Active Topics

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Did you reflash the thing after buying it? Maybe the installed OS has some problems?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
one heavy handed option would be to uninstall the parts that make up the browser, and reinstall them.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ San Diego area
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Did you reflash the thing after buying it? Maybe the installed OS has some problems?
I haven't flashed it; I'm trying to decide whether I should.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Flash it. Something is very wrong. After you've flashed it, you will be in a normal situation.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Yes, reflash. If it's new you can't lose anything (cept perhaps some of your set-up time). If it won't reflash he can return it anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to dfinch For This Useful Post:
Not 100% sure (because I uninstalled it so long ago), but I think the Get Started applet uses Flash, which is kind of part of the browser.

I definitely agree you should reflash. It sounds like a corruption/permissions problem to me, and a reflash will fix that.

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Hi, what is the result of:
Code:
ls /etc/rc2.d/*tablet-browser-daemon* /etc/rc2.d/*x-server*
In my tablet, I'd get the symptoms described in your first post because the 'S number' tablet-browser-daemon had was lower than the one x-server had.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-03-12 at 08:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
I'll reflash it when I get home from work. Thanks for all your help.

Sorry for not reporting the results back earlier, but re-flashing the OS seems to have fixed the problems. The browser works fine now, as does the "Getting Started" app. Everything else seems to work also.

Thanks for all the help.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just thought I'd mention that a friend of mine bought a tablet on my recommendation. He began having this problem shortly after flashing it. It was the browserd daemon; it didn't seem to be started properly when the system was powered up, or it was crashing in the startup process before the user ever got to the desktop.

I walked him through manually starting browserd, and it worked, but there were side effects of that...

He reflashed and the problem went away, too.

Quite a mystery.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: