Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I have no idea what a sandbagger is; I haven't been anywhere near Fargo ND.

EDIT: LOOKED IT UP! Hahaha, "To downplay or misrepresent one's ability in a game or activity in order to deceive (someone), especially in gambling" ... I told you I used Google, I looked up how to run a shell command in Python; 5 forum threads later, I found my answer. Cut and paste, move on. I needed to find out how to look for a string inside a string. That was pretty fast. I then found I had to convert my string to an integer. This time, it only took two forums and a reference work. I then realized you had only 5 pictures (I still have no idea how you make text files into pictures, that's cool), so I had to take my percentage number and divide it by 20 to get a number /5. Oh, and I had to figure out how to do if-then statements. I discovered that indenting is important in Python. So anyway, if hacking your script makes you think I'm a master programmer or something, that is hilarious!

Original post continues below:

But I never claimed I was a programmer. I just hack and spit-and-string whatever it takes together to make stuff work. Sometimes that means ugly dialogue boxes, other times that means derision from Real Programmers...

If I shouldn't have messed with your code, I'm sorry...

NOTES:
- I can't get that hal method to show anything except '100'.
- I wish you could show me how to make a box pop up when you click on the icon...
- After the warning box, the icon disappears!

Last edited by qole; 2009-03-30 at 03:22. Reason: Found out what sandbagging is. Hahaha!

Sorry, it was actually just a sad attempt at humor. I'm going to PM you.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
If I shouldn't have messed with your code, I'm sorry...
Now that's hilarious. I've never been married to any of my code. But I have left some at the alter.

Not so funny if you actually have access to my machines.

- I can't get that hal method to show anything except '100'.
It's a percentage and it has very loose ties to the status bar battery icon.

look at /usr/share/icons/40x40/hildon/qgn_stat_battery_*.png

When the status bar battery icon looks like qgn_stat_battery_full75.png that value should/might be 75, etc.

There's more to it than all this but I would have to dust-off some code to give you a better explanation. So, more on that later.

- I wish you could show me how to make a box pop up when you click on the icon...
Funny, I took it out when I created the timer. I put it back in your code. Same file names so...

batt-stat.tar

Popup menus are also an option you can consider.

- After the warning box, the icon disappears!
Silly demo; proof of concept. I set the program to end when the user removes the dialog. I fixed it in the above attachment.

I surveyed Advanced Power and Advanced Power Monitor. My opinion is that, because it's in Python, you have an opportunity to push back robust changes to that project in order to maintain one codebase. Maybe more a wish than an opinion.

I have plenty more to say on these topics, especially about hildon in non-hildon environments, but I'm too tired at the moment. And there are 6 icons. There backwards and their indexing is 0 based. Look at xpm.py. I created them with "Save As..." using the gimp. I then parse them with an awk script 'cause I don't know anything about plugins for that program. More later.

Last edited by daperl; 2009-03-30 at 15:33.

But I never claimed I was a programmer. I just hack and spit-and-string whatever it takes together to make stuff work. Sometimes that means ugly dialogue boxes, other times that means derision from Real Programmers...
Kal Kan already called, but I say f*ckem, let them eat cow. 'cause I'm gonna kick this dead horse one more time. I just saw this; it could be an interesting read. This topic is kinda, sorta inline with what I miserably failed to broach. And it will eventially lead you here.

Qole,

When running Skype under Easy LXDE have you succeeded in getting the microphone to work? Audio out works fine, but the microphone is dead.

--denis

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
daperl: The best thing about my N800 is that it is an ultra-portable Cave. I can retreat to my cave anywhere

Oh, and can you show me how to get a menu to pop up when you tap a system tray icon?
And can you show me how to use png files as the system tray icon? nevermind, I'm figuring out the gimp save-as thing... wish I had your awk script....

delaroca: I confess that I haven't tried Skype (or anything else that uses the mic). Perhaps jaeezzy's suggestion about not disabling multimediad might fix things for you...

Last edited by qole; 2009-04-11 at 23:27.

daperl: The best thing about my N800 is that it is an ultra-portable Cave. I can retreat to my cave anywhere
Is there internet-connected wireless in your cave?

Oh, and can you show me how to get a menu to pop up when you tap a system tray icon?
It was in the last tar file I attached. But no matter; I've attached a new tar with the xpm files and the awk script. Inside of batt-stat.py, the line that pops up the dialog reads:

self.statusIcon.connect('activate', self.on_activate)

...wish I had your awk script....
Remember, this is a one-off hack. Just in case I'm doing something gawk specific, do this first:

sudo apt-get install gawk

If that fails, move on.

Then call the script like this:

awk -f batt-stat.awk *.xpm > xpm.py
Attached Files
File Type: tar batt-stat.tar (40.0 KB, 115 views)

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
It was in the last tar file I attached. But no matter; I've attached a new tar with the xpm files and the awk script. Inside of batt-stat.py, the line that pops up the dialog reads:

self.statusIcon.connect('activate', self.on_activate)
I'm sorry, my request was subtly different; I want a menu, not a dialog. I would like to make something nicer to run maemo apps than that ugly 9menu I'm using now, and I thought a pop-up menu from the system tray would be super-cool. But I don't know how to do that...

I'm sorry, my request was subtly different; I want a menu, not a dialog. I would like to make something nicer to run maemo apps than that ugly 9menu I'm using now, and I thought a pop-up menu from the system tray would be super-cool. But I don't know how to do that...
Sorry about that. I was able to read yesterday; not sure what happened.

A conventional popup menu is not a problem, but can you be more specific about your expectations. In the meantime, I will create generic, conventional infrastructure by mocking something up.

delaroca: I confess that I haven't tried Skype (or anything else that uses the mic). Perhaps jaeezzy's suggestion about not disabling multimediad might fix things for you...
Qole, that's exactly the problem... leaving multimediad enabled brings back the microphone in Skype!

Thanks,

--denis

Tags
chroot, debian, easy debian, lxde, replacement