Active Topics

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Chennai, India
Situation:
Phone is locked. I just wanna know the time without unlocking it or disturbing it.

Actual and usual way I used to do:
I just slide open the keyboard out, but neither press any key nor touch the screen, just watch the time and the slide close it back.
The phone again goes back to locked state with the display going off again.

Note: security code lock is not enabled.

But recently this stopped working. I slide open the keyboard, see the time, slide close it back, but the n900 doesn't get locked. I have to lock it from the power key or the side key.

Note 2: Proximity sensor also stopped working a few days back, but is that any relevant to this??

I am taking it to Nokia care sometime soon, but what should I report this problem as??

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by manojkumaru View Post
Situation:
Phone is locked. I just wanna know the time without unlocking it or disturbing it.
Press the power button once, briefly. Whether using original lock screen, or QTLockScreen, display will light up with a lock screen and a 'Slide to Unlock' display, which also shows time and date (and possibly other info such), but I currently have QtLockScreen running). In the case of QtLockScreen, it can show more (email, sms notification, media controls etc.)

The Following User Says Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by manojkumaru View Post
Situation:

Actual and usual way I used to do:
I just slide open the keyboard out, but neither press any key nor touch the screen, just watch the time and the slide close it back.
The phone again goes back to locked state with the display going off again.

Note: security code lock is not enabled.

But recently this stopped working. I slide open the keyboard, see the time, slide close it back, but the n900 doesn't get locked. I have to lock it from the power key or the side key.

Note 2: Proximity sensor also stopped working a few days back, but is that any relevant to this??

I am taking it to Nokia care sometime soon, but what should I report this problem as??
You cannot. The mongs at the service centre do not actually know anything about hardware. Nothing. Not even a little.

The best thing you can do is type in dmesg RIGHT AFTER opening then closing the keyboard. The last messages you should see SHOULD correspond to the keyboard opening/closing. Personally I would do a COMPLETE reflash to eliminate any possibility of it being a software issue. If you give your n900 to the service centre...you WILL NOT get it back.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Sounds like it could be software - it's probably worth flashing it first to see if it fixes the problem.

That's probaly all Nokia will do anyway...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Chennai, India
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Sounds like it could be software - it's probably worth flashing it first to see if it fixes the problem.

That's probaly all Nokia will do anyway...
I am anyway about to reflash, because I have a problem with the proximity sensor which doesn't work now. I even removed the screen guard, but it still won't function on incoming / outgoing calls. Also the slide lock key is not working too.

But the weird thing i notice is the issue mentioned in the OP is not persistent. Sometimes it happens, and sometimes it works properly. Anyway, I have got the warranty yet and I hope nokia will have the hardware parts to repair mine

Thanks guys.