Active Topics

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ switzerland
Good point. The words "corrupt cache" came to my mind as well...

I'll try today either at another location with WPA2 or then setup a few more access points around the flat with similar settings to test

Edit: did not work. Cannot connect to any wpa2 network after the device has decided to give up on one

Last edited by ziller; 2010-01-31 at 21:00.

I'm having the same issue - I setup wi-fi connection at home and it worked. Then I tried to connect to wi-fi network at my client's office. No way. I've tried to delete and add again client's office connection and after 5-6 times trying different settings I got it working. ... Came home after that and couldn't connect to my home connection...!

The only way I got it working was to reboot the phone. There's clearly a problem with software.

I believe I found the bug report for this. From the sounds of it there is a fix coming at some point:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6416

The work-around for now seems to be "killall -9 eapd" as root.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iamsrp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by iamsrp View Post
I believe I found the bug report for this. From the sounds of it there is a fix coming at some point:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6416

The work-around for now seems to be "killall -9 eapd" as root.
Works a treat, thanks!!!
Didn't require a forced -9 either, at least this time round.

I have another issue, similar (but not exactly same) symptoms. This doesn't involve eap so I assume the killall workaround described above won't help.

I connect to a WEP network (note that this is a DMZ network, the WEP protection isn't for intrusion protection, it's just to avoid casual connects by passers-by. The WEP key is even public.)

After 1.1 I sometimes suddenly see that the little green symbol indicating that I'm online (gtalk etc.) goes red, with an exclamation mark or something. An xterm will show that DNS doesn't work (can't resolve hostnames). If I disconnect from the network and try to reconnect it won't work, and the icon indicating that it's trying will either flash forever or eventually pop up with a 'could not connect' message.

I can successfully resolve this every time by running the following script (as root, due to the ifconfig):

Code:
#!/bin/sh
ifconfig wlan0 down
killall osso-connectivity-ui-conndlgs
killall wlancond
It never happened in the past (pre-1.1, but I don't know for certain if it's related).

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Portugal
Is anyone still having problems with their WiFi? This seems to be the latest thread on the issue and the bug report quoted before was closed and the bug labelled as "fixed" on internal build of PR1.1/2.2009.51-1, then again on PR1.1.1/3.2010.02-8.

Oddest thing is that, since I received my N900 at around the time PR1.1.1 became available, both updates (1 -> 1.1 then 1.1 -> 1.1.1) were done, successfully, while the OS was essentially untouched.. Hadn't done anything with it.

There's also a mention of the osso-wlan package that apparently contains the fix, version 3.0.14+0m5, supposedly part of either 1.1 or 1.1.1, and yet dpkg reports my osso-wlan's version as 3.0.10.1+0m5.

Manually updating osso-wlan through apt only resulted in having maemo-launcher updated, for whatever reason, and subsequent attempts tell me there's nothing to upgrade.

Anyway.. Issue is hard to reproduce on demand. Wifi sometimes breaks when I change power-saving settings -- I'm forced to turn power-saving entirely off if I want to ssh into my N900 for any serious scripting but when I'm done, it makes more sense to enable it back.. Sometimes it breaks after that. Sometimes it breaks when coming to and fro cellular connections -- first noticed it when I tried fMMS app and the APN you setup for it.

Two main problems for me are: 1) it's not only a pain to reboot the phone, something that no *nix system I've ever had ever needed aside from kernel upgrades or serious problems, but due to issue 2 I'm stuck with doing two reboots, first the "soft" variety, then a "proper" one as root, or power cycling the device, which isn't nice.. 2) it locks me out of root priviledges, for some reason. Ie, when wifi hangs/breaks, I can't "root", not "sudo gainroot" nor sudo anything.. I can't log on as root nor execute any command that requires root, rendering most of the fixes posted both here and on the Bug Report useless for me.

Regarding issue #2: since it's very definitely not a good thing to just let a root shell idling in the background (though I'm fine with an Xterm and regular user priviledges running), I've never actually tried just letting a root xterm session in the background in case wifi broke. Will try and see if, next time wifi breaks, my having a root session open allows me to run commands as root. Otherwise, I'm back at square 1.

Apologize for the long rant, this is a really frustrating issue -- and I can confirm that when this happens, the battery just seems to go really fast.

EDIT: some background info..
- Router is a D-Link DIR-635 (no issues whatsoever with it, it's entirely unrelated to the problem as far as I can tell)
- connecting through WPA-Personal/PSK, WPA2-only mode/AES cypher w/ group key updating every hour.
- N900 was set to 100mW, trying 10mW now just for kicks
- seems to be more reliable if I set connections to automatically switch to WLAN whenever possible, seem to hit the bug far more regularly if I set it to "Ask every time" and need to activate it manually. But on automatic, even if I disconnect it manually and reconnect it (or allow it to do of its own volition) problem doesn't seem to occur as often (or at all)

Last edited by kerneld; 2010-04-16 at 16:10.

Hello! I've looked through this thread and am quite perplexed that everybody seems to be able to resolve this problem by rebooting their N900! Mine doesn't get fixed this way at all. I can connect to other wifi networks, like at work for example, but when I come home it cannot connect any longer. My first action to solve it was re-booting, but it didn't help. So for several day I am struggling with this and don't know what to do!
I appreciate that many people here are proficient in the programming issues, but could you please make it clearer to a simple user like myself how to type a command 'from root' in Xterminal that was suggested here (and what is it doing with the settings??)
My router is new Netgear WNR2000, the security setting is WEP.

How to run a command in Xterminal 'as root'????
Thank you!

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I have another issue, similar (but not exactly same) symptoms. This doesn't involve eap so I assume the killall workaround described above won't help.

I connect to a WEP network (note that this is a DMZ network, the WEP protection isn't for intrusion protection, it's just to avoid casual connects by passers-by. The WEP key is even public.)

After 1.1 I sometimes suddenly see that the little green symbol indicating that I'm online (gtalk etc.) goes red, with an exclamation mark or something. An xterm will show that DNS doesn't work (can't resolve hostnames). If I disconnect from the network and try to reconnect it won't work, and the icon indicating that it's trying will either flash forever or eventually pop up with a 'could not connect' message.

I can successfully resolve this every time by running the following script (as root, due to the ifconfig):

Code:
#!/bin/sh
ifconfig wlan0 down
killall osso-connectivity-ui-conndlgs
killall wlancond
It never happened in the past (pre-1.1, but I don't know for certain if it's related).

Ok, I've found out now how to run from 'root' but solutions suggested here do not work for me and I am still unable to connect to my home wifi... I am getting quite desperate and really annoyed...! grrrr!

When I'm on other networks I can connect fine but on my home network I get "Unable to connect to one or more accounts" which are my IM accounts, however, am connected to skype and can send receive messages. I used to be able to connect to the Internet or even update my Foreca weather widget but now I cannot. My firmware version is: 3.2010.02.003, this is the latest I believe... What to do, it's irritating. When I try to connect to the Internet I get, "MicroB can't find the server at (e.g www.google.com)" There's no firewall on my wireless router am using a Linksys by Cisco model no. WRT54G2. What's up with the N900? Anyone else experiencing this?

Skype as I said is connected. The update manager is failing, "Application list partially refreshed. Some catalogues unavailable. Check catalogue details." and all the catalogues are unavailable under details. Someone please help... or shall we have to wait for the update...?

Last edited by tirivaenim; 2010-04-18 at 10:16.

Tags
connect, connection, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, network, problem, wifi, wireless, wlan