Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 613 | Thanked: 547 times | Joined on Jul 2007
#11
How hard to implement can this possibly be? I am not a programmer, so really asking.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,076 | Thanked: 9,754 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
#12
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I use group MMS to broadcast to many people one item that would only be replaced with sending 10 people the same damn message over and over. Now that's wasteful.
Nonono, you got me all wrong!

I did not mean "wasteful from the point of the user", since this is absolutely efficient from the point of the user;

I meant "wasteful as there are many messages to be sent on the background, invisible to the user"
And also costly for those people that are on subscription that charges for number-of-sent-mms'es
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,076 | Thanked: 9,754 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
#13
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
How hard to implement can this possibly be? I am not a programmer, so really asking.
Not very difficult if it is implemented the way I described.
But, just as I had never heard about the feature or thought that it could be necessary, same might well apply to the developers at Jolla.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 4,823 | Thanked: 14,394 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#14
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Not very difficult if it is implemented the way I described.
But, just as I had never heard about the feature or thought that it could be necessary, same might well apply to the developers at Jolla.
I have not heard about group MMS either. But that is hardly surprising given that I have never sent or received a single MMS in my entire life. Still, I find this thread rather educational.

But Jolla developers are (should be) different animals. They develop an application implementing a given standard, they should know that standard.
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,076 | Thanked: 9,754 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
#15
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I have not heard about group MMS either. But that is hardly surprising given that I have never sent or received a single MMS in my entire life. Still, I find this thread rather educational.

But Jolla developers are (should be) different animals. They develop an application implementing a given standard, they should know that standard.
Yes, but that's just the point!

"Group MMS" is not a 3GPP standard, it seems to be an extension thought out later and implemented on some platforms.
@imaginaryenemy says it works on Android, WP, iOS and BB10 but as I googled a bit it seems it does not work correctly even on some Androids.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 570 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
#16
I would imagine that any issues with group MMS on the platforms I mentioned are with third party apps.

At this point group MMS is as ubiquitous call waiting.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 211 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
#17
Never even heard about the thing. I guess it isn't used a lot in Europe. The few MMS I've received in my life usually didn't contain the picture that was sent (some error at either end). I haven't received or sent an MMS for years.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,076 | Thanked: 9,754 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
#18
I use a lot of MMS'es, almost daily.
And indeed this is the first time I ever heard about Group MMS.

However, as @imaginaryenemy said, it seems to be a client implementation feature.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 726 | Thanked: 2,565 times | Joined on Apr 2012
#19
On the topic of network messages that SFOS doesn't implement: the other day I was reading about the missile that overflew Japan, and citizens living in the area received an alert on their phones. This reminded me that I've seen those alerts before, on Android phones, for flood warnings or Amber alerts. This seems like something SFOS should implement as well; it would not be good to be less safe in the event of a disaster because our OS did not display the warning.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
pichlo's Avatar
Posts: 4,823 | Thanked: 14,394 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
#20
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
On the topic of network messages that SFOS doesn't implement: the other day I was reading about the missile that overflew Japan, and citizens living in the area received an alert on their phones. This reminded me that I've seen those alerts before, on Android phones, for flood warnings or Amber alerts.
Cell broadcast? That is an old technology, implemented since the days of dumb phones. It would be a shame if SFOS did not implemented it but not surprising. There are quite a number of features that old "dumb" phones implemented better than new "smart" phones. Probably because they were phones, not multipurpose devices with the phone functionality bolted on.
__________________
In particle accelerators atoms are indeed not only touching each others. But banging together in a massive explosive orgasm.
-- nieldk in a TMO post
 

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:57.