Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
The best hope is to come up with a gnu/linux distribution that uses Android linux kernels and drivers, so that it can quickly be ported to new generations of Android phone hardware. I think that's what Ubuntu Touch is, but I'm defeated by its lack of X11 support.
Or Mer, or Sailfish, or FirefoxOS, or even lunaOS these days...

There's no longer any Linux left, it's just Android these days, and starting to eat up on the desktop too.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Or Mer, or Sailfish, or FirefoxOS, or even lunaOS these days...

There's no longer any Linux left, it's just Android these days, and starting to eat up on the desktop too.
I don't understand what you're saying. Are you saying that one of the above OSs can use Android kernel and drivers, and provide gnu/linux + X11? I'm pretty sure that's not true of Sailfish - it is Wayland based, and I've been told that the X11 compatibility that Wayland hypothetically provides does not actually exist for Sailfish. I think Mer is Wayland only too now. Am I wrong?

The Following User Says Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I don't understand what you're saying. Are you saying that one of the above OSs can use Android kernel and drivers, and provide gnu/linux + X11? I'm pretty sure that's not true of Sailfish - it is Wayland based, and I've been told that the X11 compatibility that Wayland hypothetically provides does not actually exist for Sailfish. I think Mer is Wayland only too now. Am I wrong?
Yes, all of them use Android behind the scenes and (except for FirefoxOS) provide a GNU userland and X11. In the case of Sailfish, there's Xsdl for a quick show, and Xwayland for a.. well, at this point, it offers no benefits over Xsdl.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
The best hope is to come up with a gnu/linux distribution that uses Android linux kernels and drivers, so that it can quickly be ported to new generations of Android phone hardware. I think that's what Ubuntu Touch is, but I'm defeated by its lack of X11 support.
Have you seen this video of Ubuntu Mate running on the Meizu MX4? It demonstrates applications such as LibreOffice and Chrome running on XMir.

Canonical are also working on Miracast support.

They're also teasing us a little:
"The same Ubuntu experience across any device - coming soon"

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
I really want to be able to carry a small gnu/linux machine where ever I go. [...] I'd buy a Pyra in a second, even though I care nothing about games, but who knows when they will actually be available.
Why not Pandora 1GHz?
https://www.dragonbox.de/en/189-pand...-consoles.html

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Why not Pandora 1GHz?
https://www.dragonbox.de/en/189-pand...-consoles.html
"Currently out of stock." That's why.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
#21: there is libhybris. Why can't we use it to run our favorite distro on any Android device? What are we missing?

#22: I'd argue. The thing I love about N900 is that it's one device to rule them all. I don't have to carry two devices. There are times I use it mainly as a phone. At times, I exhaust its computer potential. It's a win-win situation
(more replies will follow in a while)

#25:
it's why it's not always good to use popular OSes

well, it's nice to be able to code on the fly, on the phone. It's why I built OCaml. Sometimes, when I was reading some C examples, I simply fired up some text editor, compiled and checked how it works.

#27: well, what I'm missing in Pandora is... the cellphone feature

#34: yes, but you don't bring the whole toolbox just to screw one screw. So it comes with the smartphones - it's easier to code a 10-liner on a phone than to carry the laptop with you.

as for the iPhone. Its success bases on the fact that an average user wishes not to think about the usage. Just make a couple of calls, send some snaps, reply on fb. Nothing intricate, nothing complicated. We're not average users.

as for the Pyra. I wish I could really use it as a phone But with terminal-only dialing, I really doubt it's ready for it
besides, the gaming controls seem superfluous to me.

Someone commented a thing about Jolla. Well, it's unavoidable to target mainstream audience. It's the core of the company's income. What Nokia managed to do and failed to continue was to create a device which both laymen and hackers can use.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Last edited by marmistrz; 2016-01-02 at 20:14.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
#21: there is libhybris. Why can't we use it to run our favorite distro on any Android device? What are we missing?
An N900-like android device?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Have you seen this video of Ubuntu Mate running on the Meizu MX4? It demonstrates applications such as LibreOffice and Chrome running on XMir.
[...]

It's videos like that which are the source of much frustration to me. The narrator says "First of all we have to start an xmir window, and I will do this from a remote login where I have already lined up the commands..." . The commands to get xmir to work are never shown. I've seen several videos like this that show xmir can work on at least some Ubuntu Touch devices, but I've found none that show how to actually get xmir to run. What little snippets of nonvideo documentation I've found has only allowed me to brick the phone a few times. I've seen even less evidence that SailfishOS actually can work as an X11 server.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
An N900-like android device?
Well, what I mean is: we have libhybris. Even though, Ubuntu Touch barely works on unofficial devices. Shouldn't it be trivial to install Linux on any Android device?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy