Active Topics

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Hello!

The Pymaemo team got in touch with me regarding the pyside Qt debs they have built and uploading them to the maemo.org repos. Apparently there is a bug in gcc 4.2 that prevents them from building in the maemo autobuilder so they wanted the debs uploaded by hand.

I have done that and they are now in extras-devel in fremantle free. I have test the debs by downloading them into the SDK, but did not get around to using the debs in real code. If anyone has been waiting for the pyside debs with Qt, they are here! It would be great to get any feedback on downloading and pass along any pyside code feedback to the Pymaemo team.

Cheers,

Jeremiah

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeremiah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I went on a removal spree to be able to check stuff, make a few quick passes running some demos, and, in case someone is interested, impressions (and inevitable comparison to PyQt) before I head off to the PyMaemo list are:

- it does work
- HUGE libs. We're talking nearly (currently non-optified ~60MB here for the full pack *in addition* to Qt
- it's slow, the examples I tried ran slightly faster on a N810 with PyQt
- memory usage is a concern, it uses a LOT of memory, ranging (for the scripts in qt-examples) from 50% to nearly double the memory required when running PyQt.

My quick conclusion is - it is useable and good to start development, but still has a long way to go before it can be used to produce software that is to go into Extras.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Munich, Germany
Hi,

while waiting for the N900 to be available in the shops I want to get in touch with QT and Python on my N810.
For the beginning I just would like to sniff into the sample and tutorials like:
qt.gitorious.org/pyside/pyside-examples/blobs/master/examples/tutorial/t1.py

So for now memory/space/speed issues are not my concern.

I only want to explore the libs on the N810, not from a connected PC with an IDE. Just me, the N810, QT, Python, an editor and a terminal.

Do you think this is doable with PySide?

Will this lead me to the right way if I want to write small apps for the N900?

Or do you think I should start with PyQt4 first?

Bye.
Max

The Following User Says Thank You to vielfrass For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Check first if PySide is available at all on the N810 (=Diablo). You can experiment with both, they are sufficiently close that all the knowledge you gain is transferable.

In short - if you don't care about performance, go for the one that you find easier to set up.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: