Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Winx64 needs definitely libusb32 (or use older XP/Win7 as 32bit)
the 'cmd' / flasher needs definitely to be run as administrator
first fix this
Which version of Win7? x64 or x86 (32bit)???
I assume 64bit.
Then you need libusb_win32 installed! And iirc also you have to create another config file? wiki should have all info...

--spoon edit
https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.ph...&postcount=154

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2019-01-15 at 21:17.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
ica, you are not making something wrong. Only Windows is kicking your a**.

The last thing missing is a driver (inf file) for the N900 usb mode.
This inf file is created by inf-wizard.exe which is contained in libusb-win32.zip in the /bin folder.

Extract the zip to any folder, start inf-wizard.exe as Administrator and follow this instructions.

You may still run into problems installing the inf/driver because it is unsigned.
Maybe it is just hitting "install anyway" when asked.

EDIT: Peter got a perfect explanation link above while i am typing

And do not scare away from the instructions for halftux image if you decide windows has had enough tries.

In simple words, live image boot explained.

1. Download this image containing all the stuff.
2. Download and install Win32DiskImager
3. Open Win32DiskImager and select the iso image you downloaded to be copied to an empty usb-stick.
4. Boot your computer from the USB-stick.

Do not worry, nothing will be changed or even damaged in your windows as it will not be touched.
If your computer does not boot from the usb stick when your leave it in during reboot, you may have to enter your computers bios by hitting a key during the first 5 seconds after power on.
Usually it is DEL or F2 or ENTER. Once in the BIOS, look for startup/boot options and set the usb device higher in boot priority by moving it up in the list of boot devices. Generally this is done with F5(up) and F6 (down).

If all is set to boot from USB, you will see a debian command prompt after boot up has finished.
It is an actual linux running from USB drive.

From there on i would explain further if you got there.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
guys I have changed the code!!!

1 last question: the N900 screen says code changed and now? can I unplug the phone or do I have to tipe something to exit?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ica For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Yaaaaay
You can now type poweroff to shut the phone down.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
I just follow mosens and peters info about what to install.
from the flasher 3.5, rescue OS1.3, recue OS n900 kernel 1.3zimage, libuswin 32 bin 1.2.6.0, extract inf wizard from bin...
its being hard, guys I nearly give up as per my last post but I must say that thanks to mosen I didn't. now im happy I didn't.

if it happens to someone else I d like to contribute here adding that the order of things was:

in promp command tipe as per mosen:
cd C:\program files(x86)\maemo\flasher-3.5>

now is when I connected the phone.

then tipe:

flasher-3.5 -k rescueOS_n900_kernel_1.3.zImage -n rescueOS-1.3.img -l -b"rootdelay root=/dev/ram0"

and then as per codetracer, Run inf-wizard.exe (bin folder in zip) - Run as Administrator and just click in next until the screen disappears.
then go again to the inf wizard and click in install now

and if I remember well that was it.

thanks guys again for all your help and patience

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ica For This Useful Post:
yeeeeees it works.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ica For This Useful Post:
I can guarantee you, this moment of nearly giving up is exactly what it needs to progress sometimes

Well done!

I was just having fun and feel really proud now that you did not give up
In the 90s i had a general computer business where we planned to sell self coded websites but totally failed in marketing and only attracted (rich) Windows users to debug.
I once literally drove 200Km from Cologne to Frankfurt and back just to unhide a windows taskbar. The CEO of a small Bank had accidentally pushed it into invisibility on his laptop he depended on to give a speech in the evening. I was not able to explain him for 1 hour on the phone how to unhide it. His stupidity drove me so incredibly nuts that i hopped in my car, drove 2 hours, made one mouse drag&move, presented 500DM bill, drove 2 hours back. Monty Phythons is nothing compared to the real world.

Have a great evening!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
This is what I miss the most. The official forum for my current device drives me nuts. When we get new update? Battery life sucks after new update! Google it, newb! That's all I see. Anything useful is just lost in the noise.

Ica, I'm glad you managed to get it going. To all those who contributed, thank you for keeping it friendly and approachable.

There is a shortcut in Windows by the way to open a command prompt at the current folder to save using cd. shift+Right Click a folder icon or a blank space in the folder will add an extra option in the pop up to open in command prompt or powershell. If won't open in administrator mode though, that needs some registry editing to add a new option.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Thanks guys. Just remember now that I found myself wondering if the code_reset input I had to told it on the command prompt of the laptop or in the N900 using its keyboard. I decided to try the N900 keyboard and hope code..... And then where 8s this key_? The lower line? _
Well found that if you press the top.left key (car ctrl) and the key with number 8 prompts the whole code_reset thing

In case anybody needs it 1 day.

Again thanks again to all of you who didn't give up and for us patience. It was important for me to bring back the phone to live. I'm not going to use it but at least it does work. It is crazy what a simple and stupid idea like locking then phone can turn into. So messy

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ica For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Originally Posted by ica
at this point is a bit about pride.
And now you can be proud of yourself

Now that you have learned your first steps in the console,
and if you feel adventurous, you may try out some other things with computers.

Using Linux is like a real world game. You choose a quest, explore a bit and work to the quest reward which brings you real benefits. The skills you learn along the way? Level up!

For example you say "I want to have a mediacenter".
After some search you find the Raspberry Pi and https://libreelec.tv.
And voila, you have mediacenter, friendly to your power bill, cheaper than any one offered in the local market, and way more capable.
(easy difficulty)

Other "quests" (medium difficulty)
  • Try Linux on a PC to be free of viruses and get more privacy
    Kubuntu feels familiar for Windows users
  • Install Nextcloud on an Raspberry PI to have your own home cloud
  • Try OpenWRT on your router (if compatible) to have it offer options like expensive ones
You will find help along the way in the many forums of the projects.

Last edited by Macros; 2019-01-16 at 14:27. Reason: Added some links

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post: