Closed Thread
Posts: 125 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I'm quite disappointed by responses given to my question - not the fact that CSSU devs insist on using HAM, that's ok - rather by the fact, that I kindly asked *technical* information about what exactly HAM does differently. freemangordon was closest to provide satisfying answer - talking about "firmware upgrade" - but, still, it's far from pointing out actual differences ("focused on firmware upgrade" may mean everything and nothing).
okay here's what ham does over apt / fapman:
It does the reboot properly after the upgrade
It locks the device into flight mode while updating
It turns off most system processes and the desktop to avoid conflicts when deploying the update

It simply does a System upgrade in a safe way, whilst apt and fapman run it in a way which is suited for application upgrades but not exactly for system upgrades which possibly flash camera firmware or do similar risky tasks.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to merlin1991 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by kralde View Post
This question is probably already answered...so I'm so sorry.

The stable and testing versions have diferences?
Indeed it seems this has been answered, nevertheless: Testing is "bleeding edge" compared to Stable that may and actually will have some bits - like nicocam - missing as they aren't considered stable yet.
Basically S is always like an older version of T, for now S is based on CSSU 16.8 with some problematic things omitted, while in Tmaemo1 same things we tried to get them fixed, eventually those fixes will propagate to S.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by merlin1991 View Post
It turns off most system processes and the desktop to avoid conflicts when deploying the update

It simply does a System upgrade in a safe way, whilst apt and fapman run it in a way which is suited for application upgrades but not exactly for system upgrades which possibly flash camera firmware or do similar risky tasks.
having updated using fam yesterday and seeing no problems on my n900 i must ask , should i expect any problems ? taking joerg_rw posts onboard i will in future use ham but having used fam this time am a bit worried something may go wrong ?

Last edited by moepda; 2011-11-20 at 18:04. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by merlin1991 View Post

Thanks, it is *exactly* what I asked about. Sorry if other posts sounded rude, but sometimes, even non-coders, "dumb" users require strictly "rationale" answer, not only depending on trust to answering ones (despite fact, that about such matters, I trust CSSU developers as a whole - and joerg_rw as individual - fully). Especially point 3 (turning of system processes) seems important IMO.

So again, thanks for explaining, and - of course - I'll proceed with HAM on next update.

Peace

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Updated through HAM, left the phone, some minutes later: I had to enter lockcode and PIN then it was booted in CSSU-T. Worked as it should

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Updated through HAM, left the phone, some minutes later: I had to enter lockcode and PIN then it was booted in CSSU-T. Worked as it should
second that

is there any changelog?

The Following User Says Thank You to sirpaul For This Useful Post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=219
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by sirpaul View Post
second that

is there any changelog?
I guess merlin1991 will update the changelog shortly (or maybe even MohammadAG will do), for now there's MohammadAG's announcement post as linked above.

BTW even when installation of the certman stuff somehow fails there's no impending doom in that, it's a mere minor display_info issue, most users won't ever notice the difference.

Doom pending in using fapman or apt to do the update is unclear, seems both are more prone to mess with package management state of some packages, so you might more likely run into missing or wrong-version pkgs on next update - though all that is anecdotal. Fact is it's simply not supported, tested, or otherwise encouraged by CSSU team, and for sure doesn't help to improve the quality of Testing releases, unless you actually analyze what exactly your acme appmanager does and if it's to be considered safe so it can get included to officially supported methods for update. For this to do you first need to understand what HAM does, so you can compare and evaluate ;-)

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
I have been using it for about a week now, with both stock kernel and my own kernel build (different from everyone else), and everything works fine.
Thumbs up
Thanks for info!

joerg_rw wrote that we need more testers before including into CSSU: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=4239

Updated through HAM, left the phone, some minutes later: I had to enter PIN then it was booted in CSSU-T. Worked as it should. Thanks for all the work you've put into this, guys. It's very much appreciated.

Closed Thread

Tags
community ssu, f**k nokia, fremantle, maemo 5, nokia-who?, portrait mode, rotate, task-switcher, update, upgrade