Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
nokiabot's Avatar
Posts: 1,973 | Thanked: 1,822 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
#1
Tic Tac Toe
****
davy is fast
check third post please
i want some sensible answers as most here are devlopers i.e people who know actually about thease things
or rather whom should i ask then?

i will be updating imformation based on what you ask of me as i really have less clue as this feels like a marriage decision to me or rather people around me are biased or i am maybe .

Last edited by nokiabot; 2016-01-13 at 17:28.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Dave999's Avatar
Posts: 6,872 | Thanked: 8,434 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
#2
Guys. The smokes are on me.
__________________
Do something for the climate today! Anything!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...I'm also supporting Apple 2016 or until Jolla fully refund or ship the jPad to all backers and supports!

"waited over a year for no tablet and then the same again for potential refund? inspires confidence!"
 

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
nokiabot's Avatar
Posts: 1,973 | Thanked: 1,822 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
#3
my institute requires me to either select java or .net and i am confused which to start with

i think it dosent really matter in the long run as tech moves rapidly
my question is more like which one to go for if i need less time to market or rather get hired more easily or i am just being dreamy
i am thinking of java but my counterparts are like all .net hardcore fans they say java is hard and bla bla
i dont give a ****
but then i feel like a divergent

i am bad in mathematics so what kind of things i should steer clear off would be a great advice as for long i avoided maths and i clearly see the implications of it in my daily life

my coding knowlege
can do basic webpages with a little decoration
that i learnt from codecadmey actually books didnt helped much as books werent interactive but now i am picking up and use a lot of reading material daily i did this on my own
basic familiearity with the terminal
solving basic linux problems and alikes that knowledge came for free with the n900 actually

big question comes to my mind what kind of jobs you people have encountered maybe brief descriptions of them can lead to a better insight into this.

Last edited by nokiabot; 2016-01-13 at 18:09.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
#4
Both are pretty similar, same concepts, syntax not so different, etc. If you know none of both, I would say to start with .Net (and C#) because the Microsoft tools and the documentation are far ahead the Java ones imho. So not having to worry about tooling and doc is a great help to start. Once one is learnt, switching to the other one won't be a great deal.

Personaly, I also think .net is superior to Java, but that's a matter of taste.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
nokiabot's Avatar
Posts: 1,973 | Thanked: 1,822 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
#5
Originally Posted by romu View Post
Both are pretty similar, same concepts, syntax not so different, etc. If you know none of both, I would say to start with .Net (and C#) because the Microsoft tools and the documentation are far ahead the Java ones imho. So not having to worry about tooling and doc is a great help to start. Once one is learnt, switching to the other one won't be a great deal.

Personaly, I also think .net is superior to Java, but that's a matter of taste.
so you say .net would be easier to learn as of good documentation ? on what basis ?
i ask this as proper documentation is something i really care about
 
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 5,663 | Thanked: 17,672 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#6
.Net also wins on the "get hired more easily" front. This from the position of someone who has carefully avoided both and was severely punished for it when unemployed for 6 months and 3/4 of the job offers involved C# and .Net.

That aside, I would choose Java myself due to a better portability but if the Windows desktop or mobile market is all you require, .Net is your favourite.
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
nokiabot's Avatar
Posts: 1,973 | Thanked: 1,822 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
#7
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
.Net also wins on the "get hired more easily" front. This from the position of someone who has carefully avoided both and was severely punished for it when unemployed for 6 months and 3/4 of the job offers involved C# and .Net.

That aside, I would choose Java myself due to a better portability but if the Windows desktop or mobile market is all you require, .Net is your favourite.
pleasing to my ears but what do you mean by mobile market?
dont want to be punished too for ignoring something but i am not really inspired by appstores or alikes would like to end up somewhere else preferably
 
Posts: 437 | Thanked: 1,082 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
#8
I've been a C#-devver for the past 4 years, but actually I'd still prefer Java. It's just just the language (or even despite the language), but the .NET ecosystem is... meh. Even when using commercial dev tools (Visual Studio, Xamarin), they are no better than the much more open and free tools for Java. VS still freezes daily in me, Xamarin still is buggy. Granted, I'm not paying for those, my employer does, so why should I care.

But the Java language, JDK and all surrounding development are much more community driven than anything from Microsoft. Yeah, Microsoft these days is more open than ever before, but they still are in total control. I've come to value the freedom of Java, and "true" open source in general, because the C#-world still is restrictive.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 5,663 | Thanked: 17,672 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#9
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
what do you mean by mobile market?
Sorry, the ambiguity of English has kicked in.

Read it as "Windows (desktop and mobile) market", not "(Windows desktop) and (mobile market)".
Meaning, .Net is (officially) supported only on Windows, both desktop and mobile.
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Dave999's Avatar
Posts: 6,872 | Thanked: 8,434 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
#10
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
my institute requires me to either select java or .net and i am confused which to start with

i think it dosent really matter in the long run as tech moves rapidly
my question is more like which one to go for if i need less time to market or rather get hired more easily or i am just being dreamy
i am thinking of java but my counterparts are like all .net hardcore fans they say java is hard and bla bla
i dont give a ****
but then i feel like a divergent

i am bad in mathematics so what kind of things i should steer clear off would be a great advice as for long i avoided maths and i clearly see the implications of it in my daily life

my coding knowlege
can do basic webpages with a little decoration
that i learnt from codecadmey actually books didnt helped much as books werent interactive but now i am picking up and use a lot of reading material daily i did this on my own
basic familiearity with the terminal
solving basic linux problems and alikes that knowledge came for free with the n900 actually

big question comes to my mind what kind of jobs you people have encountered maybe brief descriptions of them can lead to a better insight into this.
Ok, sorry. thought this was a smoking thread from your first post

JAVA...you learn quick. Move to scala. Become an expert. Get millions. Troll at TMO. Die. Prefect life
__________________
Do something for the climate today! Anything!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...I'm also supporting Apple 2016 or until Jolla fully refund or ship the jPad to all backers and supports!

"waited over a year for no tablet and then the same again for potential refund? inspires confidence!"
 

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:49.