Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by qole View Post
The plan is month-to-month with no extra fees (no supposed "911 fee" etc), only taxes (PST/GST). Honestly, Fido is the cheapest plan with real data (you can even make poor-quality Skype calls over it) in Canada right now.
Considering the advantages over Speakout, it seems definitely worth the extra $10 or so it would cost me (based on my past usage).

Does Fido provide an email-to-SMS address? That's another thing Speakout doesn't. If they do, then I'm definitely sold.

TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I have no idea about email-to-SMS, since I have sent a grand total of 8 SMS messages in my entire life. The N900 has all of the IM protocols available, and I use those.

Well I just switched over to Fido month-to-month with the 500mb data & I'm pretty happy so far. I did find out the email-to-SMS adress I was looking for from this Wikipedia page (#@fido.ca), but unfortunately you get the "you must send a reply to get the actual message" BS, so it's not at all useful for what I had in mind.

I was formerly using SMS as a make-shift emergency paging system from the office. Any of the systems I monitor would send me an SMS if anything was down & I'd turn my phone on silent @ night for anything except SMS. Not perfect, but it worked. So I guess now the systems can't wake me in the middle of the night anymore. Oh well .

Interestingly I found after reading this Wikipedia page that there is also a way to send an email message via SMS. It works but I don't see what I'd ever use it for, but hey, it's interesting .

I still have some confusion I'll have to clear up with Fido about their plans. I signed up for the $20 month-to-month instead of the $15 'cause it had unlimited evenings & weekends, but the sales clerk pointed out that it would cost $10/month to get voice mail & call display (the only two things out of that package I want). That's $25/month. Well, if I were to instead use the $19/month prepaid plan which has the same day-time minutes & includes 300 minutes e/w (more than enough for me), that includes the two above addons, so I'd be $6/month ahead . The only two things I find funny is that it shows the prepaid plan $6 more if I wanted automatic billing & it doesn't list the data plans as addons, so it may be that I'm already as good as it's going to get.

Of course customer service is closed for the evening, so I'll have to make time to call clear this up tomorrow.

TX
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Originally Posted by grog View Post
I did find out the email-to-SMS adress I was looking for from this Wikipedia page (#@fido.ca), but unfortunately you get the "you must send a reply to get the actual message" BS, so it's not at all useful for what I had in mind.

I was formerly using SMS as a make-shift emergency paging system from the office. Any of the systems I monitor would send me an SMS if anything was down & I'd turn my phone on silent @ night for anything except SMS. Not perfect, but it worked. So I guess now the systems can't wake me in the middle of the night anymore. Oh well .
Fido.ca/emailtotext. It costs $5/month to receive the message w/o having to respond. mmm? Well, if work wants to pay for my service, I'd consider it .

TX

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
grog: as far as I'm aware, you can't get data add-on with prepaid. Otherwise I would have gone that route too, since I almost never use the mobile phone.

What about having your servers send you messages via e-mail, Jabber or GTalk? Then you could have your N900 alert you when one of those comes in, instead of SMS. The best thing about the N900 is that it can be on the 'Net 24/7.

I haven't tried it yet, but couldn't Tweakr be used for that purpose (selective notification)?

grog: as far as I'm aware, you can't get data add-on with prepaid. Otherwise I would have gone that route too, since I almost never use the mobile phone.
I'm assuming that's the case. I haven't had time to call to confirm it.

I haven't tried it yet, but couldn't Tweakr be used for that purpose (selective notification)?
I already use Tweakr for just that kind of thing. I've got several profiles set up - daytime, nighttime, quiet, etc. there's different settings for email, SMS, email & ring tune & volume.

What about having your servers send you messages via e-mail, Jabber or GTalk? Then you could have your N900 alert you when one of those comes in, instead of SMS. The best thing about the N900 is that it can be on the 'Net 24/7.
That's an interesting idea. I've never played with sending IM from the command-line. Any idea what's involved?

TX

Last edited by grog; 2010-04-13 at 20:12.

That's an interesting idea. I've never played with sending IM from the command-line. Any idea what's involved?
I've done little digging & came up with a Pidgin of all things , which is available for Solaris (our server's OS). It seems the hardest thing form here would be to convince our admin's to install it for me .

Anyway, I think I've gotten us far enough off topic. I'll pick this up in other threads if I get ambitious enough. Thanks for the help.

Even cheaper is via Cogenco One Zone_High Speed Internet
http://www.onezone.ca/

Limited coverage in downtown toronto - but the cost is $5 per month unlimited wifi

You need to change your useragent to iphone

1) install User Agent Switcher
2) Change user agent to something like
| Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C6 Safari/419.3 |
3) Sign up (page is a bit flaky)
4) Browse!

I am currently using Fido, they're the cheapest plan I know of.

Set-up fees: $35 for the SIM, $35 to set it up, plus taxes, comes to about $80 just to start to use the service on the N900.

Monthly fees: I get the cheapest voice plan, 50 minutes, 50 SMS, for $15. I then add-on 500MB of data for $25.

After taxes, I pay about $45 per month. This gives me full Internet on the N900. I have yet to ever use more than 250 MB in a month.

At $45 per month Wind Mobile is the same or cheaper if its available for you

Wind
$15 50 Canada/U.S. texts, 100 minutes calls prov wide
$30 unlimited data (5 GB)

Plus they give you $150 setup

TX
Here is a perl script to send a Jabber message (gmail/facebook)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2074991/Ho...ages-to-jabber

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthony_barker For This Useful Post: