Notices

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
I am aware that one can enable FM transmission in the status menu using FM car kit, but I have a slightly different request. On the actual call screen whilst a call is being taken, to have a small button to turn on or off the FM transmitter. would be useful whilst driving and a call comes in, to then be able to route it to the FM radio

Last edited by Storm_11; 2011-06-13 at 11:51.

hmmm, this thread perhaps goes deeper than I thought. Two scenario's:

I make outgoing call. I first turn on the FM transmitter through the status menu. Then make call. This works perfectly as expected.

I receive incoming call. I have to first accept the call, then go into status menu and enable FM transmitter. This does not work as expected, as the call audio is still through the handset, though one can hear the beep from the car radio.

Hi erm even i have Fm Kit installed the best way to use it is to turn on Fm Kit when you get into the car now if u make or recieve any call it will come straight through your car radio of obviously tuned to correct frequency! but unfortunately if your Fm Kit is not turned on and phone call comes in then you try to turn it on it just doesnt work maybe thats how the program is made. I know its annoying as when i am driving and that happens i just have to reject call and then turn on Fm Kit and call the person back! Maybe someone could change that bit of the Fm Kit exactly like you said so it would auto connect but thats where the problem is! how would n900 know its in the car and it should auto connect to Fm transmitter? As if you are not in car and n900 auto connects to Fm Kit you cant hear any thing through the n900 speaker! So thats what the problem and reason is hope you understand and it helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to romiiio For This Useful Post:
yep romiiio, thats the exact problem that I have too. I know if I have fmcarkit enabled when I enter the car, if I forget to turn it off when I get out of the car, I won't hear the phone ring.

thats why if i could get it to work when the call has already been answered, it takes away the variability that you mentioned. a button or something on the call screen to enable it would make it much easier

Bump to the top. Anybody?

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Lebanon
Hi,

As far as I know, changing the call UI is not possible as this is a closed source component.

However, the closest thing I could think of is create a script that when enabled would listen through Dbus to incoming calls, and once accepted would turn on FMTX. I know this doesn't solve the problem with forgetting to turn it on once in the car, perhaps a http://wiki.maemo.org/Queen_BeeCon_Widget widget would help.

Cheers

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Storm_11 View Post
Bump to the top. Anybody?
Can't help you with that but I am working on the integration of CarKit into my application FriendlyFM. But this would only be useful for you if you're using the FM transmitter while driving. Advantage is that you don't have to worry about switching of CarKit when leaving the car as the CarKit functionality is only active while the transmitter is active. And the transmitter stops automatically when stopping playback in mediaplayer...

The Following User Says Thank You to percy For This Useful Post:
percy, sounds great so far. Ideally, what would take away the issue altogether is if there was capability to route the sound of the call to FM if FM is enabled after the call is accepted. I don't use the media player of the n900 in the car. this takes away the whole having to enable it PRIOR to the call coming in, which makes more logical sense to me,

I am aware that one can enable FM transmission in the status menu using FM car kit, but I have a slightly different request. On the actual call screen whilst a call is being taken, to have a small button to turn on or off the FM transmitter. would be useful whilst driving and a call comes in, to then be able to route it to the FM radio
percy, sounds great so far. Ideally, what would take away the issue altogether is if there was capability to route the sound of the call to FM if FM is enabled after the call is accepted. I don't use the media player of the n900 in the car. this takes away the whole having to enable it PRIOR to the call coming in, which makes more logical sense to me,

Look through the the maemo repo's

There is something called FM Carkit and basically its a statusmenu plugin that allows u to press it, it then enables the FM transmitter AND will route calls through the FM transmitter

ps. Its either in the devel, testing or extras repo :P I am not sure what exact one it is in as I have all of them enabled.

I AM NOT SAYING TO ENABLE ALL THE REPOS IF YOU ARENT COMFORTABLE WITH RE-FLASHING/DEALING WITH ISSUES CAUSED BY DODGY PROGRAMS!

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
percy, sounds great so far. Ideally, what would take away the issue altogether is if there was capability to route the sound of the call to FM if FM is enabled after the call is accepted.
Well, but that is what you get using FM CarKit.

The problem is neither CarKit nor FriendlyFM know when you enter or leave the car. So you have to "tell" them somehow.

The suggested button on the "accept call" screen would be one solution but not one I can offer.