Notices

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Michigan, USA
that only disables it for a single session, at least here, the notifications come back on the next launch.

Isn't there a way to completely remove this plugin/prevent it from being loaded thru some configuration file?

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Yeah on bigger servers the plugin is really annoying because you have to click like 100 messages away.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Simple hacky solution how to disable the annoying plugin:

cd /usr/lib/xchat/plugins/
mv xchat_notify.so xchat_notify.so.bak
Xchat will stop loading the plugin and you can finally use your phone again without tipping hundreds of PMs away.

(Sorry for hijacking the thread, but this thread is listed as the project's bugtracker)

Originally Posted by fms View Post
1) Disabled Python support (XChat did not compile with it on SB2).
XChat is working impressively well on the N900. I'm currently trying to tie it in to espeak so that I can hear what's going on while I'm walking around. There's an XChat plugin to do this, but it's Python based, and Python is disabled.

I was just wondering what the current problems are with using Python, whether there are any plans to implement the XChat Python plugin for the N900 any time soon, or whether anyone has any alternative suggestions for getting my N900 to read me what's happening on IRC

Originally Posted by tlma View Post
I was just wondering what the current problems are with using Python,
Just what the changelog says - it does not compile in SB2 when Python support is enabled.

whether there are any plans to implement the XChat Python plugin for the N900 any time soon,
Well, dunno much about Python plugins but if you make XChat compile in SB2 with Python support enabled, I will gladly include your fixes into the release. You can report your progress right here, in this thread.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Just what the changelog says - it does not compile in SB2 when Python support is enabled.
Why does that matter? It compiles fine in SB1 with Python support enabled. And SB1 is what the Autobuilder uses.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Why does that matter? It compiles fine in SB1 with Python support enabled. And SB1 is what the Autobuilder uses.
Yes, but I cannot build XChat locally with Python enabled. So, I am unable to test or debug it before committing to autobuilder.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Yes, but I cannot build XChat locally with Python enabled. So, I am unable to test or debug it before committing to autobuilder.
You know what I think of SB2, anyway.

It's a one line change in debian/rules -- surely it's not hard to add "--enable-python" before running dpkg-buildpackage to prepare a source package?

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-02-28 at 19:35.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
You know what I think SB2, anyway.
Probably the same I think of SB1

It's a one line change in debian/rules -- surely it's not hard to add "--enable-python" before running dpkg-buildpackage to prepare a source package?
Well, there is another little wart that comes with it: if XChat is compiled with Python support and there is no Python installed, XChat prints weird error messages on startup (about shared libraries not being found). Given that, the SB2 incompatibility, and the fact that nobody seems to need it (this is the first request for Python in months, and only because there is some obscure plugin that uses it), I simply do not want to mess with Python support.

Well, there is another little wart that comes with it: if XChat is compiled with Python support and there is no Python installed, XChat prints weird error messages on startup (about shared libraries not being found). Given that, the SB2 incompatibility, and the fact that nobody seems to need it (this is the first request for Python in months, and only because there is some obscure plugin that uses it), I simply do not want to mess with Python support.
If Python is installed, then they shouldn't show.
The only reason that people may see them is if they don't have (lib)Python installed, and that's possible because I stopped libpython from being added to XChat's dependencies automatically - I figure noone wants it installed automatically if they have no need for it.

Of course, the tradeoff, as you know, is the error messages. I can shrug them off but I can see how they may confuse new users...

True, I have no need for the plugin either, but "every little helps"... =)