Originally Posted by gohan2091 View Post
Duke Nukem 3D is a good example of an application/game that asks you where you want the files installed. It is not a shortcut, it's the whole thing. I have Duke Nukem installed on my microSD card, so it is possible, yes. I also installed Debian I think it's called, it came with Open Office, Firefox (Iceweasel), Gimp and all other things, this also asked me what location to install.

I don't see why someone can't prompt this message up everytime the N810 tries to install a file. If this cannot be done, I will have to do some of the ways suggested here, but it seems like such a pain to do.
Easy Debian uses a full file system self-contained in an image file or partition, this is nearly the same concept behind cloning

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Some games, such as that one, ask where to locate their data files. The program still lives in the internal storage though.

Programs on the tablets can't run from flash memory cards that are formatted to work with Windows, as most are. Programs can use data files on those flash cards though.

Easy Debian installs a huge data file on a flash memory card, and that data file holds all the programs it runs. It's essentially a virtual hard drive in a file, a special, roundabout trick that lets the tablets do some things they otherwise couldn't. The programs that make up Easy Debian itself and pull off the trick though, they live in the internal storage.
Actually, Easy Debian's programs are in the image file/partition, only the home directory (for config files mostly) and /media/* are mounted. But that's mostly beside the point (see above for why).

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
My experience is that most people (myself included) install a lot of applications that they never use. If you self-audit and delete some of the things that you just installed to "check out," you'll find yourself with a lot of space on the internal flash.

Tim

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
Actually, Easy Debian's programs are in the image file/partition, only the home directory (for config files mostly) and /media/* are mounted.
By "programs that make up Easy Debian itself", I meant the scripts that mount the filesystem image, create the chroot environment, etc. My point was, they're kept in internal storage. I was just trying to avoid getting bogged down in unnecessary technical detail.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
[...]I was just trying to avoid getting bogged down in unnecessary technical detail.
Isn't that what we do here? That's the reason I joined the forum...

Tags
applications, memory, n810