Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Originally Posted by xeres View Post
I bought mine in late April 2010, it pulled off on 31 October. I sent it for "repair" on 1 Nov; arrived the 5th (Friday), NokiaUSA did a near-immediate turn around on sending a new device (shipped on Tuesday). It arrived on Friday (yesterday).

I've already Dremel-ed the nibs on my USB cables and bought an external charger and second battery.
Where are you located? I sent mine in the 9th it arrived the 11th and the status is still listed as in queue.

Picked up my replacement n900 this morning at the post office. The note in the box said my original unit was "beyond repair" or something like that so they were sending me a new unit. It came with a new back and stylus included. I'm impressed with how quickly Nokia sent the replacement. I had dropped my old phone off at the UPS store on the evening of Nov. 4 and USPS had the replacement for me yesterday (Nov. 15).

The connector on the new n900 looks exactly the same as the old one (before it broke). I'm trying to decide if I want to try to squirt some epoxy around the micro-USB connector or something like that in addition to altering the plugs.

To send the phone for repair, do i need to have receipts and such?
All I have is the phone and the box, but iam having charge issues. Can someone shed some light on this?

Thank You

Originally Posted by krnchonnom View Post
To send the phone for repair, do i need to have receipts and such?
All I have is the phone and the box, but iam having charge issues. Can someone shed some light on this?

Thank You
I did not need my receipt for mine. Bear in mind though that at the time I sent mine in for repairs the N900 had been out only about 10 months so it was clear for all (even a scatter brain company like Nokia) to see I was within the warranty period. I think the N900 was released around this time last year so would suggest you get in touch with them ASAP if you don't have a receipt.

When I called Nokia Care, all they needed was my phone IMEI and my address for shipping. All I had to do was tell them that the usb port broke during normal use (They seemed to know that this was a common problem). Overall, it was a pleasant experience aside from being without my phone for a little over a week.

Make sure you do a full backup to memory card if you have any battery power left as it is likely they will just send you a new phone.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the warranty? Since it's a new phone is it extended for a year or does it expire when the old phone's warranty does.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by fidel cashlow View Post
Does anyone know what the deal is with the warranty? Since it's a new phone is it extended for a year or does it expire when the old phone's warranty does.
The normal process is for it to expire when the old phone's would (this is the same whether it's a brand new phone you got as a replacement, or a reconditioned one).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
I gave my N900 to warranty people after my cat landed on charger cable and broke the charger, the thing where charger is put in got ripped out completely, they said it will be sent to Finland for fixing and bla bla bla. Could I hope for a new phone? Cause mine had some scratches on display.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2008 @ London
My N900 USB port has died! I am furios. I call for a re-poll, just after i voted my charger started playing up and now I cant charge at all. Nokia phones are generaly very hardwaring; I manage to drop mines constantly without anything happening but on many different models (5220, 5800, 6300, n900) I have had the same problem... The charging port eventualy goes kaput and your left holding a shiny dead phone.

This needs fixing. I wish nokia had those magnet type charger things on apple notebooks. Or I wish I had a spare battery with and external charger.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
The 12-month warranty is running out for early buyers.
If this is a known problem, will Nokia USA still repair it free after that period?
Otherwise, what is a good way to secure the socket to the board?
Should we apply epoxy resin? The case is easy to open, but I do not want to void a warranty.
I can live without a USB data connection, but swapping batteries would be a pain.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty