Notices

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick question...
Any updates? Will it be ported to Mer?
Is it safe to disable-uninstall-purge recaller and use Orechiette for phone-calls recording? Which sound-recording-and-storage format would you recommend?
Would recaller and Orechiette fight against each other if both had phone-call recording enabled at the same time?
How likely is it that an application could be devised to perform speech recognition on the incoming voice and display results on screen (possibly log them into file for later perusal), while simultaneously using text-to-speech conversion as sound source instead of microphone? I am assuming that speech recognition becomes easier when caller-number allows you to identify the caller, and use a particular voice-pattern for recognition, instead of trying to listen to an unknown person.
Best wishes. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Some folks have talked about having separate controls for the Mic fader versus the system Volume. Rather than making this an Orecchiette feature, this seems like a job for a system daemon similar to camkeyd. The idea is you hold keys down, and press the rocker to adjust specific faders, rather than just the "System Volume" for the currently active audio output device. Proposed key + rocker combos (that hopefully don't interfere with other Maemo apps):

Space + Rocker (or) Ctrl + Rocker:
Change the Recording volume.

Up Arrow + Rocker (or) Shift + Rocker:
Change the Headphone volume.

Down Arrow + Rocker (or) Alt/Blue + Rocker:
Change the Bluetooth volume.

Up Arrow + Down Arrow + Rocker (or) Shift + Alt/Blue + Rocker: Change the System Volume no matter what modal function (browser zoom for example) is assigned to the rocker

It would be nice to have the D-Bus "gold stripe" message reflect which fader you were adjusting at any point in time, even when just "using the rocker" without anything else.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wumpwoast For This Useful Post:
I just silently hope, that Copernicus is just enjoying holidays and not disappeared for any reason. I feel a little guilty, that last post before he "vanished" was my:

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Man, you have been away for few days. With some programs, we're happy to see bugfixes (let alone features) once for every few months (or years, see TxPad).

Get a break, no need to apologize! You're still developing in awesome rate.

While it was meant as a way to express my gratitude for a update-every-few-days scheme Copernicus made us used to, I'm still feel uneasy about Copernicus stopping his super-activity just after that Forgive, Maemo!
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Leave the desk take a deep breath and meditate pls
this post after yours .....sssssssss

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Information gathered from maemo.org website:
Copernicus: Last Activity: 07-25-13 05:25
Name: John Pietrzak
Nothing pointing towards unusual circumstances, danger, fire or floods...
Hopefully, we will hear from him soon - knock on the wood.
Best wishes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
MP3 recording can be added on this app? i mean mp3 option with aac nd wav

The Following User Says Thank You to seanmcken For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Information gathered from maemo.org website:
Copernicus: Last Activity: 07-25-13 05:25
Name: John Pietrzak
Nothing pointing towards unusual circumstances, danger, fire or floods...
Hopefully, we will hear from him soon - knock on the wood.
Hello! No, nothing unusual, I'm afraid; I'm one of many folks who have periods of "up" and "down" moods. Whenever I hit a "down" patch, it takes a while before I can get myself back to getting things done again.

Many apologies to everybody for being away so long, I'll hopefully start getting some updates back out again soon...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by seanmcken View Post
MP3 recording can be added on this app? i mean mp3 option with aac nd wav
I had thought it would be easy to do, before I started working on Orecchiette. However, it has problems -- for one, compressing audio into mp3 is apparently a lot more computationally intensive than other audio storage formats; I'd prefer not to load down the device too much while using it as a phone as well. For another, I don't recall even finding an mp3 encoder in the list of available Gstreamer plugins for the N900. (I'm using Gstreamer for all the audio I/O in Orecchiette.)

I'll take another look, but I doubt it'll be possible.

(Interestingly, it looks like the Android platform only officially supports encoding audio into AAC and WAV as well. Dunno about iPhone or WP.)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Hello! No, nothing unusual, I'm afraid; I'm one of many folks who have periods of "up" and "down" moods. Whenever I hit a "down" patch, it takes a while before I can get myself back to getting things done again.

Many apologies to everybody for being away so long, I'll hopefully start getting some updates back out again soon...
no worries folks ....its up and running now

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Any updates?
I am quite embarrassed that I disappeared before adding the much-requested filename management to the app, so I'm hoping to get an update out with that. But no timeline on when that will happen yet.

Will it be ported to Mer?
I'd love to do it, but I've never ported anything to Mer yet. (I haven't even tried running Mer yet...)

Is it safe to disable-uninstall-purge recaller and use Orechiette for phone-calls recording?
Orecchiette is still very early work! So, I can make no guarantees of how well it will do as an everyday app...

Which sound-recording-and-storage format would you recommend?
I am not an audiophile myself, so I can't say what the best format would be. What I can say, however, is that compressing audio uses up CPU, and I get kinda worried about using a lot of CPU while also on a live phone call. "WAV" format shouldn't be doing any compression of the data, so I normally use that...

Would recaller and Orechiette fight against each other if both had phone-call recording enabled at the same time?
Surprisingly enough, no; we're both using Gstreamer for audio I/O, and Gstreamer is a wonderfully powerful and flexible system. Both should be able to listen to the same Gstreamer source at the same time without stepping on each other's toes.

That said, however, Gstreamer is also extremely CPU-intensive, and I suspect trying to use both apps at once would severely overload the device.

How likely is it that an application could be devised to perform speech recognition on the incoming voice and display results on screen (possibly log them into file for later perusal), while simultaneously using text-to-speech conversion as sound source instead of microphone?
Ah... Wow. I wouldn't want to guess. This sounds way beyond anything I'd be able to cobble together.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, pasta, recording