Notices

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Actually how about up-arrow toggles forward motion? Press once to start, once to stop. Sometimes i want to stop to 'turn on a dime'...
That would probably be the best way to get the functionality that I was thinking of.

Would http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=508399 allow playing Uqm with ps3 controller - any idea? That would be awesome!

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Short Answer Yes, or the accelerometer.

Background A kernel module called "joydev" is missing from the Maemo-distributed linux kernel. It is this module that creates a joystick device file that apps can access, so in its absence there's no way to generally support joysticks. I designed the Accelemymote utility to take accelerometer readings, create joystick events from them, and insert those events into the joystick kernel driver. Without that module, it is broken. Attila77, who has some experience packaging kernel modules for installation, volunteered to prepare the joydev module as an installable dependency of accelemymote. He has been very busy with other projects and the accelerometer control experience, as i mentioned before, turned out to be not all that great, so it's not been a big issue.

The joydev module is also attached to the bug report. When it's installed, uqm will see the accelerometer as a joystick. I assume if you try to use the controller, it will show up as joystick 2. It probably depends on when you connect it. If you run into problems i can fix things...i haven't really spent much time finishing and testing accelemymote since the missing kernel module problem became apparent. I originally planned to break it off as a separate app with a settings applet that would let you change the kinds of gestures it recognizes and how it translates them into joystick events, as well as adjust the sensitivity. That would have made accelerometer control possible for every game ported that accepts a joystick.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-02-03 at 17:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Attila77, who has some experience packaging kernel modules for installation, volunteered to prepare the joydev module as an installable dependency of accelemymote. He has been very busy with other projects and the accelerometer control experience, as i mentioned before, turned out to be not all that great, so it's not been a big issue.
Just realized the joydev has been sitting in my scratchbox for a while after failing to upload it some time ago to a (then) croaking autobuilder. Anyhow, I pushed the (hopefully) cleaned up version in extras-devel, please check if it's of any use to uqm...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
If I try to change the assigned keys in UQM with the joystick connected, it keeps assigning "J0 A6 -" to everything. I can get it to work by assigning everything to the keyboard keys the joystick sends for the other buttons before connecting the joystick, since most of the joystick sends keyboard keys too. Is there a config file I can mess with for UQM instead?

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
/home/user/.uqm/flight.cfg

What joystick are you talking about?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
cool. it's a ps3 sixaxis. I'm guessing axis 6 is tilt.

I posted in the old uqm thread awhile back does anyone have the old uqm packages for diablo as the repo seems gone? Or perhaps it could be updated?

I purchased a Game Gripper. It helps a lot in combat. There is just one problem: when in menus, I still need to use arrow keys to navigate. This means that I have to detach the Gripper for example to end Super Melee.

I vaguely remember reading something about that menus have different control scheme than rest of the game. Any way to fix/workaround this?

Originally Posted by OVK View Post
I purchased a Game Gripper. It helps a lot in combat. There is just one problem: when in menus, I still need to use arrow keys to navigate. This means that I have to detach the Gripper for example to end Super Melee.

I vaguely remember reading something about that menus have different control scheme than rest of the game. Any way to fix/workaround this?
After thinking more about this, the best way around the problem would probably be using the touch screen for navigating the menus. Would it be possible to implement this kind of feature (I noticed that Flandry had plans for mouse control of starmap, maybe this could be implemented at same time?)?

Tags
action, arcade, fremantle, games, maemo 5, rpg, space war, star control, starcon, the ur-quan masters, uqm