Notices

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by Arash F. DropBox employee
@jonne
the api limits are for the development keys (not for production keys)

that said, we will be offering a long-polling api at some point to help apps keep up to date on their users' dropboxes.
Very good news for DropN900 folks. I made some inquiries in the dropbox forums last night. It seems other people are also having to implement syncing on their own as the API or the libs from dropbox does not provide this. I asked about the API call limits that I had read from the documentation and they said that there is no limit for production keys. I have a production key so there wont be any problems there! Also they didn't seem to mind my plans of making this kind of polling sync for us.

Plus as you can see they are planning a long-polling api to support noticing changes better! You can read more about it on wikipedia.

Originally Posted by N. N. from DropBox Support
I'm not saying that we will implement this in the API, mind you, but if we were to do it, there's one thing you seem to have forgotten about.

While it is true that the desktop versions sync the files immediately, none of our mobile apps have this functionality. So if we were to implement this in the API, we'd have to add it to out mobile clients first and foremost. Don't you agree? ;-)
I was very surprised to read from the forums that even the iPhone/iPad version of their mobile client does NOT have syncing of any kind if I understood correctly. Then again he is talking of immediate changes, so maybe they have a big "SYNC" button on the iPhone too to do it manually In order to call my app being capable of syncing it has to have both upload and download. I will start with the downloading part and move on up.

Last edited by jonnenau; 2010-07-28 at 08:40.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jonnenau For This Useful Post:
Posts: 458 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Holland
Is it also possible to create an account like facebook for DropBox? So you can share files from e.g. the gallery with the share option?

The Following User Says Thank You to Carlito For This Useful Post:
Jonne: While you're browsing Dropbox forums maybe you could also query about addition of public links to API At least for me it would be most likely the main use case:
1) Send a file to a Public folder in Dropbox via N900
2) Press e.g. "Copy Link" button to copy public link of the uploaded file to clipboard
3) Paste the link e.g. in IM chat for a friend to open

Of course I could get the link via web interface but if it could be done inside the native client, it would be superb

Originally Posted by Jaykie View Post
Jonne: While you're browsing Dropbox forums maybe you could also query about addition of public links to API At least for me it would be most likely the main use case:
1) Send a file to a Public folder in Dropbox via N900
2) Press e.g. "Copy Link" button to copy public link of the uploaded file to clipboard
3) Paste the link e.g. in IM chat for a friend to open

Of course I could get the link via web interface but if it could be done inside the native client, it would be superb
I was going to look at this later, but Oulu requests go on top of my morning (yes just woke up I coded until 6am in the morning) schedule I already had a hunch that I could generate the public links without dropbox API, note I can do this for the existing public folder as you said in your use case. The trick is that I get the followin account data when you authenticate from the API:

Code:
{ 
  'country': 'FI',
  'display_name': 'Jonne Nauha', 
  'email': 'jonne.nauha@evocativi.com', 
  'uid': 3589544, 
  'quota_info': 
  {
    'shared': 1299137987, 
    'quota': 2415919104L, 
    'normal': 232254872
  }
}
So useful information for the client to show to the user, like how much space you have left etc. I already use the display_name in the lower right corner so you know what you are logged in with. The uid field there is the important one.

All public links are with the following schema:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/<uid>/path/to/file
Example for my uid:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3589544/Drop...-16-7-2010.png

So, I will put this in now and test my theory out UI wise, as this link is only for files not folders, when inside the /Public path and a file is selected I will hide the upload and new folder buttons as they are disabled anyway for files and replace the with 'copy public link' and 'open public link'. With the open button I'll pop the OS browser up, optionally I have my own browser with qt. But I assume the build in browser (or FF or Opera) can handle more file types than my custom one.

I think the API addition will be 1. setting a folder outside /Public to be shared 2. Generating the link from DP for that file, these links are valid for some months if I recall correctly.

Edit: /Public/* path items can now be opened directly with the OS default browser and copied to OS clipboard. Will be in the next release.

Last edited by jonnenau; 2010-07-28 at 14:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonnenau For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
Is it also possible to create an account like facebook for DropBox? So you can share files from e.g. the gallery with the share option?
Yes, I'd like this as well, but you can do this currently with Pixelpipe's sharing service, as they can upload to Dropbox.

The Following User Says Thank You to akurtz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ wales
all these changes are massive, cant wait, this will be the most functional mobile dropbox client. great work

Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
Originally Posted by akurtz View Post
Yes, I'd like this as well, but you can do this currently with Pixelpipe's sharing service, as they can upload to Dropbox.
Ah now I actually understood the question when someone replied to it. Actually yes, it is possible to create a new account with the API. It's basically one call and then we move on to login. I will probably have time to add "Register Account" button to the login widget, that would take you to another dialog where you fill in the needed data. Thanks for the great idea Carlito

But this will be in the app, not in the nokia shared accounts settings menu. And publishing daemon would be another thing. Maybe later when I have the basic app ready I could think of releasing a dropbox share plugin for the whole phone/operating system.

Last edited by jonnenau; 2010-07-28 at 17:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnenau For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
Any update on when the multi file or folder download might be coming?
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

Originally Posted by jonnenau View Post
I was going to look at this later, but Oulu requests go on top of my morning (yes just woke up I coded until 6am in the morning) schedule
Haha I hope others will like this fuctionality as well or I will be blamed for cutting in line in the list of feature requests :P Anyways keep up the good work, cant wait to test new release out after friday!

Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
Any update on when the multi file or folder download might be coming?
Multi file download seems to be quite a lot of work as the PyQt provided dialogs was a bust. Now that I'm implementing the sync feature I will be doing a "Transfers" view that can be accessed from the top app menu. This will show all uploads/downloads and sync status. It would be then easy to implement folder downloading, and possibly folder uploading also. Or selecting a folder for download and then pick files inside it to be downloaded. These would then form a queue to the Transfers view and items would be downloaded one by one. I will try to do the folder dl also for friday but for now I focus making the sync DL and Transfers view working well.

Originally Posted by Jaykie View Post
Haha I hope others will like this fuctionality as well or I will be blamed for cutting in line in the list of feature requests :P Anyways keep up the good work, cant wait to test new release out after friday!
Believe me you weren't cutting, this was one of the most missed features from the day I released DropN900 Also I let you throw ideas and pick what is most requested or makes most sense even if its the latest request made. We make this app together, I just code it

P.S. Coding help is always welcome too. Code is up in github, make a fork go crazy and post a pull request Maybe ask me first if you are planning on doing something bigger, so we wont do duplicate work. Open source wtf o/

Last edited by jonnenau; 2010-07-28 at 21:39.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonnenau For This Useful Post: