Active Topics

Notices

Where does modrana source it's poi's from? Is it from an online source, or is there a way of loading them offline? I can never see any poi's in my area.

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
About black screen: I haven't seen it; it might be caused by permissions problem; could you post a screenshot?
Cheers,
I do get to the first stage - enabling the tracklog. Then it displays on the map. But when I want to change the color - black screen (nothing really to make a screenshot of - just a black area where the map is supposed to be) I guess, had it been permission I wouldn't have gotten to the track initiation at all, would I?
But anyway, could you give me a full cmd wording to get permission?

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply.
Turned logging on, returned to the map. OK.
Went to logging, change colour->green, and it showed map, not black screen.

>a full cmd wording to get permission?
chmod 0777 /opt/modrana

If permission is denied, gain root first, and then try again.
Like:
sudo gainroot
chmod 0777 /opt/modrana

Try running ./modrana.py from directory /opt/modrana/ in X Terminal. The application should write down the errors into X Terminal.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
thanks for the app. I had never used a gps before in my life (pretty sad, I'm 44) and modrana got my wife and I out of a lost situation over the weekend.
Nice to know that modRana is being useful.

any time frame for talking directions?
This + POI rework are what I currently plan to do next. So it should be available quite soon.

I see it defaulted to something called mapnik and OSM in my .modrana_tiles folder and they take up 50 and 42 mb respectivly. should I be downloading other stuff or is this good, what I have.
These layers are provided by the OpenStreatMap project and are IMO quite usable.

Originally Posted by zombiepig View Post
Where does modrana source it's poi's from? Is it from an online source, or is there a way of loading them offline? I can never see any poi's in my area.
ModRana currently uses Google Locate as a POI source, and more POI (and routing) providers are planned.
You can test this by typing something like this to the search field in Google Maps:
Code:
pizza near 60.205556, 24.655556
This searches for pizza near Nokia headquarters. The POI search in modRana works like this, you select the a keyword by pressing one of the buttons + current coordinates are used.

Originally Posted by Reeby View Post
Cheers,
I do get to the first stage - enabling the tracklog. Then it displays on the map. But when I want to change the color - black screen
Do you mean displaying a saved tracklog or enabling track logging ?
(I found a bug causing a empty/black screen in the track logging menu, will be fixed in the next build)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Do you mean displaying a saved tracklog or enabling track logging ?
(I found a bug causing a empty/black screen in the track logging menu, will be fixed in the next build)
I do manage to start a track. It displays on the screen but every time I go back to the track menu I get a black screen.
Wikiwide suggested it was permission prob....haven't tried it thou((

The Following User Says Thank You to Reeby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Reeby View Post
I do manage to start a track. It displays on the screen but every time I go back to the track menu I get a black screen.
Wikiwide suggested it was permission prob....haven't tried it thou((
I've just send V0.13-2 to the autobuilder, the package should be in the repositories shortly and should fix the black screen after entering log menu (if it is caused by the same issue I fixed).

Also, it is now possible to set where to search for POI -> near view/near current position and more options (near an address/tracklog start/end, etc.) are planned.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
thank you for the simple answers. once voice navigation is in place this app will be right up with easy debian as the top 2 reasons I am keeping the device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
I've just send V0.13-2 to the autobuilder, the package should be in the repositories shortly and should fix the black screen after entering log menu (if it is caused by the same issue I fixed).
Cheers!

Also, it is now possible to set where to search for POI -> near view/near current position and more options (near an address/tracklog start/end, etc.) are planned.
That'd be cool! Also (sorry, haven't been checking the tickets lately) I've noticed that of all GPS aps I have on my device the only one that allows me to easily save my current position as a POI is.....Sygic. I mean - just one click and you're at the input menu to enter, say a "Treasure chest location" ))) But seriously - just one-click action to pinpoint your position would be nice, wouldn't it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Reeby For This Useful Post:
ModRana currently uses Google Locate as a POI source, and more POI (and routing) providers are planned.
You can test this by typing something like this to the search field in Google Maps:
Code:
pizza near 60.205556, 24.655556
This searches for pizza near Nokia headquarters. The POI search in modRana works like this, you select the a keyword by pressing one of the buttons + current coordinates are used.
Searching in google maps for "pizza near -37.83582, 144.88190" works, but I don't get these results in modrana. Is there a debug mode I can enable to get a log or something?

search for beer instead.

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps