Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
Funny, I thought a forum is supposed to store every post?
Everyone can always edit their own posts. Or delete, but that leaves a trail. You can also rename a thread, albeit there is a time limit for that.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ CZ & US ex-(UK/France/Switzerland/Canada)
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Everyone can always edit their own posts. Or delete, but that leaves a trail. You can also rename a thread, albeit there is a time limit for that.
Right, but the question is - can a user of the forum access the history? If not, does the forum internally store the changes? A question not necessarily related to this particular topic, just wondering in general...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wolda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ CZ & US ex-(UK/France/Switzerland/Canada)
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
I agree in general however 7" is something I can actually find some use for. I have old samsung GT-P6800 which I still can find some use for at certain occasions. So 7" device to me is an exception. mainly because it still fits a pocket on one hand and is already big enough to use as conventional (but ultramobile) desktop at some occasions. Similar form-factor with linux on board is something which may (might) extend the use of the device from occasional to everyday (again, just for me).
So to be honest, I think that the original opening message of this thread did sound to me Chen is also a part of the tablet revival project. He was using the word "we" all the time, not the word "they". I do have a feeling (but frankly I don't care too much to look up) that he later posted a comment and clarified he is mainly the man-in-the-middle for communication, and he himself wants to purely focus on the qwerty project(s). All of this is not meant to catch Chen on particular words with particular timestamps and try to build some big conspiracy plot, all what I am saying here is that reading the original first post could easily leave the impression he's part of the real Youyota team (in particular, I understood it that way at the very beginning).

Whatever; something I actually do not understand is why this other person - let's call him Mike for instance - never registered / log-in here to say something. Even now, a message of the type "we ****ed up, the project is lost, we spend X-fraction of the money and we gonna do this and that with the (1-X)-fraction; sorry guys, no more youyota" sounds to me much better than awkward silence. It was a crowdfunding, all the bakers knew ... ok, should have known ... it might fail (and in my eyes, the bad odds here were amplified by the previous failure of Jolla)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Wolda For This Useful Post:
It's too bad, because now there's even less of an incentive for Jolla to fix the long-standing massive software issues exclusive to the tablet. Half a year ago they even introduced a new bug which causes all screenshots to be completely blank, and there isn't even an ETA on when that might be fixed - if it will be fixed. The battery still goes from 100 to 0 in a day without being used, the screen is still way too bright as soon as the sun starts to set, the Android support's localisation still doesn't work (shouldn't this be a one-line fix?) which is particularly frustrating given the lack of tablet-compatible Sailfish applications (and without a new batch of tablets, it doesn't sound like there will be many more to come), video playback is truly horrendous and constantly bugs out in ways you'd never imagined possible, ...

Perhaps another failure is for the best. Now you only lose (a fair amount of) money. If you had received the tablet, after the third day of bugs upon bugs (and being connected to the power socket 24/7), you might have lost the will to live.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wolda View Post
Whatever; something I actually do not understand is why this other person - let's call him Mike for instance - never registered / log-in here to say something.
Do we really not know the guy's name? It really should be an easily found name, associated with this, so that he can't do this again to others.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
But to me you comment to Jolla feels like you are praising a doctor for not giving a patient medicine, and after he died "look, I was right not giving him any, he would die anyway"
It may be that Jolla knew something we did not know from their previous failure and decided that backing this project was too risky for them. Imagine the PR damage if they put their name behind this project and we ended up in this situation - their own tablet endeavor was a disaster already, burning their hands second time on practically same product would have been an utter disaster for them. Also, I don't know how far any official contacts between Jolla and Youota were in the first place - were there any, as from the comments it looks like such things were supposed to be ironed out only after production was really happening?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
I also don't need a tablet, but it's a useful separate device. I use it for Spotify (yeah that's Android I know) using Bluetooth to my speakers in my living room and in my kitchen to look up recipes.

The sad thing is that Sailfish on tablets (I own a Jolla tablet) actually works great. Even better than on the phone. And a much cleaner interface than Android (I used to have one of those). I'd imagine Bang & Olufson could design it, if they were into designing tablet interfaces.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
As with everything, the first question everyone should ask is not, "Why did X do/not do Y?"
Rather, it should be, "What would I do if I were in X's place?"

Imagine you are a member of the Jolla's board of executives. You have barely survived the tablet disaster. Chances are you have never heard about Youyota but imagine you did.
Would you
a) endorse it right away;
b) wait to see how it turns out and endorse it then;
c) ignore it completely?

To me, the most logical option seems to be b).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Latest statement form Youyota:
Dear backers,Thanks for all the supports. We are working on the production processing. Since we need manufacture MOQ 3000pcs, and our Indiegogo order is less than 1000pcs. So we are looking for the way to solve this MOQ issue. We will keep you informed!Thanks again for understand!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sichtelement For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
As with everything, the first question everyone should ask is not, "Why did X do/not do Y?"
Rather, it should be, "What would I do if I were in X's place?"
Are you sure? I always thought it should be "What would Jesus do?"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os