Active Topics

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by qole View Post
joshua.maverick:

There's no compass.

Anyone who said otherwise was not a trustworthy source, so, in the absence of any trustworthy information, they're wrong. And if there is, Nokia hasn't told anyone about it, nor has it turned up in any of the source code released by Nokia so far. If the N900 had a compass, why would Nokia keep it a secret?

Why do you keep asking?
Well it could be the Easter egg just like the fm receiver which is confirmed and without being anywhere in the specs.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@qole: cool. so whatever konttori answers would be a baseline and we can expect something better on the final product

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
What good is a piece of high-end technology without a feature that dates back to the middle ages circa 200 BC????
They had digital compasses in 200BC? They had digital anything that time ??

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
What good is a piece of high-end technology without a feature that dates back to the middle ages circa 200 BC????
Yeah. Totally sucks. And it can't even light a fire (exploding batteries excl), which is a technology that dates back hundreds of thousands of years !

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
And it can't even light a fire (exploding batteries excl)
Oh right, I guess the iPhone fans will point out that their devices have exploding batteries. Can the N900 do that?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
I can testify that you get easily more than 2 days with device idle (and no open app misbehaving)
Oh, my current tablet will last forever turned off and hidden in a drawer, but that's not very useful

Originally Posted by konttori View Post
Screen is a drainer, so all use consumes a lot, but it easily lasts a full working day of normal use.
If for "normal use" you mean keeping it your pocket waiting for incoming calls, I could believe it.
Actually using it, that's another matter.

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
joshua.maverick:

There's no compass.

Anyone who said otherwise was not a trustworthy source, so, in the absence of any trustworthy information, they're wrong. And if there is, Nokia hasn't told anyone about it, nor has it turned up in any of the source code released by Nokia so far. If the N900 had a compass, why would Nokia keep it a secret?

Why do you keep asking?
I asked again, because I did not receive any confirmation. I didn't mean to upset you.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Oh right, I guess the iPhone fans will point out that their devices have exploding batteries. Can the N900 do that?
You know those mortars you have to bump to stone and then throw as if its a grenade? They inspired Apple design team...

They were used for entirely different purposes. There are 2 main usage patterns: better navigation on map (this was far more important in ancient times, but you could use heavenly bodies for same purpose, as the stargazers in pacific ocean have done for millenia) and 2: augmented reality. By the time the latter takes off we're a year further.

For if what you say is true there must be many crappy high-end technologies then because last time I checked almost no smartphone, netbook, laptop, digicam (slr), blahblah etc etc blahblah has digital compass. Hmmm, maybe its a bit overrated.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
You know those mortars you have to bump to stone and then throw as if its a grenade? They inspired Apple design team...

They were used for entirely different purposes. There are 2 main usage patterns: better navigation on map (this was far more important in ancient times, but you could use heavenly bodies for same purpose, as the stargazers in pacific ocean have done for millenia) and 2: augmented reality. By the time the latter takes off we're a year further.

For if what you say is true there must be many crappy high-end technologies then because last time I checked almost no smartphone, netbook, laptop, digicam (slr), blahblah etc etc blahblah has digital compass. Hmmm, maybe its a bit overrated.
G1 has one - its a nice novelty - not much in the way of real world use though. GPS substitutes for it most times

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
It's called sarcasm, people.

I forget that a lot of people can't read sarcasm.

Sorry.
Welcome to the Internet! Smileys are useful on the Internet to explain (con)text. A useful smiley to denote sarcasm is: