Posts: 22 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ San Diego area
A friend just got an n810, and I'm trying to set it up for him. Unfortunately, the web browser won't display any pages. When I try to go to a page, it simply has an empty window. It has an "Updating" panel in the top right that sits there spinning for a little bit, then nothing. No errors, but no web page. (Nothing in the address bar at the bottom either.) Additionally, it won't remember any settings that I make in the browser (like home page). I did a memory clear from the control panel, and still nothing. Any ideas?

For reference here's what the browser looks like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cairastravis/3293652457/

I know the connection is working, because it allowed me to download and install Skype, and Skype was able to successfully connect to my Skype account.

Try a reboot; sometimes the browser backend (browserd) can crash and cause this behavior.

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
I've done full power cycles (including removing the battery).

Try opening the X Terminal application and typing browser [RETURN], and seeing if there are any errors. I don't even know if the browser has traceback, but it's worth a try.

No output to the terminal when run from the terminal (except "Killed") when I exit.

The Following User Says Thank You to Caira For This Useful Post:
Ok, my last stab:

Run as root:

Code:
invoke-rc.d tablet-browser-daemon start
If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
What happens when you type in an address in the bar? Can you give the sequence. Does the address just dissappear? stay for a wile and then go?
What happens if you type a search term in the desktop Google bar? (enable if necessary in Home/select apps/internet search). This should start the browser and go to the search results.
What do you have in the browser under view/encoding? Mine is Unicode (UTF-8) FWIW.
Have you tried a number of different sites?

Just some random things to check (not an expert)

The Following User Says Thank You to dfinch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
I think I have the same situation after reboot. I've created a entry in the personal menu that runs as root
Code:
/etc/init.d/tablet-browser restart
I guess it's the same thing as BrentDC's code.

The Following User Says Thank You to Naranek For This Useful Post:
I'm not sure I correctly got root privileges, but after sudo su gainroot, followed by /etc/init.d/tablet-browser-daemon restart, I got the following output:

Stopping browser daemon: browserd
Starting browser daemon: browserd

After that, the "Updating" box stays visible on the browser any time I try to load a page, but clicking it makes it go away.

In response to the question of what happens, when I type in an address, then hit the green arrow, absolutely nothing happens. The only feedback is the screen click sound and the button highlighting momentarily.

Given that the n810 is brand new, I'm wondering whether people think I should have my friend return it for a replacement, or first try reflashing the firmware. Opinions?

Originally Posted by dfinch View Post
What happens if you type a search term in the desktop Google bar? (enable if necessary in Home/select apps/internet search). This should start the browser and go to the search results.
What do you have in the browser under view/encoding? Mine is Unicode (UTF-8) FWIW.
Have you tried a number of different sites?
The desktop Google bar launches the browser, but after the brief "Updating", it looks just like my picture.
View/Encoding crashes the browser.
I have tried a number of different sites (google, wikipedia, Nokia).
The "Get started" app on the default desktop also doesn't work (comes up, then crashes), so it's looking like either a hardware problem or a firmware problem.