Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Singapore
I'm soon to run a marathon. As I'll be carrying along my N900 througout the event anyway, I'm wondering how it could help me provide information during the run.

I'm aware of eCoach and I use it sometimes, but it doesn't do the things I list below.

I'd like the following functionalities:

Information useful for the runner
Distance covered so far
Remaining distance (planned)
Time so far
Pace last kilometer
Pace since start
Pace to target
Performance against 'shadow runner'. The 'shadow runner' keeps an exact pace for the target. The app would show how many minutes/meter ahead or behind of the 'shadow runner' I am.
Connectivity
Some family members might be interested in following how I'm doing, so I'd like the app to be able to share the following info:
SMS update every x kilometers
Twitter udpate every y kilometers (including link to Google maps, or similar?)
Settings

Configurable settings would be:
Activity (running, cycling, skating, skiing, ...)
Total distance to cover
Target time
Contact numbers for SMS
Frequency for SMS
Twitter account info
Frequency for Twitter
Incoming 'connectivity' might be fun as well to receive encouragement, not sure what that would look like. Someone replying to the SMS or replying to Twitter?

I'm sure this could be done with Qt Mobility, but as I've never worked with it, it might take me too long time, so I'm 'fishing' to see if someone else is up to the task

Cheers!

/Magnus
MobiTifo (which was formerly known as QSportsEvent) - Sports leagues tracking (mainly football).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magnuslu For This Useful Post:
I wonder who will run out first...you or the battery. I think the n900 hit the wall the day meego was announced. Just remember that extra 3 pounds in your pocket may feel even heavier after a few hours on the road.

Btw good luck, I have done 8 but not for 17 years (since I was 27).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Take a solar battery?
Extra pounds may or may not be heavy, depending on marathon and runner...

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Singapore
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
I wonder who will run out first...you or the battery. I think the n900 hit the wall the day meego was announced. Just remember that extra 3 pounds in your pocket may feel even heavier after a few hours on the road.

Btw good luck, I have done 8 but not for 17 years (since I was 27).
For the time I'm targeting, I'm not worried about the battery, but that says (a lot) more about my trust in the battery than in my speed.. No 3G and only GSM usually does the trick.
MobiTifo (which was formerly known as QSportsEvent) - Sports leagues tracking (mainly football).

The Following User Says Thank You to magnuslu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Montevideo
Existing programs could cover some of those needs. The Pedometer widget could give you some of the info, and SMSCON (or the google latitude client) could report to your family members where you are exactly. That approach shouldn't take a lot of cpu/battery (?) and you could add more pieces to the puzzle (or in the same spirit of those, add simple/generic enough pieces that give you that info and are useful for more situations).

i completed a marathon in may 2010 a month after i got my n900, didnt take it with me, took a smaller sony phone i had. in my opinion the n900 would have been too much of a distraction. (ie. running while using 2 hands with keyboard in landscape, not looking @ contour of the road)

i'll be doing it again next year & sorry to say it wont be going again..
i had to concentrate too much so the smaller one handed phone (no touch screen) was ideal for music & texting letting me get on with running.

i do like the sound of what you're after tho, i would probably use it for shorter training runs.

good luck! when & where is it btw?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Not to be rude. But I think you should buy an android phone. And depending on your final time. more than 4 hours, you might also want mobile charger to be sure.

bought a x10 just for training.
used n900 before. but its like day and nigt...n900 is not great for running.

Good luck with your marathon!

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
buy symbian phone that supports sport tracker:
http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELVzxFfl44Q

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
When running, I carry, but don't use, N900.
I also carry and use a small thin cellular phone as stopwatch.
It will soon lose cellular functionality (I don't enjoy phones locked to provider), but it is still good as stopwatch.
It's not Android; it's simpler; maybe, kind of Symbian, judging by menu, menu and menu structure of options.
It has no sport tracker.
I suppose it can live through more than eight hours without a charger even with stopwatch running; it makes the screen black when you don't press buttons, and it can live days and probably weeks while connected to network and doing nothing.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
I walked the 'four days marches' in Nijmegen, The Netherlands and used a GPS tracker that sends the current location to a server through gprs so that people can see where you are. The battery lasted a whole day even though i was walking for 9+ hours and IM-ing, SMS-in and mail to blog-ing. I assume that your target time is less than 9 hours so battery doesn't have to be a problem.