Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
I went to the IRC channel when i first got my N900 last week and asked for a way to increase the size of the partitions to avoid them running out of space too soon, the people there that responded, rudelly told me to only come back when it actually became an issue, as if it would never happen; i shouldn't have believed those idiots, now it seems i might need to waste hours reinstalling and setting up everything again. Or is there a safe way to rescale partitions without having to loose the data each of them have? With Ubuntu i did that on a 500GB harddisk that already had Ubuntu and WinXP installed and nothing bad happened on either OSs, can Maemo5 running on the N900 itself do the same?

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2010-08-15 at 10:57.

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
there is a way to make your rootfs in your mydocs but i didnt tried that.
sry i dont know where to find the thread.
use the power search

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Are you sure you're on PR1.2 ? I have tons of apps installed, even from testing and still have well over 50 megs free on rootfs. Resizing the rootfs is not easy because the mass storage and the rootfs are on physically different devices.

version from About product: 10.2010.19-1.002

Is there a prog that will output a log of what is using how much disk space so i can post here (well, it's gonna be big, i'll put the contents on pastebin and a link here) so you can analyze and look for any abnormalities and stuff i can move to the big partition or simply delete?

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
A good wiki page for freeing up space:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Free_up_rootfs_space

Use with caution

I haven't had any prog complain yet, but this is already bringing me PTSD flashbacks from having to stop installing progs due to the permanent memory leaks bug in my N73

i've got only 1.8MB left on rootfs and i can't find what else to uninstall but i still got things i want to install

help? o.o

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2010-08-22 at 03:00.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It is possible to overload your N900. You can't necessarily load every program you have ever wanted too load. You can do that with the N810 or N800, but not the N900. You have done something that very few of us have managed with the N900--totally overloaded it. When you say "I can't find what else to uninstall" what does that mean? You should be able to uninstall one program after another. You should be able to uninstall practically every program you ever installed.

But I have a feeling that you have done something somehow that has screwed your system up in a non-obvious fashion.

If I were you, I would reflash again and watch my memory and rootfs. Then I would SLOWLY add things back and see how your memory is affected. There has to be a reason why what you consider a reasonable number of programs installed has gotten you to this overloaded situation.

There isn't a program to generate a log of what is using up the diskspace so people can take a look and point out to me what to do? I don't wanna have to install everything again.....