Originally Posted by mikeallen View Post
What is the reason for this website? Is it totally ignored by the company?
maemo.org is a user-to-user community around the maemo platform.

The "INTRO" tab at the top, under the giant maemo.org logo, tells you what maemo.org is for. Click it. Read it.

Posts: 401 | Thanked: 724 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Italy
I don't observe a change of colour - but that is an aside. The key issue to me is that there is no top of page notification. I am not cooling for colour changes or any fancy stuff. Just basic notification working, out of the box.

I'd might be happier to buy fancy wheels for the "ferrari" if the steering wheel didn't keep falling off. When the steering wheel keeps falling off I loose confidence in the car and the company.
There is an application that you can use for display sms and others notification on the main desktop.

When i update the software i noticed some problems in windows managment caused by theme corrupted. Please try do switch for a moment to another theme and then re-set yours. It could be helpful for some things. It takes less than a minute.

BTW im not sure on what you mean with " The key issue to me is that there is no top of page notification". What you want exactly?

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
It doesn't appear to me to be anything to do with the service provider - the date and time of the SMS (alert message) is spot on. The problem is that the N900 is not presenting the message in a timely and "emphasis of matter critical" mode.
The date and time only refers to when the message was uploaded to your service provider's server. If the message is not being pushed to your n900 in a timely fashion (thus resulting in notification on the desktop) that is the service provider's fault.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
I'll just say one thing and leave this alone:

People here are trying to help you. There's absolutely no point in posting something like this if you're just going to wave people's solutions away. Just saying it should be included in the device won't magically make it happen.

Applications in Maemo Extras or Ovi have a very little chance of messing up your device; it's only -testing and -devel that you need to worry about.

Just approach ideas with an open mind.

(After all, these days, "apps" are what set smartphones away from feature phones/dumbphones.)
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

[QUOTE=mikeallen;737476]
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post

If you are away from your phone and come back and look at messages there is no evidence of a message.
Really? No flashing lights? No glowing indicator icon? Are you sure you're using an n900?

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Ok, ONE LAST TIME. Here are 4 ways you are notified of a new message:

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Regarding notifications, the light blinks blue, there is a notification on the lock screen telling you that there is a message/email/missed call and how many, AND there is the yellow "card" that pops up in the dashboard (which will lead you right to the message if you click on it).

Hmmm.. apparently you didn't read this. In addition to those other 3, the task switcher icon in the upper left corner also glows when there is a notification.
These are all out of the box enabled with pr 1.2. If you need more than that there are great free and safe apps such as maenotify and callnotify that will give you even more notification. There is also this app which is under development (read: not ready for end users) that you might find helpful.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Originally Posted by niels View Post
I don't encounter these problems with PR1.2. You probably just have a bad phone. Get it replaced.

BTW, the official N900 website is quite clear about how the conversations work (http://maemo.nokia.com/features/conversations/) - it shouldn't be a surprise that messages are "hidden" in a conversation.
There is no evidence to me that I have a bad phone. Bluetooth worked until I stupidly updated the firmware. The presentation of messages is totally software related.

The website you link to is irrelevant. If you have been out of the room and you return and look at your phone, the fact that you have received a new message should be "screaming in your face" with one of those "yellow notes" when you access the device.

Originally Posted by schettj View Post
maemo.org is a user-to-user community around the maemo platform.

The "INTRO" tab at the top, under the giant maemo.org logo, tells you what maemo.org is for. Click it. Read it.
And I am here to say how maemo is "pissing me off" in relation to the N900 implementation. Nothing more, because I would be wasting my time on suggestions about the iPhone 4 or anything else - which I don't own.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
If you have been out of the room and you return and look at your phone, the fact that you have received a new message should be "screaming in your face" with one of those "yellow notes" when you access the device.
It does put a yellow box on the task manager until you either access that one or close it. And no, I would not want the top 10% of my screen occupied by notifications for more than a few seconds. Perhaps you should change to a theme where the task switcher icon glows more intensely.

Originally Posted by realsportcars View Post
There is an application that you can use for display sms and others notification on the main desktop.

When i update the software i noticed some problems in windows managment caused by theme corrupted. Please try do switch for a moment to another theme and then re-set yours. It could be helpful for some things. It takes less than a minute.

BTW im not sure on what you mean with " The key issue to me is that there is no top of page notification". What you want exactly?
I have tried changing themes to no avail.

By "top of page" notification I mean if I stroke the screen and slide the bar, if I get an SMS yellow notification to give me or lead me to the missed message(s) - same of I press the on/off button to wake up the device. ie if I mess with the device after returning to the phone it tells me about missed calls, sms etc