Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
@pichlo you nailed it exactly on the spot!
I only regret I cannot give more than one thanks to your post!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
in a misguided attempt to attract more customers.
Misguided attempt? Android support is the top app in Jolla store with 50000+ downloads. Can you guess how much less people would buy Jolla without Android support?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 243kof For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by 243kof View Post
Misguided attempt? Android support is the top app in Jolla store with 50000+ downloads. Can you guess how much less people would buy Jolla without Android support?
Yes, hundred billion houseflies cannot be wrong; $hit is tasty indeed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Yes, hundred billion houseflies cannot be wrong; $hit is tasty indeed.

So to you everyone who uses Android support because they might actually want their phone to cover their needs is comparable to a housefly that likes $hit? Oookay....

Everyone else please feel free to return to the original topic if there's anything else to be said.. No need for more offtopic...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 243kof For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I would not put it as succinctly as juiceme, but I definitely consider Android support a double-edged sword and the decision to include it short-sighted. Yes, it may have attracted a few more users in the short term, but has caused an unspeakable damage in the long term. One obvious reason is that there is very little incentive to develop native applications. But there is another, even more serious reason. Keep in mind that if your sales tactic is, "it is not really a goose, look, it can quack like a duck", then you may attract a lot of buyers who do not really want a goose but a duck. This very thread is proof that those users will sooner or later become disillusioned when they realize that they have purchased a goose dressed as a duck.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
You make some good points.. .On the other hand without Android support there might not even be a user base to develop apps for in the first place.. Who knows.
I see this as the equivalent of Wine in Linux distros.. It might help someone make the switch from Windows to Linux, at first one will possibly want at least some of their familiar applications around.. then, as they learn about the wealth of free software available they slowly stop using Windows applications completely.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 243kof For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
The anti-android zealots continue to astonish me.

Without android support Jolla would not exist, basically. Vastly fewer people would have bought the J1 and thus even if they weren't financially dependent on the sales of that at the start, the pitches to licensing partners and venture capitalists would have had some seriously disappointing numbers in them.

And ok sure, everyone using android apps is a housefly willingly eating faecal matter, but approx. zero percent of important third-party app providers would ever write native versions for Sailfish. So there's no organic non-faecal alternative.
The only thing Android support has discouraged is a few core people in this community writing native versions of things (which as we saw with N9 isn't a vast array of software) - it has absolutely not discouraged official versions of things because they were never going to happen anyway.
Now you may say ah I don't need this nonsense - screw social networks, I am happy with usenet - screw twitter I have some federated commandline fiasco - screw these pokémangoes I don't need it - just realise that you are in the VAST minority and Jolla cannot survive on ubergeeks alone, you have to be able to entice other people onto the boat too or you're sailing nowhere fast.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I would not put it as succinctly as juiceme, but I definitely consider Android support a double-edged sword and the decision to include it short-sighted. Yes, it may have attracted a few more users in the short term, but has caused an unspeakable damage in the long term. One obvious reason is that there is very little incentive to develop native applications. But there is another, even more serious reason. Keep in mind that if your sales tactic is, "it is not really a goose, look, it can quack like a duck", then you may attract a lot of buyers who do not really want a goose but a duck. This very thread is proof that those users will sooner or later become disillusioned when they realize that they have purchased a goose dressed as a duck.
This reminds me of what happened with OS/2; one of its major selling points was that it could run Windows applications very well. With that in mind, few developers made native OS/2 applications, preferring to create Windows programs which would run cross-platform. OS/2 ended up with no ecosystem.

Jolla does have the consistent styling of native apps as a big plus however; it is instantly clear whether an app is a native Sailfish app or an Android app, and that does provide some incentive to provide Sailfish versions of apps. (That, and the ability to use Python, which is one of the most popular languages these days.)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Jolla does have the consistent styling of native apps as a big plus however; it is instantly clear whether an app is a native Sailfish app or an Android app, and that does provide some incentive to provide Sailfish versions of apps.
It is an incentive to use native apps in preference to alien ones, but is it really an incentive to develop native ones? I am not quite sure and would not argue either way.

Also, if you have a pretty native app that does 20% of the functionality versus an ugly alien one doing 100%, which one would you choose? We see the answers on TJC: the most common suggestion for the best browser is... Firefox on Android

Last edited by pichlo; 2016-07-12 at 18:33. Reason: Silly Jolla VKB.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
No, because the support for Android applications has been one of the big selling points of Sailfish OS since the very beginning.
I always thought it was a way to immediately get some users to cross over, while giving the developers time to get options up and running.

That last part didn't exactly work out as planned though. The devs have avoided app creation for the masses, only seeded their own wants/needs instead it seems.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: