Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Alternate title to thread: "Friends don't let friends pull it out prematurely (to eject or not to eject?)"

FULL STORY:

I connected my n900 to my desktop computer via 'mass storage mode' and the computer recognized the "n900" and my memory card. I copy pasted a folder of music from my n900 (go go gadget-n900!) to my desktop computer...

Then I went to properly eject the mass storage device (im still thinking about making a separate thread about n900, mass storage mode, and ejecting it properly, hence the alternate title above). So I've ejected my n900 and I the desktop computer tells me its disconnected (keep reading for proof).

Ok cool, everything is alright and it's kosher to pull out right? Well N900 doesn't seem to think so. When I click on the time at the top of the screen to bring down all the info about profiles and date and time, etc... (what do you guys call that menu?) n900 thinks its still in mass storage mode, it DOESNT say 'usb charging only'...

So while keeping the usb cable plugged in (and still without access to my files from n900 and memory card), I take the above screenshot. And then I slide open the camera lens to take a picture of my desktop computer monitor to show that it is telling me that I don't have the n900 connected via usb anymore. When I try to take the picture I get a message saying something along the lines of "no access to memory". So at this point I decide to unplug it, (n900 still thinks its in mass storage mode) and take my picture successfully...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29629961@N03/4473899423/

Now when I go to click on that screenshot of the N900 claiming to still be in mass storage mode (bottom left pic in gallery)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29629961@N03/4473903335/

this happens...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29629961@N03/4474681464/

And then a few seconds later it's disappeared. That imagine is gone, nowhere to be found. Why/where did it go?

RECAP:

Question #1
-Computer thinks N900 is ejected, but N900 thinks N900 is still in mass storage mode. Why?

Question #2
-What the heck happened to my screenshot I took while N900 and memory card where being occupied by mass storage mode?

Question #3
-Why can't I access any files on my n900 FROM my n900 while in mass storage mode? I thought my n96 allowed me to do this,

The Following User Says Thank You to SAABoy For This Useful Post:
#1, usb cable is still plugged in
#2, maybe on the mount point where the mount should be
#3, you want two computers writing to the same disk storage at the same time? data corruption?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
#1, usb cable is still plugged in
#2, maybe on the mount point where the mount should be
#3, you want two computers writing to the same disk storage at the same time? data corruption?
#1 right, but when if i plug in the cable and dont select 'mass storage' or 'pc suite' thengthe n900 will tell me 'usb charging only' and i can click on that button and from there select again one of the two options listed... but if i go to mass storage mode and then eject from the desktop computer, then N900 still says usb tranfer cable whatever mode and i cant click on it or change it or anything... is that normal?

#2 what does that mean?

#3 Ok I can live with that... maybe I was imagining the n96 situation...

thanks for the reply...

Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
#1 right, but when if i plug in the cable and dont select 'mass storage' or 'pc suite' thengthe n900 will tell me 'usb charging only' and i can click on that button and from there select again one of the two options listed... but if i go to mass storage mode and then eject from the desktop computer, then N900 still says usb tranfer cable whatever mode and i cant click on it or change it or anything... is that normal?

#2 what does that mean?

thanks for the reply...
#1 I read in the manual somewhere that once you choose a mode you can't change it without reconnecting, but if you start in charge only you can change it to mass media/pc suite while still connected

#2 Linux mounts the mass storage drive on a folder, but the folder still exists in the 2Gb partition as a normal folder when it is not mounted, so the file might be in that folder.
For example;
/home/user/MyDocs is a folder on the 2Gb filesystem (/home is on rootfs and then the 2Gb drive is mounted on /home)
you can save files in /home/user/MyDocs and they will take up space on the 2Gb filesystem, but when the 32Gb drive is mounted (which is done automatically at boot time), it's mounted on /home/user/MyDocs, so now /home/user/MyDocs no longer is on the 2Gb filesystem - it now points to the 32Gb drive

One way to check this would be to go back into mass storage mode, then get to the command prompt and cd /home/user/MyDocs to see if the image is there. If it is I suggest you delete/move it out and put it back once you are back in normal operation again.

The Following User Says Thank You to benh_n900 For This Useful Post:
For #3, you might want to set up ssh on the N900 and WinSCP on your PC, then you can do these tasks wirelessly, even better!

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
Alternate title to thread: "Friends don't let friends pull it out prematurely (to eject or not to eject?)"
Anybody else thought of something else when they first read this? Or am I the only one with dirty mind?

For #3, you might want to set up ssh on the N900 and WinSCP on your PC, then you can do these tasks wirelessly, even better!
I am interested, please go on. How do I do this, and what exactly does it allow me to do?

Maybe someone else can teach me how to do this?

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
oh search is a wonderful thing
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=winscp

For my next trick i will make you a cup of tea........ (Only kidding..... just in case.....)
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
oh search is a wonderful thing
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=winscp

For my next trick i will make you a cup of tea........ (Only kidding..... just in case.....)
Thank you for doing that for me...