Active Topics

Notices

Hi everybody.

I let my N900 check my email regularly (hourly). It's a pop3-account and I have the email client (modest) set to leave mail on server.

Today I received an email showing up on my N900. As always I took notice of it, deleted it (and all other emails aswell) on the device and in the evening I used my home pc to fetch my email from the server. But - surprise - the email isn't there any more. It's not that there were no more emails, just that particular one wasn't there any more.
I tried to remember some other emails and I came to the conclusion that at least 2 emails did not show up on my home pc. As I own the mail server myself I searched some log files, with only frustrating outcomes:
- No other client except for my N900 and my home pc fetched my email.
- I definitely got that email I saw on my N900. (Just to prove I am not insane or have been dreaming or something.)
- From the logs it's impossible to see what or who (and when) deleted that particular email.

I just wanted to know if anything like this happened to someone else. If not, I will try and set modest to log something as described by Andre Klapper in this post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=611284&postcount=4

Hopefully there is someone else who encountered that problem.

Any thoughts?

DerYo-->

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2009 @ White Post, VA
I believe I read that PRI 1.2 introduced a bug that intermittently deletes mail from the server, even if that option is not selected. I'll look it up later and post the specifics.

Thanks to your hint (PR 1.2) I found an interesting thread about that topic in a vodafone board:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/topic/66...g-pr12-update/

It seems every email that is deleted on the N900 is lost. I have to check whether that's what happens to me. I just noticed some emails being deleted but possibly this is only the case becaus I normally only delete spam mails on my N900 (and I don't miss these too much )

this is a rather dated thread, but the problem still seems to persist. I use the same setup: pop pulls the mail onto the N900 with "leave on server". Then I use pop to pull the mail to the laptop with 'delete on server'.
Yesterday, I deleted all maill (cleaned up) on the N900 and found that none of these mail showed up on the laptop when doing pop3 (happened AFTER the cleanup i.e. delete on the N900). I then repeated the procedure in a controlled way:
1. sent myself a mail to the server
2. picked it up through pop3 with 'öeave mail on server' to the N900
3. deleted it on the N900
4. looked at the mailbox on server: empty!!!!!

this is pretty disastrous. Anybody aware of this issue.

Using CSSU and PR1.3

Mine emptied the server randomly this week. 1.3 stock

did you delete something on the N900?