After nearly a year since starting (entirely my fault), the first "stable" community SSU is now available in the maemo.org repository. Many thanks to all the testers who made this possible :-)

So, without further ado, see the wiki for installation instructions and changelog.

Now that this is out it frees up -testing for more experimental work. If anyone wants to contribute in any way, please ping me. Ways to participate include
  • Adopt a package, evaluate and apply existing patches to it.
  • Discover patches or other improvements that can be applied.
  • For the extra brave, follow the community-testing repository and report any issues found.
  • Maintain and improve the wiki pages.

For reference, the old thread is here and still contains a lot of useful information.

The Following 90 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Addison, akorvemaker, alephito, anidel, benny1967, blipnl, borghal, bstern, bunanson, Bundyo, buurmas, canoehead, cheve, codeMonkey, conny, cstryon, danramos, daperl, debudebu, deluxe, Den in USA, dkwatts, drangina, EIPI, elie-7, Fionn, gambol, GeraldKo, hawaii, heavyt, henningspruth, hordeman, hyno111, ifraaz, jabawok, jaccunio, Jaffa, jcharpak, jkq, jukey, kevloral, klinglerware, KristianW, Kroll, kudos1uk, Laughing Man, lcuk, lm2, luca, Mara, martinsmc, Mentalist Traceur, Mixu, MohammadAG, moja, monoceros, mrlanrat, mtron, niion, Nikem, offthefront, OVK, parejkoj, pelago, qole, rafaelsemx, Rob1n, russell_t, SD69, SilverHound, silvermountain, sjgadsby, slonopotamus, Snoshrk, Straycat, tgalati4, thersites, timoph, Tomaszd, tso, twaelti, urnass, vabgeo, Venemo, Vid, vkv.raju, wesgreen, WilliePre, ysss
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i guess one area to investigate would be how recent a version of modest is still compatible with diablo.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hillsboro, Nh.
Flashing went fine on both my 800 and 810. Many thanks.
I had flashed the interim "Testing" SSU already on both machines.
An iPod Touch 4th gen rides in my pocket too.

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
The .install file of the "stable" version looks like this:
Code:
[install]
catalogues = community-testing
package = community-ssu-enabler

[community-testing]
name = Community SSU
uri = http://repository.maemo.org/community/
components = free non-free
It would work but is confusing people which open it in a editor. I assume this would be the "correct" version:

Code:
[install]
catalogues = community

[community]
name = Community SSU
uri = http://repository.maemo.org/community/
components = free non-free
But that's peanuts

Thanks for making this happen!

Me on twitter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jukey For This Useful Post:
This sounds awesome! As someone new to this, would it be possible to share some of the benefits (aside from the short term goals) that someone could expect to get from using this?

Thank you in advance!

Originally Posted by jukey View Post
The .install file of the "stable" version looks like this:
Code:
[install]
catalogues = community-testing

[community-testing]
It would work but is confusing people which open it in a editor
True, the catalogue label can be confusing (it's just a label though so as long as the two red bits match it'll work). I don't have access to modify it, but I'll ping X-Fade to change it.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
This sounds awesome! As someone new to this, would it be possible to share some of the benefits (aside from the short term goals) that someone could expect to get from using this?

Thank you in advance!
Answered on earlier thread with the following:

If you are not affected by any of the bugs fixed (see changelog), then not much. The main enhancement so far is the screen rotation support (but you may already have this installed independently anyway). There are also some more minor enhancements to busybox and PDF viewer which make life a bit easier, probably not the highest priority for most people but they were for me, so there ;-)

Going forward, what would you like to see included (keeping in mind that non-free components are out of scope for obvious reasons)?
That changelog is here.

You can see generally the earlier thread, posts 544 through 547.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Sorry if this has been covered but I didn't see the answer in the wiki:

I'm currently running the OS2008 Community SSU 5.2010.32-3 testing package. Should I now un-install this and install the stable SSU pack?

Also, is the enabler package different than for the testing package - and if so can I now also uninstall the testing-enabler?

Thanks.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-08-26 at 19:55.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
If you are accepting suggestions on what should/could go into the next SSU I got one for you

Draglock (or the later version) - The ability to lock the widgets in place on the screen to avoid accidentally moving them around.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-08-26 at 20:56.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I'm currently running the OS2008 Community SSU 5.2010.32-3 testing package. Should I now un-install this and install the stable SSU pack?
No need, you can just upgrade from 32-3 to 33-1 via the application manager. If you prefer to track the stable version from now on you can just remove (or disable) the -testing repository from Tools -> Application catalogue.

Also, is the enabler package different than for the testing package
No, as both repositories are signed with the same key.

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
If you are accepting suggestions on what should/could go into the next SSU I got one for you

Draglock (or the later version) - The ability to lock the widgets in place on the screen to avoid accidentally moving them around.
AKA bug 2639, it's already in the queue :-)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:

Tags
diablo, maemo 4