Hello,

you have developed a great App so far and I use it every day at work. Because of that I miss 2 major features for it:

Is it possible to support the feature to enable/disable the Bluetooth by a rule?
How about providing a rule based on calendar events? I synchronize my N9 with Outlook for my meetings.

Regarding your ranges [Start/End Time] discussion:
How about creating a rules with priorities? Means define within the rule setup in the condition the priority e.g. Highest, High, Mid, Low, Lowest. This is the important priority for Start and End Time. Anyhow, I don't know your new implementation of Start/End Time. Maybe you have something similar implemented.

Thanks in advance

The Following User Says Thank You to JLo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by JLo View Post
Hello,

you have developed a great App so far and I use it every day at work.
Thanks. Always good to hear if people find use for the creation.

Is it possible to support the feature to enable/disable the Bluetooth by a rule?
That should be possible, since there is already an application in Nokia Store that switches Bluetooth on/off. I just didn't find the API to do it with a quick look. Maybe it can be done with DBus call. It should be relatively fast thing to implement, if anyone knows the API or DBus call to do it, let me know and it might get into the next version.

How about providing a rule based on calendar events? I synchronize my N9 with Outlook for my meetings.
That's been asked by few people, and I will implement it. But most likely I'll do WiFi based rules first since that's been asked more.

How about creating a rules with priorities? Means define within the rule setup in the condition the priority e.g. Highest, High, Mid, Low, Lowest. This is the important priority for Start and End Time. Anyhow, I don't know your new implementation of Start/End Time. Maybe you have something similar implemented.
Correct me if I misunderstood what priority means here, but if I understood correctly then that is implemented. The ordering of the rules defines their priority. The first rule has higher priority than the following rules. So for example if there is overlapping start/end times in different rules, the rule first in the list takes precedence.

And on unrelated note, I'm starting to again change my mind about cell id location rules. Their potential for energy efficient location matching is just too tempting that I think I will include it. For a program that is meant to always run on background, GPS rules are in my opinion out of the question and I'm sceptical even about cell id + geolocation using database. But I have to do some more experimenting before I make up my mind.

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Since it's such a long time without update, I'm putting out a beta of the upcoming version for those interested:

<removed>

This version has:
- end time
- default rule
- location conditions by cell id
- some UI tweaks
- (and much code refactoring that user doesn't care about)

I haven't done extensive testing yet, so use at your own risk etc. It should work as intended, but the UI needs still work and polishing. If you have installed ProfileMatic from Nokia Store, you must first uninstall before installing this version.

EDIT: oh forgot to mention, this version has setting flight mode support too. But you need open mode kernel and some tweaking to activate it. I can provide instructions if someone wants to try. I have not tested it myself.

The beta is back on, now that I have done more tests and refined the UI to be more practical. I'm really happy about the impact on battery life (practically no impact) using this kind of location rules. So try it out and let me know how it works for you in practice.

<removed obsolete beta>

I still need to do small tweaks to the UI etc. before proper release. After version is released, I'll start thinking what to include to the next release. There's been many good suggestions.

Last edited by ajalkane; 2012-01-23 at 16:45. Reason: Replaced with beta that does not request credentials forbidden by security platform

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
I am not able to install this beta.On the terminal it fails with:

Package Profilematic denied 'mce: eviceModeControl' -- origin '' does not allow it

Originally Posted by nokiac View Post
I am not able to install this beta.On the terminal it fails with:

Package Profilematic denied 'mce: eviceModeControl' -- origin '' does not allow it
Thanks... For me it did install even as it gave that warning. Maybe its something to do with having developer mode on or off.

Anyway, I build a new one without requesting that credential, so there should be no problems now:

<Removed obsolete beta>

If anyone else tried installing the earlier beta I'm interested to know if it worked or not. I'd like to have request for that credential for open mode kernel support, but of course not if it's existence causes trouble with stock kernel.

Last edited by ajalkane; 2012-01-23 at 16:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Thanks... For me it did install even as it gave that warning. Maybe its something to do with having developer mode on or off.

Anyway, I build a new one without requesting that credential, so there should be no problems now:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/arto.jalkanen...rmel-beta2.deb

If anyone else tried installing the earlier beta I'm interested to know if it worked or not. I'd like to have request for that credential for open mode kernel support, but of course not if it's existence causes trouble with stock kernel.
beta 2 was installed without any issues. I have set cell ids for my office (both 2G and 3G ) . I hope this works well. I say this as I am a big fan of Nokia Situations which I used a lot on my N8. Incidentally, I also used cell id based rules as I found them to be least battery consuming (practically zero impact!)

This is a great application to have on my N9, makes the transition for symbian to meego/harmattan easier.

Now Profilematic has almost all the features I need. But I still miss the ability (from Nokia situations) to turn off bluetooth after 10pm , and also modify the ringtone when I am at the office. I hope you have these lined up in your roadmap for the future.

I would be very happy to beta test any further updates.

Thank you very much for this great application.

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiac For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiac View Post
beta 2 was installed without any issues. I have set cell ids for my office (both 2G and 3G ) . I hope this works well. I say this as I am a big fan of Nokia Situations which I used a lot on my N8. Incidentally, I also used cell id based rules as I found them to be least battery consuming (practically zero impact!)
Thanks for testing. Please let me know how it goes, good and bad. I'm curious how Nokia Situations handled input of cell ids, as I've never used it (haven't had a phone that could run it)?

Now Profilematic has almost all the features I need. But I still miss the ability (from Nokia situations) to turn off bluetooth after 10pm , and also modify the ringtone when I am at the office. I hope you have these lined up in your roadmap for the future.
Supporting Bluetooth will come if I can figure out a way to turn it on/off. I'm not sure about changing ringtones. I'll add it to the list of things to do, but I don't think I can do it anytime soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Thanks for testing. Please let me know how it goes, good and bad. I'm curious how Nokia Situations handled input of cell ids, as I've never used it (haven't had a phone that could run it)?

Supporting Bluetooth will come if I can figure out a way to turn it on/off. I'm not sure about changing ringtones. I'll add it to the list of things to do, but I don't think I can do it anytime soon.

Situations handles cell ID inputs same as you do, you click on the cell ID based rule option and it starts recording cell ids. Only difference it, it does not show the actual cell ids recorded(as it is in profilematic), it only shows the total number of cell ids recorded.

Also, I please urge you to look into ringtones and bluetooth, it will really make the app complete

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiac For This Useful Post:
I have submitted version 1.2.0 of ProfileMatic to Nokia Store. Compared to the beta there came some changes as well.

Here's what's new compared to 1.1.0:

- Location conditions based on cell tower ids
- End time for condition
- Restore previous profile option
- Default rule
- UI/UX improvements

Nokia Store's slow QA process frustrates me, so I will publish here again beta version for feedback once functionality is present and only small polish remains.

I'm planning the next version to have these features:

- Rule activating by WiFi condition
- BlueTooth on/off action
- (possibly action to run a script)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Would it be possible to add support for headphones? Meaning that when headphones are attached the profile would change to "beep" and when the headphones are removed the profile would change back to "ringing".

It is very annoying that when I'm in a bus listening to music through the headphones the phone still uses the phones speakers to play the ringtone and the whole bus gets to hear my great ringtones (at least I haven't found any way to disable the speaker when headphones are attached). I always have to remember to select the silent profile and afterwards select the ringing profile.

This way I could ignore the whole speaker issue