behind the application

Just because you donīt see it on a daily basis doesnīt mean it isnīt there. Can you see all the plumbing in your house? Do you check every morning, by opening the hood, whether the motor is still in your car? Or do you just start the car and start driving?
First there are barely any apps on the OVI store to begin with much less the QT Apps. I'm not saying they don't exist or that it doesn't work I'm just saying that it's not a threat and without a significant number of hw platforms available there no reason to assume there would be mass adoption. You have to look at both the SW and HW together. Look, I'm not saying QT sucks, I'm just saying that at the pace Nokia was moving there was no light at the end of the tunnel for the path they were on. They had to simplify and there was no way around that.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
First there are barely any apps on the OVI store to begin with much less the QT Apps. I'm not saying they don't exist or that it doesn't work I'm just saying that it's not a threat and without a significant number of hw platforms available there no reason to assume there would be mass adoption. You have to look at both the SW and HW together. Look, I'm not saying QT sucks, I'm just saying that at the pace Nokia was moving there was no light at the end of the tunnel for the path they were on. They had to simplify and there was no way around that.
Barely any apps? Are you judging that from the catalog for your N900? Set your device to the N95, N97 or N8 and browse through, thereīs quite a few things on there.

Yes there was a light at the end of the tunnel, now your just babbling.

Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Barely any apps? Are you judging that from the catalog for your N900? Set your device to the N95, N97 or N8 and browse through, thereīs quite a few things on there.

Yes there was a light at the end of the tunnel, now your just babbling.
Yup, I'm speaking of the N900. Since there are tons of apps QT Apps, and the N900 runs QT, then why aren't all of these great apps automagically available on the N900? Isn't that what QT is for?

Last edited by geohsia; 2011-06-07 at 12:49.

Yup, I'm speaking of the N900. Since there are tons of apps QT Apps, and the N900 runs QT, then why aren't all of these great apps automagically available on the N900? Isn't that what QT is for?
Not quite sure. Never checked out the Ovi store.
My guess is that all functions (e.g. communication with sensors, audio output, ...) are not quite implemented. There's no Qt interface for some. So some code is still Symbian-native and must be ported to Maemo.
I am not sure how far Nokia would've gone with platform-independency, but at least in theory it would be possible to provide all interfaces a program needs through Qt.

Still you would need to compile your code twice, for Symbian and Maemo (Linux). But, in theory, that's the only effort then for the programmer.

So it might very well be that those Ovi-Store apps are just compiled for Symbian.

The Following User Says Thank You to lohner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
i blame the SDK. the only way to compile / test your Qt apps for Maemo 5 is the Nokia Qt SDK under Linux. most developers probably just don't bother installing yet another dev environment, especially for a market as small as maemo 5. they don't see the Maemo 5 target in their Windows Qt Creator, so they don't care.

i'm pretty sure that technically most of the N97 etc. apps which were written in Qt would compile & run just fine on the N900, but it's too much effort and too little gain for most devs.

it's still nokia's fault of course, for splitting up those parts of the SDK.

(btw, QT is quicktime, Qt is the C++ Framework we're talking about )

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
i blame the SDK. the only way to compile / test your Qt apps for Maemo 5 is the Nokia Qt SDK under Linux. most developers probably just don't bother installing yet another dev environment, especially for a market as small as maemo 5. they don't see the Maemo 5 target in their Windows Qt Creator, so they don't care.
How would this be different for MeeGo?

i'm pretty sure that technically most of the N97 etc. apps which were written in Qt would compile & run just fine on the N900, but it's too much effort and too little gain for most devs.
Again, I have the same question for the above.

it's still nokia's fault of course, for splitting up those parts of the SDK.

(btw, QT is quicktime, Qt is the C++ Framework we're talking about )
Got it. Thanks for the correction. Thanks for your (and loehner's) information filled post which is a stark contrast to mine.

The Following User Says Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
How would this be different for MeeGo?
well, hopefully they won't make the same mistake twice and release a multi-platform SDK which is capable of compiling / testing for all Qt platforms.

they _will_ release a new SDK for Harmattan, we'll know more then.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
they don't see the Maemo 5 target in their Windows Qt Creator, so they don't care.
Strangely I can see it in QtCreator under Windows XP.

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Strangely I can see it in QtCreator under Windows XP.
thanks, that's great! i haven't updated my Windows VM in a while, and version 1.1 of the SDK came out about a month ago.

good to know they finally got around to fix that

well, hopefully they won't make the same mistake twice and release a multi-platform SDK which is capable of compiling / testing for all Qt platforms.

they _will_ release a new SDK for Harmattan, we'll know more then.
Will the SDK for Harmattan be different than for MeeGo?

Last edited by geohsia; 2011-06-07 at 15:19.

Tags
bada blows, buysomethinelse, good move, goodbye nokia, wp7 rocks