Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
i noticed your application isn't listed by the soundcloud website. Do you have to submit info to them for them to display it in their app's section?
You have to submit your application to the 'App Gallery'. I did this a few weeks ago, but it's still waiting to be approved.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 263 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
There's some problem with the last.fm scrobbler, I think... I tested listening two songs and it scrobbled the first one wrong (this song http://soundcloud.com/muk1/sick-n-snape-snippet got scrobbled so that artist name was Sick and song title was "n snape snippet") and crashed during the second scrobble. Otherwise seems like a very nice piece of software

EDIT: I tried listening to the second song again and app crashed this time also at the end of the song (probably when scrobbling). And third song I listened didn't get scrobbled at all. This is the crashing song: http://soundcloud.com/the-anobia-exp...brain-meltdown

Last edited by TNiga; 2011-10-28 at 20:12.

Originally Posted by TNiga View Post
There's some problem with the last.fm scrobbler, I think... I tested listening two songs and it scrobbled the first one wrong (this song http://soundcloud.com/muk1/sick-n-snape-snippet got scrobbled so that artist name was Sick and song title was "n snape snippet") and crashed during the second scrobble. Otherwise seems like a very nice piece of software
The scrobbling method attempts to work out the artist name from the track title, rather than using the SoundCloud artist name. I chose this approach because most SoundCloud uploaders will not be recognised by Last.fm, and many SoundCloud tracks use a artist - title naming format. The method will get it wrong in some cases, and in hindsight I think it might be better to simply use the SoundCloud artist name, as this will always be correct. It should never crash, as the code simply skips the scrobble if it can't determine the artist. I will test the second track now.

My website

GitHub

EDIT: I tried listening to the second song again and app crashed this time also at the end of the song (probably when scrobbling). And third song I listened didn't get scrobbled at all. This is the crashing song: http://soundcloud.com/the-anobia-exp...brain-meltdown
I tested the Brain Meltdown track (both streaming and after downloading) and the application did not crash. It simply decided not to scrobble the track, which is what I would expect given the method used. I think I will change it to the simpler method of using the SoundCloud artist name. One thing I did notice is that, for the downloaded track, the tracker metadata reports the wrong duration (5:10 instead of 4:08) it appears as 5:10 in both MusiKloud and the stock music player. It didn't cause any stability issues; the track simply ended after 4 mins 8 seconds without any problem. I downloaded it twice and got the same result both times.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 263 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I tested the Brain Meltdown track (both streaming and after downloading) and the application did not crash. It simply decided not to scrobble the track, which is what I would expect given the method used. I think I will change it to the simpler method of using the SoundCloud artist name. One thing I did notice is that, for the downloaded track, the tracker metadata reports the wrong duration (5:10 instead of 4:08) it appears as 5:10 in both MusiKloud and the stock music player. It didn't cause any stability issues; the track simply ended after 4 mins 8 seconds without any problem. I downloaded it twice and got the same result both times.
I tested the track three more times: first with scrobbling, then without and then again with scrobbling on. App crashed after the first listen, didn't crash after the second, and the third time was very interesting.. it kind of fast forwarded the track without any sound and crashed again at the end.

And for me MusiKloud shows the duration right (4:08).

I tested the track three more times: first with scrobbling, then without and then again with scrobbling on. App crashed after the first listen, didn't crash after the second, and the third time was very interesting.. it kind of fast forwarded the track without any sound and crashed again at the end.

And for me MusiKloud shows the duration right (4:08).
Bug is now fixed. I'll do some further testing to make sure before submitting the update this weekend. There was another bug that I discovered: a possible infinite loop when you attempt to play a track (except one that has been downloaded). This can cause a lockup of the main thread, resulting in the 'Application not responding' message. This is also fixed.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Hey Marxian! Using your fantastic app in a daily basis, i thinking would be great to share some experiences i have that can help you to polish the application, like:

I really like deeper dashboard options. Can be possible to scroll down through the dashboard view? currently only shows a few entries, may be 10, and from a person like me who follows a hell lot of people... i really need the option to scroll down (the "show more" button in the web page). And also, if possible, to delete the entries with your app, filter the dashboard entries (your dashboard settings > Tracks, activity in your tracks etc... that circle button right side dashboard )

Possibility to see in which tracks a selected artist post a comment? I prefer it rather than see their followers

Also i have some ideas regarding the UI (what about swipe to change pannels? not full swipe, just like when you swipe photos in the stock media app. You can make a carousel with Dashboard > You > Search, and using back button when you are "inside" one, like Dashboard + some artist's track, to bring you back. Much more like the Gravity symbian^3 app).
Some visual difference in dashboard between "Upload a new track", "favourited a new track", and "posted a comment"? may be different colors, or use a smaller font for others than "Upload a new track", i think a new track it's more important than the other two.

just saying some ideas i'm having right now, and again, thanks for your work! what do you think, is anything posted here even possible?

Last edited by Hariainm; 2011-11-08 at 19:37.

Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
*bump* ;-)
New version! Thanks Marxian, good to see you are still working on it

Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
*bump* ;-)
New version! Thanks Marxian, good to see you are still working on it
There'll be another update fairly soon, with event-feed integration for your dashboard.

Regarding your requests, there is a limit to what I can do with the dashboard, as I am relying on the feed that is provided by the API. I can do some processing of this feed (I already do this to group the entries into types of activity), but only within reasonable limits. The current limit is 30 entries. I can add the ability to load more. Filtering by activity type should also be easy enough.

I am not a fan of unnecessary swipe gestures in applications. Even more so when there are system-wide swipe gestures in place. In this case they would also seem to be less productive than the existing button-driven method, as it would (for example) take three swipes to get to the archive. This kind of thing is my main issue with Swipe UX. I'll take one tap over three swipes every time.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
HI am steve of argentina i canīt download musiklod of nokia store can you send me via mail please I have nokia n9 thanks

stevebrusa@hotmail.com

Tags
music, musikloud, soundcloud