Carphone Warehouse have just started selling the Huawei Ascend Y300 at £60 so I thought I'd treat myself seeing as they're as cheap as chips.

It really doesn't feel like the other budget Androids I've used, it's unbelievably good. Screen transitions are really smooth and slick, everything feels nice and snappy and it doesn't feel cheap and flimsy either.

Doesn't bode well for the Ashas.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Yes, Huawei's are nice - mate has the original Honour.

So, what have we got here?
Is this a possible stop-gap to take the workload off my poor old creaking N900 until the Jollas touch down?
Y300 looks an impressive device for it's price point x2 CPU, 5mp camera, 32GB memory card support........ BUT only 512MB of internal memory, from what I've read. Any chance that last bit could be a misprint?
Networks are almost giving them away. £11 - £13 per month on contract. Despite being Android (yes I know, "STFU, and stop dissing Android). But it seems silly not to take advantage of such a tempting offer.

Hmmmm.

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
So, what have we got here?
Is this a possible stop-gap to take the workload off my poor old creaking N900 until the Jollas touch down?
Y300 looks an impressive device for it's price point x2 CPU, 5mp camera, 32GB memory card support........
So, support for completely standard SDHC card has become something of a feat, lately? I kinda felt like getting back into MP3's from early 00' upon reading it. Franky, I would be both surprised and amused, if something wouldn't support SDXC cards (but, in craproid world, everything is possible, if they removed ad-hoc wifi, why not something else, equally random).

BUT only 512MB of internal memory, from what I've read. Any chance that last bit could be a misprint?
I wouldn't count on that. They have to be cheap somewhere

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-06-10 at 20:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I'm not suggesting support for 32GB MicroSD is a breakthrough by any means, the fact that such a 'Cheap as Chips' device has got one is a plus.

And yeah 512MB was a bit low so I did a bit more research and GSMArena says it's actually 4GB with 512MB RAM, not the 512MB that CPW say it has.

Just awaiting an indepth review from switch-hitter with regards to hackability as in replacing the O/S with something else like Ubuntu or something.

Not expecting a hell of a lot though.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
And yeah 512MB was a bit low so I did a bit more research and GSMArena says it's actually 4GB with 512MB RAM, not the 512MB that CPW say it has.
Yes, 4GB & 512MB of RAM. Only 1.2 of that 4GB is available for you to use though.

Just awaiting an indepth review from switch-hitter with regards to hackability as in replacing the O/S with something else like Ubuntu or something.

Not expecting a hell of a lot though.
I just replaced Ubuntu with #! on my laptop. I'm losing enthusiasm for the idea of Ubuntu on my phone.

The Huawei is already very nice as it is, if I can get CherryPy running on it (which looks like it should be easy) the incentive to hack will be very low.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
I simply can't fathom why the need for the Snapdragon 200 chipset.
At max power, its 4-cores running at 1GHz frequency.

For a phone with only a WVGA resolution its overkill. Otherwise, its severely undervalued with its 512MB RAM. This is Android afterall.

In conclusion, I wouldn't mind seeing more of these great devices at this price point which is so much superior to Symbian, Asha, FirefoxOS and WP7.8 devices, in my honest opinion.

I'm flattered

Decided to go for it's bigger brother, the G510 16GB + 1GB sounded far better than the Y300. Only costing me an extra £3 on the contract too.
Gonna take some getting used to the BIG slab feel after walking around with the N900 day in - day out. Not used Android for some time so getting used to that again.
Don't think I'll dump the N900 anytime soon, doing a lot of comparisons at the mo and I can honestly say at this stage (although it's early) I'll definitely miss the N900 if I was to sell it on.
Don't think I'll use the G510 as much as the N900 TBH, use it a lot at work.

The lack of support for media formats has already reared it's ugly head, got my old N900 8GB memory card in it and can't play any of the videos on there, so that's another reason for hanging on to "The Beast".

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
...no one uses stock audioplayers.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
...no one uses stock audioplayers.
I see VLC for Android is in beta