Active Topics

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jyväskylä, Finland
English is not my native language, but I still need to say something about english as a language.

Few people here seem to have trouble understanding word upgradeable. Even thou Cnet Asia's article (http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/03/1...able-to-meego/) is somewhat classified as fairytail because of missing information about the source etc, we can still make some specultion here.

If you think about the word upgradeable, it does mean in IT, or at least in this case, that you can upgrade OS, still maintaining your installed programs intact in the device. Maemo NOT being upgradeable to Meego is a fact. Just like Windows Vista is NOT upgradeable to Ubuntu. Being NOT upgradeable does NOT mean that underlaying hardware is not compatible with this new OS, and it does not mean that N900 is not supported hardware platform for Meego. It does not say it will be officially supported hardware, but it does not either say it won't be.

So calm down and wait for something official. Please.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to loukkis For This Useful Post:
No one knows if the N900 will be getting Meego, yes it will be getting QT 4.6 (ie Meego compatibility for programmes).

A lot of people sat back and waited for the mooted universal portrait mode, MMS, apps from development houses etc but after 5 months.. where has that got us.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki
The N900 was released in some countries at the end of November 09 and most countries in December. We are now in the middle of March. That makes it under 4 months old. Why are people always saying it came out 5 or even 6 months ago?

It's still a child.

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by Beerduck View Post
The N900 was released in some countries at the end of November 09 and most countries in December. We are now in the middle of March. That makes it under 4 months old. Why are people always saying it came out 5 or even 6 months ago?

It's still a child.
How old has this child to be to get a working software store or even updates for long promised functions? 6 months? 1 year? 10 years?

This phone seems to divide people in the strangest ways. Everyone has their own things to complain about. I've read through this forum about a lot of things that doesn't work or works badly or annoys people but I find it funny that I haven't experienced any of these problems myself. Granted I've had this phone for only a little over 3 weeks now but I couldn't be happier with it.

How old has this child to be to get a working software store...
What exactly is is the problem? The Application manager works great and although Ovi Store hasn't got a lot of apps, it works fine.

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by Beerduck View Post
What exactly is is the problem? The Application manager works great and although Ovi Store hasn't got a lot of apps, it works fine.
Ovi Store ain't a real store at the moment, it's a bunch of test versions and proof of concepts but until now every approach to offer commercial applications resulted in a total desaster. So there is no store.

About portrait-mode, pretty well know even before it started shipping that the N900 wouldn't have portrait-mode so I find i strange how many user still nagging about it.

It was promoted as a landscape orientated screen to take advantage of full webpage layout so if we ever see portrait-mode you should really see that as a bonus feature.
Not as something that we were promised and didn't get.

Same with the OS, we bought the phone with Maemo 5 and Nokia fixed quite a few horrible bugs etc in 3 different FW upgrades and the majority are pretty damn happy with the phone.

Also no need to speculate, we WILL get new code for the N900 end of march, probaby a 1st draft aimed at the devels.

So sit back and relax and enjoy the phone!

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by Modell900 View Post
About portrait-mode, pretty well know even before it started shipping that the N900 wouldn't have portrait-mode so I find i strange how many user still nagging about it.

It was promoted as a landscape orientated screen to take advantage of full webpage layout so if we ever see portrait-mode you should really see that as a bonus feature.
Not as something that we were promised and didn't get.

Same with the OS, we bought the phone with Maemo 5 and Nokia fixed quite a few horrible bugs etc in 3 different FW upgrades and the majority are pretty damn happy with the phone.

Also no need to speculate, we WILL get new code for the N900 end of march, probaby a 1st draft aimed at the devels.

So sit back and relax and enjoy the phone!
Are you serious? Most users are happy with phone.... Hell no. Update at the end of March? No. Or was that the big upgrade I was supposed to get at the end of February? They haven't quite fixed buggy speakerphone, buggy voice volume that goes up and down, and firmware that should have been on phone and other things too numerous to list.

Now if I bought this phone today and never upgraded it would be a big piece of garbage. You know you have done something wrong when the phone needs to be updated within two weeks of delivery. We are screwed and nobody wants to see it. All this non-commitment from Nokia about anything is frustrating and we all know what happens with no definite answer. They might have serious issues with the leadership at that company. Releasing the n96 as a new phone when it should have been the n95 16gb. And then leaving the same 434mhz processor to boot.

Think about it. They cant just abandon this phone now because people will see how they did this and totally not buy the first meego device. About a month after the new hardware for meego is released they will say the n900 is not getting it and we should buy new phones. Leaving us to sell these on craigslist for 100 bucks. I said it before and I will say it again. They have lost a customer. How can you botch up the N96 before the N97 then after admitting mistakes botch up the N900? Somebody doesnt care over there. Thats all Im saying. These are the flagship phones for Nokia when they were released... Other than the n900 which consumers logically stated as the flagship phone since it is the most powerful phone they have in the lineup.

Sorry for long message. Excuse typos please

Last edited by gom4381; 2010-03-17 at 09:42.

It might not be perfect but then again nothing is. I'm still very happy about how it performs and what I can do with it. My last phone was an Android 2.0 phone and compared to that POS this thing is a godsend.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Merge this thread into the one about the CNET article? Or even delete it as the OP is essentially semantics (and by someone who doesn't speak English as a first language from an Asian website quoting Finnish people)
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.