Posts: 37 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Antwerp, Belgium
I own both the N900 and an iPod Touch, and I DO miss some things in the N900, although it has definitely become my main mobile device. I did research "quite" a lot about the N900 before buying one, so I knew what I was getting, and don't get me wrong, I _love_ it!
But the mailclient in iPhone OS (although still missing some handy options) easily beats the standard Maemo5 client (Modest), and the Safari browser is a lot easier to use then MicroB (although the N900's bigger screen >> the ipod/iphone screen ). And yes, I know, iPhone OS doesn't support flash, but to be honest, up until now I haven't had a wonderful flash experience on my N900 either (dedicated apps like zoutube excluded)...

So what I'd like for device is the N900's hardware keyboard, better camera, ... with the future iPhone's probably better specs. And in my perfect little dreamworld that device would be running an OS that sports the openness (high mod-ability!) and everything else linux from Maemo, together with some of the benefits of iPhone OS (like better email client and such).

Then of course, these are just my two cents

Edit: I almost forgot! I'd want the OS to have a community like the one behind Maemo, because everything that's missing is, in it's time, being added by some great minds here! Thank you to all developers compensating for the out-of-the-box "shortcomings" of our N900s!

Dries

-- Loving my N900 and the Maemo community since Feb. 2010!

Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
I was only joking... But if I had to choose between only the two options, iPhone+Maemo or N900+OS4, i'd pick the first option in a heartbeat.
Never. The keyboard was probably the main reason why I went for n900.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
A "dual boot" could be useful, but I prefer Maemo as primary OS.

Well, I don't care about iphone..... I will say... N900 + iphone Apps...will be perfect.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Southern Germany
I bought the Nokia because of its exciting hardware features and the Maemo operating system being open and unlimited.

I have bought two Apple products in my life of which both were an Apple Newton device. Apple cancelled it despite its superiority in many areas and despite a highly active community.

Someone said Apple is listening to the community? Never experienced this and the fact that Apple locks its users and developers into various cages and the way they treat their users and developers does not make me feel the opposite.

A N900 with iPhone OS? For which reason should I have bought a Maemo device then? Exactly: None.

iPhone hardware with Maemo OS would be decent, although I prefer a hardware keyboard...but iPhone OS on an N900? That's like putting a soccer mom in the seat of a race car!

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 221 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
I bought my N900, because of Maemo and because it has a decent keyboard + touchscreen.
Apple stuff is nice, but not as nice as the N900.

Not planning to switch. Even my 160 gb iPod is a paperweight now 'cause the N900 does everything so much better...

Jobs' presentations are like a perverted fusion of church service and infomercial. Weird.

I love how the glowing reviews for the iPad are from the Wall Street Journal and USA Today, then three minutes later Steve shows us the shiny new apps and they are - the Wall Street Journal, USA Today...

And, "iBooks"? I don't know if I like that. I don't know if I like that at all. What will Jobs try to brand as "his own" next? "iFood"? "iWater"? "iThought"?

Here's a question - do people in the rest of the world, outside of the USA, go crazy for Apple products? Or is it just the brainwashed consumer-zombies in the USA that go for this stuff? I can't really recall seing a lot of Apple junk anywhere else but in the US, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Last edited by oldpmaguy; 2010-04-09 at 14:39.

That's funny, I couldn't think of something I'd want less, but I would trade my physical keyboard for the digital compass.

Although, this new math library that uses the coprocessors would be cool. There not calling it OpenCL, but it sounds like they're going in that direction.

Tags
do not want, worst thread ever