Notices

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
This looks really good and a boon to the n900 - especially if an off-line option becomes available. "Photo-translator alpha" from OVI although promising, is buggy and needs one to wait each time as it reconstitutes image icons.

Thanks to dev for effort!

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
Observation of user interface from watching the video:

Current flow:
Click Send>Translating label>Done label>Click Result>Result screen

Why not have the UI go directly to the Result screen without user input when Translating is complete?
Click Send>Translating label>Result screen

This would increase speed & reduce user frustration from not noticing that translating was done and results could have been seen sooner.
Implemented your suggestion.

Also fixed the problem with the application breaking the normal camera app after use.

New version is uploaded.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mhsueh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Would it be possible for you to add an 'export text' to text file feature?

I've been looking for some sort of OCR software so I can take a photo of a document and edit, and then email the text; your app can obviously do the OCR side, so presumably it wouldn't take much to implement

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zifis View Post
It works until I crop to the translation area but when i tap on "send" it crashes...

I just realized it crashes when the phone is not connected to the internet instead of requesting connection.

It also crashed during editing of badly captured letters
Thanks for the feedback. Just uploaded a fix for crashing on sending without an internet connection. The manual correction mode might still be a bit rough, especially for crops that extend beyond image. Will look into it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhsueh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Great app!

Option to load an image file, as alternative to take a photograph would be fantabulous.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
This looks completely marvellous! It makes me proud belonging to this community.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
I have a few suggestions to improve this great application:

1. Allow dictionaries download (trasnlation available offline) - i believe many people will use this application while travelling, which means in most cases won't have internet connection.

2. Allow translation from a previously captured image.

3. Allow for manual image correction before the send for translation - sometimes it says there was no text recognized after taking a photo - especially if the photograph is not black text on white page.

Great work

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New delhi, India
I am not able to find this app in the repositories and also nowhere on the internet.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
I made some jaws drop with your app! Excellent work! Thank you very much

Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
I'm also not seeing it :S I have all the repo's enabled. It was there earlier too! Bleh.