Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
@Stskeeps
I meant no offence! Just too many people walking away...and no news of Jolla1 successor.
Keep it up as you are our only hope now!

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
@Stskeeps
I meant no offence! Just too many people walking away...and no news of Jolla1 successor.
Keep it up as you are our only hope now!
Such a beautiful OS deserves a good hardware. Doesn't necessary mean top specs but we really desperately need a HW to use all the potentials of Sailfish OS (Real multitasking, accurate colour etc)

Have been waiting for a Jolla 1 successor since 2013, and I am a bit losing hope now. Want to see at least a piece of tiny news to keep the "hope" going.

The HW is getting cheaper and cheaper recently (Now a 720p 2g ram Android is less than $100 in China) just wish it can reduce cost or make it easier for Jolla to make a successor.

Nontheless, we will all keep waiting. Keep sailing!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Just a quick update:

So it is official, Marc Dillon is leaving the company.

Official Jolla's Twitter:
@nodevel It's Sunday,forgive me if I didn't get to all the tweets Yes, @MarcDillonDotFi is leaving the company to pursue other challenges
I hope he shares his reasons to do so, if he's not under any NDA. Those reasons might be private, so it's up to him, but it would be good if Jolla communicated it in time (he was the face of the company afterall) before all the panic starts.

It certainly doesn't look good, but let's hope the reasons are not serious. For me, it is the second worst news, after learning that a good part of the company belongs to a questionable russian businessman, few months ago.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
Yeah - really bad news. Especially when it being held back and not announced in any way. Let's see and hope for Jolla staying afloat.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
and apparently the replacement of Marc Dillon is already in place:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/anttiohrling

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
A guy from Rovio ?

Originally Posted by P@t View Post
and apparently the replacement of Marc Dillon is already in place:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/anttiohrling
hmm, almost:

Originally Posted by LinkedIn
Sailfish is a market changing, open OS and as a COO of Jolla Asia Ltd I have the best team to change the current mobile OS paradigm.
Or is this a mistake on the LinkedIn page?

Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Originally Posted by Casanunda View Post
hmm, almost:

Or is this a mistake on the LinkedIn page?
confirmed by Cybette: https://together.jolla.com/question/...-dillon-leave/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
It certainly doesn't look good, but let's hope the reasons are not serious. For me, it is the second worst news, after learning that a good part of the company belongs to a questionable russian businessman, few months ago.
It doesn't look good at all and quite frankly I think Jolla will be coming to an end (at least in its current form).

I am not naive enough to think that a startup should be generating a profit. However, if you're not making money, then you at least need to be showing some kind of breakthrough or growth that could potentially be exploited by a partner or sold. Unfortunately, we have not seen either for Jolla and if anything, it appears that interest is fading in the platform. Some will say the tablet kickstarter was a success, but the reality is that shifting 20k units is a drop in the ocean, and quite frankly I'd be surprised if Jolla broke even on the thing (eye watering device costs, VAT and kickstarter % cut will leave Jolla with very little). When you have 130 employees to pay, offices to maintain, tradeshows to attend, etc - selling through Kickstarter won't cut it.

With devices having failed, it's no surprise that Jolla have went to split the company. As an investment opportunity, a mobile hardware company is a road to nowhere and I cannot imagine any investor is going to want to be associated with it. I think Jolla as a hardware company will cease to exist with the existing HW company merely existing to satisfy warranties of existing Jolla devices. With HW jettisoned, I think Jolla will make one last attempt to seek a partner who will licence the OS. Who knows how that will go - but I definitely think they have a better chance at making that work than by trying to do HW as well.

btw - has anyone noticed that you can no longer buy a Jolla in the store?

The Following User Says Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
btw - has anyone noticed that you can no longer buy a Jolla in the store?
Shame, out of stock apparently. And I wanted another one, maybe

Tags
jolla, jolla 2